1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Sims 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2009/06/01/the-sims-3-review/1

The Sims 3 is finally out and, since we've been immersed in the game quite a bit lately, we've finally seen enough of the game to write a review and a quick graphics analysis. We're nice like that. Check out what we think of what will doubtlessly be a best-selling PC game for more info!

:rock:

2. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

This game will give us men some freedom for the summer... Once our wife's / girlfriends get their hands on this... we will be free to bask in the sunshine without interruption from her 'well and truly indoors!'

I upgraded the wife's PC to run this game.. probably overkill in the upgrade by the looks of it. An Nvidia 250 GPU Card, 4GB of memory and the X2 7750 should be more than enough to run it at 1680x1050 on high settings.

My mate is having to give up time on his own super gaming rig for his girl to play this game next week as his girl friend's PC no longer cuts the mustard so to speak and he cant afford to upgrade it... poor bloke !!

3. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Made my character, started a job, and got to the end of the career (happened to be my Lifetime Goal anyway). Spent my money upgrading the house, buying new equipment, building a pool.

Changed to the military career, got to the top, and turns out you get a pitiful wage and only one day of work a week. Around this time is also when I got incredibly bored. I'm fairly sure I had seen all of the important things to see, and see no need to ever play it again. It's just too easy, and then too repetitive. Even the things I have missed, I am not to arsed about, as the daily grind is just too boring.

Although, it is easily the best Sims to date. The problem is, that may be the thing that puts you off the most.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Seen everything? You obviously didn't die, come back as a ghost and carry on playing in the Afterlife.

5. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Godlike Feet! :D

And sorry for being picky - but shouldn't
    be "Avoiding falling into..." based on the next sentence?

I can sense having to upgrade the family pc for this... *sigh*

RwD

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

The link for the high quality picture ends with .jpg.jpg causing 404.

Sims? That's a MEH from me. A very loud one by the way. Never got what is fun about it. If you want to experiment with people's life go into politics or military sciences. :p

7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Fairly sure, not positive :p

Either way, my further sentence basically sums it all up for me. Although it sounds interesting, I don't think it is worth playing the game further just to see it. There was plenty of messing around with death in the first two, which I did experience, and to be honest, the core 80% of the The Sims 3 is exactly like The Sims 2. Although I'm fairly sure (again :p) that you can't come back as a ghost in the first two, I really can not be arsed playing the game again just to play as a ghost.

Typing this reply sort of triggered me to sum up my thoughts in a pretty good way; The game is basically based entirely around grinding, except there is no appreciable gain from doing so. Sure, there are some things worth seeing while you are doing so, but very little of it really means anything at all, since at the end of the day, so long as your Sim is alive, you have nothing at all to worry about, since nine times out of ten, tomorrow is going to be the same again. Go to work with the best mood possible, come home, work on stats or reports or making friends, and then go to sleep and do it all again tomorrow.

It just feels like EA's typical yearly sports release with a few extras, except it took much longer.

8. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

3rd party items and actions, turned my girlfriends Sims 2 into a very entertaining R rated fun playground for a week or so. She was not that impressed. :D If she ends up getting Sims 3 I might play it for a while just to manipulate game play.

9. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Boring game. Don't waste your money until the first 6-12 expansion packs come out. There are barely any items; few jobs; and you can do "everything" within a 6-8 hour window of gameplay which means playability: Zero. Give it 1-2 years and maybe then, after squeezing us for every penny via expansion packs will the game gain some (expensive) momentum. But comon, no robot like in the original Sims? *ONE* good bed? *ONE* good car? Where's the choice I've come to expect from this game after Sims 2?

10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

That's a good point I forgot actually. The choice in TS3 seems much worse off than it should be. There should be far more items.

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

+1 to Jasio, wait for the Expansion packs, it made TS2 and TS1 much better.

Hell I still play TS1, only because it runs on my old Toshiba with the crappy intel integrated(not even 3000 yet...)

If there's one reason for me to buy TS3(later on) it's for the architectural glee of making the biggest houses(and elaborate ones) without too much cost.

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It's the best Sims game so far IMO.

Only problem is it's a Sims game, I have a love-hate relationship with them. The gameplay is pretty awesome, but slew of expansions sucks majorly.

It's pretty expensive too as far as PC games go.

13. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Going to walmart at midnight and picking this up, great review

14. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Save your time and money. Wait till the expansions hit; you can get vanilla Sims 3 for less. Probably get the Sims 3 + at least one expansion for the current full retail cost of the game. Really, it's not worth it, game play and graphics aside.

15. DarkLord7854

Already got it, thoroughly enjoying it.

16. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

All these people saying wait for the expansions before purchasing...

the people who love the sims (ie my wife) are not gonna wait.... they have been waiting for this for about 18months !!!!! It may well not deliver on all aspects until the expansions come out, but it will certainly keep them busy for a while.

17. DarkLord7854

Oh it delivers fairly well, really loving what's available.

18. perplekks45

So, the sound is not worth it? :p

19. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

"completely open world " As long as it doesn't involve pairing a young girl with an old guy apparently. I wonder if you can pair a young guy with an old guy?

20. perplekks45

Fixed that for you and I think I already know the answer: Nope.
    A game coming from the US... really? :p
    You know, that country where they shoot their doctors for giving rape victims the chance of aborting "their" child? Yep, that's it.

Tags: Add Tags