bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 5th Jun 2009, 12:00   #1
bit-tech.net Staff
Staff

bit-tech.net Staff has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Bing goes live in Britain

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...earch-engine/1

Microsoft has opened its new search service, Bing, to British users. Bing launched in the US last week and has just launched in the UK. Let us know your thoughts on this new search engine below.

http://www.bing.com

Last edited by CardJoe; 5th Jun 2009 at 12:49.
bit-tech.net Staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2009, 12:52   #2
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
Newsflash, Google has cornered the market
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2009, 12:57   #3
lp1988
Ultramodder

lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star*Dagger
Newsflash, Google has cornered the market
and for a good reason, its just the most simple way. And "Bing" what kind of name is that, but hey good luck MS, you are going to need it.

NE AUDERIS DELERE ORBEM RIGIDUM MEUM.
lp1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2009, 12:58   #4
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
M'eh. What type of name is Google?

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2009, 13:07   #5
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Exactly what I was going to say, Joe.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2009, 13:16   #6
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
It's the kind of name for a good search engine, thats what kind of name it is, lol
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2009, 13:18   #7
theevilelephant
Ultramodder

theevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysis
I gave it a go and it seems perfectly fine. Similar enough to googles layout that people wont be scared off by it. And as a name "Bing" sounds just as good as "Google" to me.
theevilelephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2009, 13:20   #8
UrbanMarine
Government Prostitute

UrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the DremelUrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Bing sounds Chinese owned.
Old 5th Jun 2009, 13:20   #9
markwalker84
Minimodder

markwalker84 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Bing"

As in the sound Windows makes when it pops up an error?!
markwalker84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2009, 13:24   #10
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwalker84
"Bing"

As in the sound Windows makes when it pops up an error?!
Hahaha, excellent!

After reading the review on ITPro, I am fairly impressed. It is already a very capable and feature full search engine, but it also holds a lot of potential for improvement, being only a beta and not having all the features that even the Yanks get.
Old 5th Jun 2009, 13:30   #11
RTT
#parp

RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Right so we've got Windows Live Mail (formerly Windows Live Hotmail, MSN Hotmail and just Hotmail), Bing (formerly Live Search, Windows Live Search and MSN Search) and of course MSN (which does what now, exactly?)

I see they are focusing on simplicity.

I think i'll stick to Google's Search, Mail, News and Maps, thanks!
Old 5th Jun 2009, 13:33   #12
Yemerich
I can has PERSUADETRON?

Yemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I was first curious at it. Then i made a search in there looking for Bing from Carmella Bing errr... Not fo minors BTW
And the search returned the first page of its own engine (of course) and then lots of "BOING"...
A certain "Sabrina Boing Boing" that have 1,2 liters of silicon in each breast ruled the search from start to finish of the frist page.

And "NO" Carmella... I know its a beta, but my first impression wasn't a good one
Hades (Best advanced casemod design CP-Brazil 2010)

Take a look on my projects here.
Yemerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2009, 13:38   #13
neonplanet40
Supermodder

neonplanet40 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel

Old 5th Jun 2009, 14:03   #14
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I can't work out why it goes to multimap if I click on maps when I know 'Live' or 'Bing' has it's own maps engine.
Old 5th Jun 2009, 14:20   #15
b5k
Multimodder

b5k has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The best part is the video search with safe search disabled. Easier than trawling 10 different sites to find what turns you on.
b5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2009, 15:10   #16
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5k
The best part is the video search with safe search disabled. Easier than trawling 10 different sites to find what turns you on.
I never thought of that... *cough*

>_>

<_<
Old 5th Jun 2009, 16:08   #17
jezmck
I Mod, Therefore I Own

jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
There are googols of results!
Old 5th Jun 2009, 16:36   #18
yodasarmpit
No longer the other Brett.

yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I can't work out why it goes to multimap if I click on maps when I know 'Live' or 'Bing' has it's own maps engine.
I thought that was a bit odd, but multimap is now owned by Microsoft.
Old 5th Jun 2009, 16:53   #19
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTT View Post
Right so we've got Windows Live Mail (formerly Windows Live Hotmail, MSN Hotmail and just Hotmail), Bing (formerly Live Search, Windows Live Search and MSN Search) and of course MSN (which does what now, exactly?)

I see they are focusing on simplicity.

I think i'll stick to Google's Search, Mail, News and Maps, thanks!
exactly.. it's windows live.. but heck bing sounds better than yahoo

I'll stick with google- less to load it looks like I'm loading a farmscape on bing here in the states
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2009, 17:21   #20
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Where the heck did you find the possibility to disable safesearch on Bing?
I find google's video search...very badly sorted
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote