bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 12th Jun 2009, 13:19   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
MS to ship Windows 7 in EU without IE

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...eu-without-i/1

A leaked memo from Microsoft has revealed that the software giant plans to ship Windows 7 without a browser in Europ

More here: http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2009/06...eak-windows-7/

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2009, 13:27   #2
MiNiMaL_FuSS
ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

MiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming Saiyan
good.
Old 12th Jun 2009, 13:32   #3
Big Elf
I am even more invisible than usual

Big Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Good to see the EU concentrating on the important things, sorting out their own corruption might be a better use of their time.
Big Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2009, 13:36   #4
Psytek
Multimodder

Psytek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Both sides appear to have become petty IMO. It's like a playground squabble between two little girls.
Psytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2009, 13:36   #5
Bursar
Hypermodder

Bursar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How do you download your preferred choice of browser, without a browser? Command line FTP might be OK for the techies amongst us, but I can't see how my Mum is supposed to cope.
Bursar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2009, 13:42   #6
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
3 threads for 1 topic, awesome

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2009, 13:47   #7
logan'srun
following the footsteps of giants

logan'srun has yet to learn the way of the Dremellogan'srun has yet to learn the way of the Dremellogan'srun has yet to learn the way of the Dremellogan'srun has yet to learn the way of the Dremellogan'srun has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Elf
Good to see the EU concentrating on the important things, sorting out their own corruption might be a better use of their time.
Well, I see it as better time spent than maybe developing weapons of mass destruction wouldn't you agree? But if you'd rather we focus on other issues than corporate monopolies , I'm sure we can discuss it over a Big Mac and A Coke while we smoke a Marlboro in our Designer Levi's with our Nikes on, huh?
logan'srun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2009, 13:47   #8
Xlog
Supermodder

Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I am not surprised, you can't include every browser, and the authors of those not included will start bitching about it sooner or later, so the easiest way is to include none.
Anyway, if this "trend" continues, soon Microsoft will have no other choice but to ship only the kernel.
p.s. Does Apple ship Macs with any other browser than Safari?
Old 12th Jun 2009, 13:50   #9
tejas
Multimodder

tejas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
boo and hiss. I only use firefox but like having IE8 as a backup. As Bursar says above for people like our gfs, mums and sisters this will be utter crap. If MS have to remove IE then Apple should remove safari from OSX.
tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2009, 13:55   #10
pizan
that's n00b-tastic

pizan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
hahaha Am I the only one who thought this was great? Also speaking of monopolistic abuses isnt iPod and iTunes combo one too?

Edit: Thats right iTunes doesn't work well in the EU so nvm.
Old 12th Jun 2009, 13:57   #11
Nedsbeds
Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
haha Brilliant!
I hope it really pisses off the EU commision too
What a load of bloody rubbish the whole IE antitrust issue is. It is patently obvious that Microsoft should be allowed to include whatever software they like with windows. Every other OS developer does! If people really have an issue with being given free software then there is something wrong with them.
Nedsbeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2009, 14:07   #12
FatMikel
Statistically not that fat...

FatMikel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yay!

Well done EU! You've managed to reduce consumer choice! Brilliant!

I'm glad my taxes are being put to such good use. The people persuing these anti-trust cases need to be set on fire and left to burn, as far as I'm conerned. They do nothing good or worthwhile in this world. They are without worth as human beings.
FatMikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2009, 14:09   #13
pendragon
I pickle they

pendragon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
the more I hear about this the more lame it sounds.. don't like IE? Just download another browser ..sheesh .. I don't get how that's an antitrust issue .. if Microsoft, on the other hand, was making their OS intentionally break any other browser that tried to run on it, then maybe that would be different
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2009, 14:10   #14
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
i don't get the point of removing it. it just makes the OS less attractive to non-techheads.

what about Apple's host of programes that comes with OSX? what about Xcode vs Visual studio?
Old 12th Jun 2009, 14:17   #15
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragon
the more I hear about this the more lame it sounds.. don't like IE? Just download another browser ..sheesh .. I don't get how that's an antitrust issue .. if Microsoft, on the other hand, was making their OS intentionally break any other browser that tried to run on it, then maybe that would be different
I agree here. I could see a case if Microsoft were intentionally preventing you from installing another browser and/or breaking an additional browswer but as I far as I could tell they arn't. This ruling can only be bad for consumers (mainly because both Microsoft and the commission are acting like Ronaldo after his hair has been messed up.... but I digress).
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2009, 14:28   #16
NethLyn
Hypermodder

NethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for president
Jeez who cares, MS will just leave a download "stub" on the desktop to go and get IE just like they did with the Live Apps in Vista, the EU really is wasting time now. I only ever use IE for when people link me to Youtube Vids, online banking I use Opera and FF for everything else. Now with Safari and Chrome there's even more choice out there and more people know about it than the commission thinks.
Old 12th Jun 2009, 14:34   #17
Zut
Multimodder

Zut has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
On one hand, its nice to see a monopoly being challenged and sets a good precedent. Hopefully they'll go after Apple next and their various sins.

On the other hand, its only a freaking browser and no-one forces you to use it. For most people this is just a hassle (will it change IE's market share very much??) and it could make life difficult for developers who can no longer rely 100% on Windows as a web-capable platform.
Zut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2009, 14:34   #18
Tyrmot
Supermodder

Tyrmot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Not being able to upgrade straight from Vista is a pain in the a*** though.
Tyrmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2009, 14:34   #19
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'm kinda glad the EU ruling has been complied with its just typical of MS to do it in such an awkward way.

Though i don't see how the removal of IE can be conisderd breaking the up grade path, it does however help with the security by not having a web facing browser directly tied into the OS.
Old 12th Jun 2009, 14:37   #20
chicorasia
Multimodder

chicorasia has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlog
I
p.s. Does Apple ship Macs with any other browser than Safari?
They used to come with internet explorer. However, one can argue that with some 10% of the PC industry Apple does not hold a monopoly of the platform.
chicorasia is offline   Reply With Quote