bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Jun 2009, 11:33   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Ubisoft: Games to cost $60m soon

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...ost-60m-soon/1

Ubisoft boss Yves Guillemot has predicted that budgets for games will soon soar to a stunning $60 million USD.

CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 11:40   #2
Leitchy
Supermodder

Leitchy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Money well spent to be honest, there creating an experiance for $60 mil that lasts for 6 hours + in a game, when for the same money, your getting a 2 hour movie at most.
Leitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 11:47   #3
lewchenko
Supermodder

lewchenko has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
People still complain these days when a game gives less than 20hrs gameplay... which is crazy really considering you probably paid about £30 for it... The only way it will work when higher CGI etc is required is for shorter games which still give good value (say upto 6hrs single player plus multiplayer replay value) for the same price.

A good multiplayer online experience is key I think here to differentiate the good games that give value vs the ones that dont. Look at PC games like Battlefield 2, Supreme Commander and Left 4 Dead. Cost per hour of play must now be measured in peanuts for me since their multiplayer value is so good.

A movie at £13 say is 2hrs, so games are still good value. People's expectations are out of whack with reality.
lewchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 11:47   #4
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Agreed, pretty much.

Comparing their budgets to film budgets?

Games tend to be longer, and while some are as atrociously written as a Van Damme film, usually last longer and have more replayability than a movie has re-watch..ability?
2008 Mondeo estate
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 11:50   #5
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
AAA-grade games? When was the last time that one of those came around?
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 12:21   #6
mikeuk2004
What you Looking at Fool!

mikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Its alot of money needed for a gamble. Thats really what it is because you have no idea how well its going to sell.
Old 16th Jun 2009, 12:27   #7
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeuk2004 View Post
Its alot of money needed for a gamble. Thats really what it is because you have no idea how well its going to sell.
The same is true of movies - A producer/director/whoever can't reasonably say "This is going to make X million dollars" every single time.
2008 Mondeo estate
Old 16th Jun 2009, 12:27   #8
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxess
AAA-grade games? When was the last time that one of those came around?
Haha +1

It's true in a way, the last game I consider to be AAA was HL2. Not only was it the best (by far) single player FPS I had ever played, it also came with CSS, which had more playability for me than most people I suspect, since I had never played CS beforehand.

So to answer your question, 5 years ago.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 12:59   #9
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
Isn't it the big shots themselves that are setting these budgets? And now they start complaining!

These assholes are managing the wonderful art of the videogame into the ground.
Old 16th Jun 2009, 13:17   #10
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
The same is true of movies - A producer/director/whoever can't reasonably say "This is going to make X million dollars" every single time.
Unless it has Matthew McConaughey in it, in which case the director could pretty much polish a turd (and they usually do) and women will still flock to it. Guaranteed theatre-filler - bam!
Old 16th Jun 2009, 13:25   #11
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Got to agree with the multiplayer aspect adding a lot of value. I can't count the number of epic, several hour long multiplayer sessions of SupCom I have had.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 13:30   #12
liratheal
Sharing is caring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007 View Post
Unless it has Matthew McConaughey in it, in which case the director could pretty much polish a turd (and they usually do) and women will still flock to it. Guaranteed theatre-filler - bam!
Hahahaha. I can't say I've experienced any of his films, or any woman-based crazying over him. Perhaps I ought to hang around with more females..
2008 Mondeo estate
Old 16th Jun 2009, 16:02   #13
Er-El
Supermodder

Er-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
He's just making excuses for games continuing to be too expensive or maybe getting even more so with the next generation of consoles.

It doesn't make sense to me how we hear all these reports about games selling better than movies and music; a game costing less to make than a full length action-CGI movie like Transformers 2, The Matrix, whatever; a movie costs £6/$10 to go and see at the cinemas and a bit more to buy the DVD, yet games still are still priced £30/40!
Er-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 16:30   #14
Chocobollz
Multimodder

Chocobollz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Maybe we should start making another company named "Singkong-soft"? :-)
Chocobollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 18:14   #15
metarinka
I *am* a Dremel

metarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Er-El
He's just making excuses for games continuing to be too expensive or maybe getting even more so with the next generation of consoles.

It doesn't make sense to me how we hear all these reports about games selling better than movies and music; a game costing less to make than a full length action-CGI movie like Transformers 2, The Matrix, whatever; a movie costs £6/$10 to go and see at the cinemas and a bit more to buy the DVD, yet games still are still priced £30/40!
the user base for a console game is much smaller than movies which appeal to a broader audience. IF you go see transformers 2 with a family of 4 that's ~$40 in tickets. If you buy a game for your whole family that's ~$60 per family, no one buys more than one copy. and the consoles only have several million users where as pretty much everyone can go watch a movie on several different continents.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but you would be surprised how much it costs to employee 100 people for the 1+ years it takes to make a polished game especially creating all the content that's the real time sink and it only gets bigger as graphics improve.
metarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 20:56   #16
VaLkyR-Assassin
Multimodder

VaLkyR-Assassin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I can't believe people here are actually justifying the ridiculously small game-playing times; have you gone mad? What ever happened to great games that you could play for hours on end? When I think of all the great games I've played, they're nowhere near the tiny level given as acceptable here. I'm glad those people aren't in charge of these game companies.
VaLkyR-Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote