bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Jun 2009, 12:04   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Who Should Review Monkey Island: Special Edition?

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2009/06...and-special-e/

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 12:18   #2
Silver51
I cast flare!

Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I think Harry should review it, and Joe made to watch over his shoulder... in silence.

In all seriousness though, why don't two people do a write up? Joe and someone who has never touched the series?
Silver51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 12:18   #3
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
It's funny that this question has only come up with Monkey Island: Special Edition. I mean, reviewing games you've already played another version of and know very well has happened many times in the past. You, Joe, for example reviewed Braid PC. Should you have given it to someone else, because you knew what to expect? Mass Effect PC was the same. In those cases, you really were reviewing what the changes to the original were, and to be honest that's all you're going to be doing for M.I. S.E.

So, I say, go ahead and review it if you like, it's hardly being "unjournalistic" if you use your past reviewing policy as a base. However, getting a total M.I. noob to play it would be interesting in the same way getting Faith to play through Fable 2 was. Both are valid for different reasons, so it's really just up to you.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 12:24   #4
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The question is two-fold then; firstly, do you think I can be trusted to review a Monkey Island game fairly?

No. I believe that you'd approach the review with the adoration that you've already expressed for the game, and probably wouldn't come out with a review that truely reflects all the negative points in the game.

However, your (Joe) perspective would be important. Infact, I would suggest that (Like your Team review of the drinks a while back) two of you review it together.

Secondly, who would you like to review this game instead?

Someone who doesn't;

A: Love the game (presumably) unconditonally.
B: Know much about the game.

My gut reaction says Clive and Joe. Separately, so Clive's review doesn't get contaminated by Joes Monkey Island love-excretions.

Though, if Clive's been avoiding Lucas Arts adventure games for this long, there has to be a reason.

Perhaps Harry?

How long should a reviewer be stuck for before he uses a walkthrough and, if they only use a walkthrough for a single puzzle, should they still mention it in the review?

However long the reviewers patience holds out.

Mentioning the use of a guide is an absolute must. Not only so that we know you're not the next gaming messiahs, but to prevent 'splashback' if it were to later emerge that a guide was used and it was glossed over - I'd see it casting doubt over the final score and possibly over other game reviews. IMO reviewers walk a tightrope of trust - We readers trust you (almost) with our wallets, bending that by glossing over some facts would probably not end well. At least, not for me.
2008 Mondeo estate
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 12:29   #5
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul View Post
It's funny that this question has only come up with Monkey Island: Special Edition. I mean, reviewing games you've already played another version of and know very well has happened many times in the past. You, Joe, for example reviewed Braid PC. Should you have given it to someone else, because you knew what to expect? Mass Effect PC was the same. In those cases, you really were reviewing what the changes to the original were, and to be honest that's all you're going to be doing for M.I. S.E.

So, I say, go ahead and review it if you like, it's hardly being "unjournalistic" if you use your past reviewing policy as a base. However, getting a total M.I. noob to play it would be interesting in the same way getting Faith to play through Fable 2 was. Both are valid for different reasons, so it's really just up to you.
Actually, Braid was the exception. In the past I've avoided reviewing the same game twice wherever possible - which is why Andy reviewed Mass Effect and Mirror's Edge on consoles first, then I reviewed them on console, with the later PC review being about looking at what is new for the PC release. In the case of Braid, that wasn't a lot - and the review suffered for it IMHO.
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 12:35   #6
ArtificialHero
We were just punking him sir!

ArtificialHero has yet to learn the way of the DremelArtificialHero has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I second the idea that it should get two reviews - one from Joe, and one from someone who is unfamiliar with the series.
Old 16th Jun 2009, 13:06   #7
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Adnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for president
I think that the biggest problem with Joe reviewing a Monkey Island game is that he fights like a cow when he should be fighting like a dairy farmer.
Old 16th Jun 2009, 13:09   #8
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnoctum View Post
I think that the biggest problem with Joe reviewing a Monkey Island game is that he fights like a cow when he should be fighting like a dairy farmer.
+ Rep for awesomeness.
Old 16th Jun 2009, 13:32   #9
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How about a review by someone not so... overly familiar with the MI games and an opinion piece or addendum by Joe, at least then we can see if it's as good as the original (from a MI fan perspective ) or if something has gone drastically wrong.

Quote:
Or should we just tell Jamie to review it instead?
oh, go on then.

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 14:04   #10
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think I'd be almost as biased as Joe but then the writing would be so bad you'd have trouble making sense of what I was trying to say about it.
Old 16th Jun 2009, 14:07   #11
dr-strangelove
Multimodder

dr-strangelove has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think that having two reviewers is a good idea, since the new game comes in two modes you could have Joe review the 'retro' mode to see if it stands up to his expectations and have someone unfamiliar with the series review it in the newer mode. Or vice versa.
dr-strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 14:51   #12
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

You know, I made a little promise to myself when I wrote this blogpost that if anybody responded by saying "Me - I should review it instead of Joe or Clive or Harry" then I'd oblige and send the game out to them.

Unfortunately, nobody did and I've decided not to do it now. Ah well.
Old 16th Jun 2009, 15:14   #13
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe View Post
You know, I made a little promise to myself when I wrote this blogpost that if anybody responded by saying "Me - I should review it instead of Joe or Clive or Harry" then I'd oblige and send the game out to them.

Are you sure you don't want to reconsider?
2008 Mondeo estate
Old 16th Jun 2009, 15:21   #14
coolius
Multimodder

coolius has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just write two reviews of course, one for the enlightened, and one for the rest.
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64

coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 15:56   #15
tejas
Multimodder

tejas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Richard "bindibadgi" Swinburne all the way to review Monkey Island!!
tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 16:00   #16
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:

It's basically because everyone knows, at the back of their mind, despite what they say/type that there's really no other answer other than to get you to review it. Nobody else would be prepared enough to give it the review it deserves.

I can only say now, with retrospect, that I wish I had said 'me! me! me!'

Ah well.
Old 16th Jun 2009, 16:13   #17
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
I think I'd be almost as biased as Joe but then the writing would be so bad you'd have trouble making sense of what I was trying to say about it.
write it in PHP then

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 16:19   #18
liratheal
Sharing is caring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifter3000 View Post
write it in PHP then
I'm not sure that'd make it easier for us to digest, without learning PHP :B

I don't want to do that, on the off chance the coders on NR start asking me for input :/
2008 Mondeo estate
Old 16th Jun 2009, 17:27   #19
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
What? I can't understand what you just wrote.
Old 16th Jun 2009, 20:48   #20
Red 5
Hypermodder

Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I want to review it. Grim Fandango corrupted my save and I never went back, though I was enjoying it until then. Hence I have an equal blend of enthusiasm and scepticism.

Quote:

Aw nuts!