bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Jun 2009, 14:49   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Toshiba claims 16nm breakthrough

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...breakthrough/1

Toshiba believes it has answered one of the major problems with using strontium germanide in the production of 16nm process size chips.

CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 15:59   #2
PT88
Minimodder

PT88 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
stropy germans wot?
PT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 16:46   #3
Jojii
hardware freak

Jojii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
slurpy gerbils rot?
Jojii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 17:11   #4
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.
surplus giblets not?
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 17:38   #5
Isitari
Multimodder

Isitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
That is quite AMAZING! 16nm from 32nm that's a 50% reduction in one go!

From a Physicists perspective this is quite astounding.
Old 16th Jun 2009, 19:23   #6
Ape
Suck my barrel

Ape has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Although the technology is confined to the lab at present"

When will we see the chips?

Place your bets

1 year - 100/1
2 years - 10/1
3 years - evens
Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 21:30   #7
RotoSequence
Lazy Lurker

RotoSequence has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Isitari: the reason the breakthrough is significant is not for a jump from 32nm to 16nm (the manufacturers still are planning to scale down to 22nm first), but because it was previously thought to be impossible to construct a 16nm chip using standard bulk CMOS processes that are in use across the board today, due to quantum effects. Now there is another manufacturing process breather before materials other than substrates etched on silicon are needed.
Old 16th Jun 2009, 22:10   #8
Elton
Proud Model M User

Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.
i'd place my bets on 7 years, my odds of winning: 100/100000

Chance of payout: 0/0.
Old 16th Jun 2009, 22:45   #9
OWNED66
Multimodder

OWNED66 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That's nothing like the chips ive seen which were OVER 9000nm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OWNED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2009, 00:46   #10
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1GBUD
surplus giblets not?
It's Stroggnium Germacide, used in Quake 4 for crafting new Stroggos fighters, duh
Old 17th Jun 2009, 01:02   #11
Turbotab
I don't touch type, I tard type

Turbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
IMO graphene is currently the most interesting material, as it will allow CPU designers to ramp up the GHz. Until the software devs can (if) create programs that will utilise the upcoming many core designs, more hertz, as any gamer will attest, is the way to go. Just imagine for a second, a multi-core CPU running at 10s or 100s of GHz............
Turbotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2009, 03:14   #12
woodshop
UnSeenly

woodshop has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Toshiba makes chips.. news to me.
woodshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2009, 03:17   #13
notatoad
pretty fing wonderful

notatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
the cell chip in the PS3 was partly developed by toshiba. not sure what else they're into though.
Old 17th Jun 2009, 03:30   #14
Elton
Proud Model M User

Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.
Hey, Hitachi makes HDDs, and Fujitsu still lives of NAS and SAS drives.
Old 17th Jun 2009, 06:13   #15
Otto69
Supermodder

Otto69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Strontium Germanide? Sounds like something the Red Skull would be working on to kill Nick Fury with.
Otto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2009, 09:45   #16
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotu1 View Post
It's Stroggnium Germacide, used in Quake 4 for crafting new Stroggos fighters, duh
I never bothered to play Q4.. as it felt very much like Doom 3, but thanks for the re-adjustment ;o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodshop
Toshiba is one of the world leaders in semi-conductors.
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2009, 12:12   #17
Turbotab
I don't touch type, I tard type

Turbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodshop View Post
CMOS are also found in a wide range of products including cameras and camcorders.
Turbotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2009, 12:46   #18
nicae
Multimodder

nicae has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Toshiba is obsolete. They are making only 16nm when there is already 32nm. Two times the nm! And I want MOAR!!11
C2D E8400 :: PNY 8800GT 512MB :: 2x2GB G.SKILL Pi Black DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 :: Asus Maximus Formula :: WindowsXP SP3 :: 2x320GB HDDs RAID0 :: Zalman CNPS9500 LED :: OCZ Freeze :: SevenTeam ST-550PAG 550W
nicae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2009, 15:41   #19
mirciu
Minimodder

mirciu has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicae
Toshiba is obsolete. They are making only 16nm when there is already 32nm. Two times the nm! And I want MOAR!!11
not to burst your bubble, but 16nm is better, AS IS smaller, which means on the same die you have more transistors hence MOAR power....euh..read the fricking article
Old 17th Jun 2009, 15:55   #20
Ape
Suck my barrel

Ape has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicae
Ok, come in, grab a seat, and get comfortable, you are with friends and we will teach you.

Lesson 1. Chip sizes.

less > more
Ape is offline   Reply With Quote