bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Jun 2009, 15:00   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Dell's XPS Gaming brand to disappear this year

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...and-to-close/1

Following a number of whispers at Computex, we have learned that Dell is to close its XPS Gaming brand soon.

Old 16th Jun 2009, 15:41   #2
Singularity
Supermodder

Singularity has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well, it makes sense from a company perspective... but the end result will be that gaming PCs from dell will all cater to the "zomg alienz! kewl!!!11One" crowd... I much prefer the XPS design style than the over the top Alienware one...
Old 16th Jun 2009, 15:49   #3
AlexB
Web Nerd and WC Addict

AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.
And the price of the XPS boxes was always a bit easier to swallow.

Oh well, it's not like most of us were going to buy either, anyway..
Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen. That's the last sensation I had before I blacked out; that thick smell of asphalt. She said she'd fix my bike. Free. No strings attached. I shoulda've known then that things were never that simple. Yeah, when I think of Maureen, I think of two things: Asphalt, and trouble.
1: Intel I7 2600k, ASUS P67 Pro, 16gb Corsair, AMD 7970 (3gb), Corsair 256gb SSD
2: Intel I7 2600k, ASUS P67 Pro, 16gb Corsair, Nvidia 680GTX (4gb)
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 16:25   #4
lewchenko
Supermodder

lewchenko has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ive never bought an XPS or Alienware desktop PC as I build my own, but I know someone who has bought an XPS gaming rig... and whilst I considered it expensive, it is decent in spec, and has been reliable. I also quite like the look of them.

I do not like their use of proprietary components though in some aspects.

People often attack Dell for quality issues etc, but they also do some good stuff... the PC market would be a worse place without them ! I see the Dell Studio XPS 16" line won awards in this month's latest PC PRO... and they claimed the screen was one of the best they had seen... so its not all dodgy !

Ive always considered Alienware stuff to be a bit too much over priced though...more so than the XPS range.
lewchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 17:29   #5
Denis_iii
Ultramodder

Denis_iii has yet to learn the way of the DremelDenis_iii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
no loss in my opinion and a good move though if the choice was between alienware and dell i'd go with the XPS
Denis_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 19:18   #6
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
thats funny Dell bought Alienware to make their XPS systems better and so on but they made Alienware constrained to their low quality building practices so of course nothing improved and both companies got pulled down, ehh but as others have mentioned no loss at all.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 19:52   #7
frontline
Punish Your Machine

frontline has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfrontline has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Always preferred the styling of the XPS branded stuff, which was a lot better value for money (even if it was still far more expensive than building your own).
Intel Core i7 2600K| Asus P8P67-M PRO R3 | Corsair H70 Hydro Series CPU Cooler |Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.65V | Sapphire HD 6990 4GB GDDR5 | Crucial M225 128Gb SSD | Asus Xonar DX | LG W2261VP | Corsair GS800 PSU
frontline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2009, 21:21   #8
Abbo
ATi or Nvidia?

Abbo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Well, it makes sense from a company perspective... but the end result will be that gaming PCs from dell will all cater to the "zomg alienz! kewl!!!11One" crowd... I much prefer the XPS design style than the over the top Alienware one...
Have to agree, prefer the look of the XPS over Alienware.

Are they thinking of replacing it with the Alienware, or will they bring out another model?
Abbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2009, 04:04   #9
regnez
What's a Dremel?

regnez has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post

False. I got my parents an XPS One (the 20" one) from the Dell Outlet about a year ago for ~$550, which is outstanding value, particularly for an AiO.

Sure, the outrageously high-end gaming desktops are overpriced, but lately Dell has been branching out its XPS line to include all sorts of high-quality, award-winning notebooks aimed squarely at the mid-range market. Also, it doesn't hurt that most XPS computers come with a three year, on-site warranty as standard.

The XPS line was not for everybody, but no computer is, and I'd be disappointed to see it go.
regnez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2009, 11:27   #10
tron
Supermodder

tron has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltron has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The streamlining thing definitely makes business sense, of course.

But according to my personal taste, they are getting rid of the wrong gaming brand.

XPS styling is much nicer and minimal than Alienware desktops. XPS cases are also much better for air cooling efficiency than the 'front closed door' Alienware style.
tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2009, 14:21   #11
Denis_iii
Ultramodder

Denis_iii has yet to learn the way of the DremelDenis_iii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by regnez
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post

False. I got my parents an XPS One (the 20" one) from the Dell Outlet about a year ago for ~$550, which is outstanding value, particularly for an AiO.

Sure, the outrageously high-end gaming desktops are overpriced, but lately Dell has been branching out its XPS line to include all sorts of high-quality, award-winning notebooks aimed squarely at the mid-range market. Also, it doesn't hurt that most XPS computers come with a three year, on-site warranty as standard.

The XPS line was not for everybody, but no computer is, and I'd be disappointed to see it go.
i don't think they are dropping the xps line, just the gaming xps line
Denis_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2009, 05:56   #12
dyzophoria
Supermodder

dyzophoria has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
makes sense, the alienware brand has well been tied up to gaming desktops (and laptops) for I can remember, makes no sense why a single company would have 2 different Brands for gaming rigs even though the XPS gaming brand has been catching on quite well.