bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 17th Jun 2009, 10:17   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
How to set up Folding@home

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/softwar...folding-home/1

By running the Folding@home software you can contribute to the world's largest supercomputer and help medical research. You can fold on CPUs, GPUs and under almost any OS going. Our guides will show you how to make the most of your hardware.

Old 17th Jun 2009, 10:40   #2
PT88
Minimodder

PT88 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I know folding@home is for a good cause and all, but is having your PC running full whack all the time not hard on your wallet, lecky style?!
PT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2009, 10:42   #3
MajorTom
Multimodder

MajorTom has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I agree with PT88. It's a noble cause but I can't afford to do this.
Old 17th Jun 2009, 11:11   #4
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT88
I know folding@home is for a good cause and all, but is having your PC running full whack all the time not hard on your wallet, lecky style?!
Article needs more disclaimer imo, TV style "make sure you have permission from the bill payer"...
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2009, 12:27   #5
alpaca
llama eats dremel

alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Although you can look at the text log files each client produces, a better method is to use a third-party application such as [eurl=http://fahmon.net ]FahMon[/eurl]

i guess there is something wrong
Old 17th Jun 2009, 12:29   #6
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpaca
Although you can look at the text log files each client produces, a better method is to use a third-party application such as [eurl=http://fahmon.net ]FahMon[/eurl]

i guess there is something wrong
Fixed, thanks. Tiny typo...

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2009, 12:29   #7
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
My house has electric central heating, so I run FAH whenever I'm at home during the winter, as it makes sense to me to be doing something useful with the power before it gets dumped into the room as heat - basically using my PC and PS3 as heaters. In the summer, though, I don't fold - electricity is too expensive; I don't believe in leaving electrical goods on more than necessary; and my place gets hot enough as it is without adding to it!
Old 17th Jun 2009, 12:29   #8
StephenK
Sneak 'em Upper

StephenK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I just turn it on when I'm doing other things. My pc would be on most of the day and I haven't really noticed much of a difference bill-wise using one core for folding and carrying on with email, browsing,etc on the other.
Intel e6600 - 4gb Corsair Twin2X 6400C4 DDR2 - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro + Silver 5 - Gainward GTX260 Golden Sample 896MB - Dell U2410 + iiyama E2200WS - Black Coolermaster ATCS 840 - Corsair HX620 - Asus P5B Deluxe - 1tb F3 - 1tb F1 - 320gb T166 - X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Creative Inspire T6100 - Razer Lycosa and Razer Mamba
StephenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2009, 12:55   #9
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Frankly excellent article James. I tried setting up F@H a few times, and ran in to so many problems, with fixes hard to find, that I just gave up.

Everything needed is nice and tidy in this article. Well done.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2009, 13:29   #10
tripwired
Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

tripwired has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltripwired has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltripwired has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltripwired has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltripwired has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice write-up, thanks for the guide. I've now got started with my local PC and two 24/7 servers - configured to contribute to the bit-tech/cpc team of course!.

That FAHMon tool is pretty sweet too, I was a bit confused by it at first as I was pointing it to the F@H directory and it wasn't picking up the client - but that wasn't where the FAHlog.txt file was. Found it in the C:\Users\%NAME%\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-x86 (example path is from Windows 7).

CASE
Antec 300
OS Windows 8 Pro MB Gigabyte P55-USL3 CPU Intel i5-750 (2.66GHz) RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz HDD OCZ Octane 256GB, Samsung 2TB x4
tripwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2009, 15:00   #11
Dave_M
Modder

Dave_M has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
W00t what a complicated setup! I already set mine up before reading the artical. Turns out I did some things wrong.

But why is it better to run SMP compared to 2 regular clients? Plz explain.
Dave_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2009, 15:46   #12
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
In short - you'll get far more points per day running an SMP client on a dual-core CPU than two standard CPU clients.
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2009, 16:02   #13
pullmyfoot
superbacon

pullmyfoot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
When you guys all complain of hot summers, you arent thinking of people who live in heat all the time. Here in Singapore a cool day would be 25-27 degrees. Hot will be like >30. Its usually in between.
pullmyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2009, 16:33   #14
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
Pah! 30C is nothing, when I used to live in Dubai it was regularly 45C+ for a large part of the year. Now that I live in the UK again I can fold more easily (and use the farm to heat my house nicely too )
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2009, 19:10   #15
C-Sniper
Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
small disclaimer (and i might be wrong on this one but this is what i am getting) the smp client for Linux is for x64 only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz View Post
hmm you seem to know a lot about guys.. I was wondering- if I put a piece of plywood down my pants, would that be enough to protect me from rear attacks.. like in a circus bathroom or high scale restaurant
C-Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2009, 03:33   #16
Boddaker
TRON CAT!

Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.
Once I finish Trident, I plan to set up GPU folding on it, as it will have three video cards. However, I only have two monitors at the moment, and F@H requires each video card to have a monitor connected in order for it to recoqnize the card. Could you go over how to "fool" the folding client into thinking that there are more monitors plugged in? Some sort of wiring trick with the DVI port or something. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by my brother
Is the name "Neptune's Trident" something you came up with? I can't see how a planet and chewing gum are related.
Boddaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2009, 13:04   #17
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Connect the VGA cable from one of the monitors to the third gfx card? (assuming your 'using' DVI and they have both )
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2009, 13:24   #18
zoot2boot
Multimodder

zoot2boot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
mmm. i don't see any particularly amazing science coming out of this. just a whole bunch of wasted power messing up the environment... and scant justification for that faster cpu, that new graphics card. bit of a weird obsession imo.
zoot2boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2009, 13:43   #19
uncle_fungus
P/T Folding@home developer

uncle_fungus has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Define "amazing science"
uncle_fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2009, 14:00   #20
uncle_fungus
P/T Folding@home developer

uncle_fungus has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I know this is probably a little late now, and I haven't compared this to the print article in issue 70 either, but there are several misnomers on page 4 of this article.

First, the -local flag is deprecated and does precisely nothing in the version 6 clients since the registry is no longer used to determine the working directory for the clients. -local is implicit in version 6.

Second, multiple console clients (of the same type) can be set up in exactly the same way as the system tray clients. You only need 1 executable which is shared by all clients. The "Start in" folder is what determines where the client actually works from.

Edit: Why can't I delete my own incompetent double-post?
uncle_fungus is offline   Reply With Quote