bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Jun 2009, 11:14   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
AMD creates TWKR overclockers' chip

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...lockers-chip/1

AMD is sending out small quantities of a secret new processor called the Phenom II 42 TWKR, specifically aimed at overclockers and top-end gaming systems.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2009, 11:17   #2
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/...highlight=twkr

^^ More info and discussion.

I especially like this jibe at the 42 name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle View Post
No, you're looking at it the wrong way. It's obviously 42 as in: Phenom II: The Answer to Life, The Universe, and Everything Edition
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2009, 11:28   #3
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I thought that joke was 43?

Anyway, AMD should really design a better chip than having Ghz waving competitions with (themself?).
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2009, 12:14   #4
Gremlin
Multimodder

Gremlin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think its a bloody brilliant thing

Why not target extreme overclockers etc, they are the ones who would pay a premium for the top chip, especially if its designed for them to begin with, i think it is a BRILLIANT move there is no other way to look at it imo
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2009, 12:55   #5
Goty
Supermodder

Goty has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3n
I thought that joke was 43?

Anyway, AMD should really design a better chip than having Ghz waving competitions with (themself?).
It's publicity, and that's (almost) never a bad thing.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2009, 14:46   #6
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The 42 TWeaKeR edition I was searching my socks off since the announcement last week for benchmarks. Did not find any yet..
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2009, 14:53   #7
I-E-D
Multimodder

I-E-D has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
7-8Ghz :O From what stock clock speed?
I-E-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2009, 15:26   #8
mjm25
Supermodder

mjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If i was in AMD's marketing department i would be waiting for my big fat bonus.

excellent work from them and from the tech guys which created this.

are they speed-binned/freak of nature chips? or were they designed to be super fast on limited runs, like a single wafer at a time?

oh and does TWKR stand for something? or is it a cut down "TWeaKeR"?
Old 19th Jun 2009, 00:48   #9
g3n3tiX
resident frenchy

g3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
it's motorola's way of naming procducts, la RAZR/TLKR/...
Here i'ts TWKR. Twonker ? (instead of saying something else..) ^_^

Interesting marketing idea.

Last edited by g3n3tiX; 19th Jun 2009 at 01:10.
g3n3tiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2009, 01:22   #10
dec
[blank space]

dec has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wow does overdrive support it? in a few years people could be using LN2 cooling as often as air is used right now right?

if so id buy one of these
Old 19th Jun 2009, 06:57   #11
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
oh freakin awesome, I cant wait to see some action and results from this.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2009, 08:56   #12
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Adnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-E-D
7-8Ghz :O From what stock clock speed?
From what I understand, there is no "stock" speed. Stock is just the stable speed you can get.

Apparently these aren't a special run of CPUs, but are the dies from the "sweet spot" of the silicon wafer, which I believe is near the centre. That is why some CPUs overclock better than others, they are probably at or near the centre. These ones are just the ones that tick all the overclockers wet-dream boxes.

As a related aside, I read somewhere that you can tell where on a wafer an AMD CPU came from by the letters after the manufacture date. Can anyone confirm this?