bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 24th Jun 2009, 12:13   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Analyst: Only HDD holding Xbox 360 back now

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...360-back-now/1

The Xbox 360 is only being held back by the lack of hard drive space now, say analysts - and a solution is rumoured to be on the way.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2009, 12:23   #2
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Apart from the ageing hardware and reliability 'fate'?
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2009, 12:23   #3
amacieli
Multimodder

amacieli has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
hey, so long as i can keep a backup (or, right to re-download for free), 100% digital is just fine.
amacieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2009, 12:25   #4
TomH
Bwahahahahaha

TomH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Aren't they 2.5" drives on the 360? I didn't think 1TB models existed...
Old 24th Jun 2009, 12:35   #5
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
I'd be happier if MS let me upgrade the hard drive on my own without having to fork out some absurd amound of money.

Judging by the current pricing (120Gb for 75), which is about twice the cost of the hard drive alone, a terabyte (notwithstanding the availability of 2.5" drives in terabyte sizes) would cost around 250...

There aren't many things that Sony did right with the PS3, but allowing the HD to be user upgradable was one of them.
Old 24th Jun 2009, 12:36   #6
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Hopefully they'd tie the game ownership to an XBox Live account (ala Steam), so you didn't need to worry about loosing the only copy of the game in case of hardware failure.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2009, 12:42   #7
lewchenko
Supermodder

lewchenko has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I hate this console generation where one of the key distinguishing factors for console revision is the HD size.

Its like the dark ages... 20GB vs 40GB vs 60GB blah blah blah

when we all know that there is 'little to no' cost difference these days between HD's at the 160 to 250 GB range. Its also a false economy too, Unless you are a massive downloader. Both my 360 'elite' 120GB and my PS3 40GB drive are massively under utilized at the moment.

Maybe it will make more of a difference for the next generation where digital downloads will be 'the norm', rather than the exception like they are now.
lewchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2009, 12:42   #8
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well it would probably work exactly the same as it does now, a game is tied to your account and console. Anyone can play the game so long as it's on the console it was bought on, but only the person who bought the game can redownload it and play it on another console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2009, 12:47   #9
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Sorry to play the grammar nazi, but it's "terabyte" and not "terrabyte"...

The typo is twice on this page and once on the front page.

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2009, 12:53   #10
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
ooo, shiney, just so long the price is fair.

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2009, 13:24   #11
countstex
Minimodder

countstex has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
They deffinatly need more space, and a fairer price point to boot. As for availability of 1TB 2.5" drives, the advantage MS have in it being a 'clip on' module is they could easiy make a 2 or more drive unit provided the external interface to the 360 is maintained. Maybe they should even replace the low capacity drives with SSD options... fantasy land now I know
Old 24th Jun 2009, 14:34   #12
tank_rider
Ultramodder

tank_rider has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So long as the interface is the same they could make a bigger hd casing and stick in a 2.5" desktop drive. That should help with game load times etc too compared to slower 2.5" drives.
Main - e5200 @ 3.5GHz (akasa 965) || GA-EP31-DS3L || 2X2GB Crucial Ballistix || xfx GTX 260 || 500GB Seagate 7200.10 sata + 250GB Samsung sata + 160GB Samsung ide || NEC DVDRW || Enermax Liberty 400W || Antec P180 || 22" Fujitsu Siemems TFT
Media - X2 4400 @ 2.4GHz || Epox 9NDA3+ || 2GB RAM || 6800gs || 80GB Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 || LG DVD RAM || Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454
tank_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2009, 14:34   #13
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the clip on module - given that 500GB 2.5" drives are around, it's possible they just shoehorn two drives and a small RAID0 controller into a slightly larger HDD module.

Although the idea of downloading the some of the 4 DVD RPGs kinda scares me. That's a lot of data. Either MS' servers get hammered, or it's going to be a P2P system... which ISPs are gonna hate.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: until everywhere gets high-bandwidth uncapped internet connections... there is a market for stores selling physical copies. And no, I don't mean the UK Government's idea of 'high speed broadband' - 2Mb? Pfft. [b]True]/b] 20Mb would be OK... true 50Mb or higher would be better.

While MS shouldn't sit around doing nothing, it's a bit presumptuous to spout off about publishers boycotting retailers boycotting Microsoft products. I think that Michael Pachter is just wanting to kick up a fuss to see what sort of storm he can create. Instead he comes across as an arrogant bully with no one to pick on.
Old 24th Jun 2009, 16:39   #14
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
wont be p2p, And in britiain this is nigh on irelivent. 4.6gb takes about 10hrs to download minimum for most people. double dvd your talking a day to download. In 1 day you can walk to the shop and pick the dam thing up tbh.

What will ms charge for a 1tb drive would also be a major worry. + 200 would be my guess. when you can get a 1tb drive for as little as 60. 75 for 120gb is shocking pricing. at that conversion rate cost of 1tb drive would be an amazing 600. Lets hope Microsoft at least try to get the price so something resonable ( below 150 is resonable sorta lol)
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2009, 17:49   #15
Aracos
Elite

Aracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run Crysis
My vote is on 300-400 mark and I really hope they use P2P for games on demand, it might be the step we need to getting the ISP's off their arses and actually thinking it's not just about themselves, when we pay for unlimited broadband we should get it! Period!
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3200MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1600MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | openSUSE
Aracos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2009, 18:36   #16
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
To bad it will cost double the price of standard terabyte drive.
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2009, 20:40   #17
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
See this is why I liked the PS3. you could take any 2.5" SATA HDD and pop it in and format it, thats the big draw back to XBox, so how much is their proprietary 1tb HDD going to be double the cost of a 1tb hdd probably ~_~

What I would REALLY like to see is FREE online service. PS3 has a lot of excellent features that are more expandable but Xbox will soon have the Natal thing, but I dont know if that one thing the Natal is enough to sway to the 360 side, Im still leaning towards the PS3 but ehh I just dont know.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2009, 22:10   #18
Faulk_Wulf
Internet Addict

Faulk_Wulf has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hm. Go off to the store, buy the game, and have a physical copy that is undeniably mine in about an hour. Or, go online, login, start a download, choke my internet's bandwidth so that I can do crap-all of anything else at the same time, wait a day / day-and-a-half, and know that if Windows LIVE or Xbox360 get obsoleted that I will have no guarantee of future back-up copies of my game.

This decision is just so hard for me, I don't know if I'll ever decide.

[To be fair, I do like being able to download free demos and the Xbox arcade games, but that's just because if it wasn't for digital distribution-- you wouldn't see half of that content on there.]
Faulk_Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 00:47   #19
tron
Supermodder

tron has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltron has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter
I've said it before and I'll say it again: until everywhere gets high-bandwidth uncapped internet connections... there is a market for stores selling physical copies. And no, I don't mean the UK Government's idea of 'high speed broadband' - 2Mb? Pfft. [b]True]/b] 20Mb would be OK... true 50Mb or higher would be better.
The good thing about Microsoft'sl 'ambitious' digital download push is that someone needs to 'start the ball rolling'.

Microsoft are pushing for that change.

If Microsoft said to themselves, "let's not do this because most people have limited connections and our servers won't handle high downloads", ISPs will continue to drag their feet over high bandwidth services. The government will also feel there's no need to encourage investment in updating the ancient copper wire links that most homes have.

When people start getting used to Microsoft's vision, people will expect more from their ISPs and demand that more is done to cater for their needs. The more people with 'high needs', the more technology will be put in place to serve the needs. Eventually, the cost per internet bandwidth will fall as more people take up high bandwidth services.

Then retailers will see that if they don't adapt, they will be in trouble.
tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 06:37   #20
sui_winbolo
Giraffe_City

sui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysis
What they need to do is release an empty HDD caddy and allow users to install their own HDD. Aka, ditch the proprietary firmware.
WD Velociraptor 300GB HDD | Corsair Pro 650w PSU | Silverstone MATX Case ::

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
sui_winbolo is offline   Reply With Quote