bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 25th Jun 2009, 03:48   #1
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
GwassGween -FINISHED-Nov13 2013-pics start on page 67

-I've been going crazy waiting for a chance to get started on this project. No... I was already crazy...

-This is something I've been playing with since the beginning of the year. I've had the raw materials for months now. Two 2' x 4' sheets of 1/4" 'Glass Green' plexiglas, Two 2'x4'x1/8"sheets, and two 2x4' sheets of opaque black.

-The model is just a basic layout. You can see things are unfinished and unmatched. It's like a pile of idea swatches right now. This model will be getting heavily re-worked as I build. The GGreen sheet was cut short, so measurements are already changing.

-This is roughly 1' x 2'. For a lot of the repetitive cuts, I picked up a little toy.

-We hit triple digits today, and here's my stupid *ss out in the middle of it. well, not quite. I made sure to stay in the shade. The first thing I needed to do was make a lot of big sheets of plastic into small ones. My weapon of choice is a wet-cut masonry saw. It makes a very clean cut and never chips, and the yard needed the water.

-I haven't done this in a while. I was forcing the saw into the guide a little hard on the first few cuts. This process takes a lot of time. I measure and clamp the guide in place indoors, cut it outside, bring the clamps and stuff back inside, wipe it off with a towel, watch a squirrel try to have it's way with the sprinkler, then set up for the next cut.

-The problem with using this saw is that it can't cut small parts. Here I have nearly run out of material to clamp the guide to. I'm cutting the strips that will be part of the outside framework here. The idea is to maximize the area inside by mounting the frame externally.

-This is what I have for today. Ignore the purple sheet. that's for something else. You can see the nice green color here. This material gets darker the thicker it gets, so I plan to pile it on heavy.

-It's the end of the very first day of the build, and I already have a problem. This is all I have left from 4'x4' of the 1/4" sheet. I need enough for the I/O plate, the top of the CD drive, the bolt plates for the access panels, and the bottom and top areas of the frame. I had also planned another layer to thicken the frame parts. This was going to be a smaller case than my previous rigs, but it's sucking up raw materials fast. I expect it to be the heaviest thing I've put a computer in, short of my van.
That's all I have for today. Feel free to comment on how I have the word 'ween' in the title.
----------------------------------------------

I'd like to thank my sponsors here for all their support.

Thank you! You rule!

Last edited by Cheapskate; 14th Nov 2013 at 00:09.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 03:58   #2
Gunter
Multimodder

Gunter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great project and very nice design, I like the CD Drive style.
Waiting for ups now.
Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 05:11   #3
Javerh
Topiary Golem

Javerh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Lol! Ween!

I wonder if they make those saws in dremel size...
Anyway, nice plan and nice start. I'll be watching you.
Modders make project logs. Project logs make mods. Mods make modders.
Javerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 05:45   #4
mvagusta
Did a skid that went for two weeks.

mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
You're a modding machine So the cardboard mod is on hold for now? I was looking forward to seeing that one continue
mvagusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 06:20   #5
ModMinded
Are you throwing that away?

ModMinded has yet to learn the way of the DremelModMinded has yet to learn the way of the DremelModMinded has yet to learn the way of the DremelModMinded has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You know I'm subbed! This looks very promising, especially with your new toy!
Excellent design. I like that cd drive location as well... will it pop up and down like I think it does, or just be up there like that? That front res holder will be slick, as well as the HD bay cooler.
The gwass is definitely greener on the other side... must be the wetsawing on the lawn.

Last edited by ModMinded; 25th Jun 2009 at 06:22. Reason: I'm punny....
ModMinded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 07:02   #6
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Editor22 can run CrysisEditor22 can run CrysisEditor22 can run CrysisEditor22 can run CrysisEditor22 can run CrysisEditor22 can run CrysisEditor22 can run CrysisEditor22 can run CrysisEditor22 can run CrysisEditor22 can run CrysisEditor22 can run Crysis
Damn this is just going to be plain awesome!
Editor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 07:30   #7
Attila
still thinking....

Attila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for president
The plans look good so the real thing should be terrific.
Old 25th Jun 2009, 07:55   #8
Bad_cancer
Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Bad_cancer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
the plexi master is at work again! Subbed!

Q9550 | Evga 790i ultra sli | 4gb Ram | 2x Gtx460 (1gb) | 1Tb storage | Icute titanium 750w |
Cold lava~MOTM Nominee May 2010.
Bad_cancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 08:56   #9
tuberc
What's a Dremel?

tuberc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm addicted to using plexi so I cant wait to see this being made
tuberc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 09:07   #10
marlowdrummer
Multimodder

marlowdrummer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.marlowdrummer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.marlowdrummer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.marlowdrummer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.marlowdrummer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.marlowdrummer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.marlowdrummer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.marlowdrummer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.marlowdrummer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.marlowdrummer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.marlowdrummer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
oh oh, he's at it again....

Looking good. Subbed.
marlowdrummer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 12:21   #11
WolfandAngel
Got fins?

WolfandAngel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
cant waited

We're people who have the patience and know the pain of sleeving. And love it.

Please excuse my English I haven't fully mastered it yet.
WolfandAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 12:23   #12
Rkiver
Cybernetic Spine

Rkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This looks wonderful, can't wait to see more.
Old 25th Jun 2009, 15:40   #13
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ah Cheaps, you made my day .
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 15:46   #14
Mankz
________

Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
YAYAYAYAYAYAY CHEEPS!

This is going to be awesome and all, BUT WHERE IS OUR GHETTO MOD??

Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 15:50   #15
Fisher.
partially impartial

Fisher. can run CrysisFisher. can run CrysisFisher. can run CrysisFisher. can run CrysisFisher. can run CrysisFisher. can run CrysisFisher. can run CrysisFisher. can run CrysisFisher. can run CrysisFisher. can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankz View Post
YAYAYAYAYAYAY CHEEPS!

This is going to be awesome and all, BUT WHERE IS OUR GHETTO MOD??

This, but twice as hard

I mean...
Old 25th Jun 2009, 17:11   #16
Jelle46
Belgian freedom

Jelle46 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJelle46 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
that's looking great! (again :d)
Jelle46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 17:35   #17
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Thanks
The ghetto mod is still on.
I haven't worked out how the cd drive will work, but I have two of those magnetic click/release catches that they put in stereo cabinets. The power switch will be beside the drive.
I bought a larger tube for the reservoir, and have sinister plans for the insides. (I only steal the best ideas...) The cnc machine is partly for this. I need to get the 4th axis built, and buy more plexi.
The secret to green grass when it hasn't rained in a month is: don't mow it! The parts that never grow because they don't get enough light are going crazy, and the areas in the sun are crispy.
Old 25th Jun 2009, 19:47   #18
MIGUI
Multimodder

MIGUI has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I subscribe to this project.
Is very interesting.

Excuse me for my bad english.
MIGUI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jun 2009, 01:18   #19
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Day 2

Thanks, Migui.
104 degrees... D*mn!
To make matters worse I was working on the front drive in the sun this time. There are no pics of me torturing myself while using the big tile saw.

-The 1' square is now a pile of chopsticks. Because the big saw has been knocked out of true, I had to cut these larger than I needed them. They are not long enough to reach from the front to the back of the case, so next I will be cutting some spacer brackets.

-Obligatory lunch picture! I don't have a cat, I haven't hurt myself, and having a foot in the shot is just sloppy.

-I've been stocking up on the tubing. I got more 2"OD red for Bloo. The larger stuff is for this rig's res. I gotta figure out what size it is again so I can update the model.

-I cut 4 more long strips. The frame will be 3/4" x 3/4". Overkill!!! The thicker I go, the more I can round the edges.

-And the leftovers are down to...well, not enough! I need a 2" x 2" x 12" cube for the reservoir guts. and a million other bits.
Old 26th Jun 2009, 01:26   #20
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Great start to the jog, sympathies about the weather, and I'm going to your house for lunch! /stomach growls for fulfillment

I watch.

john

Tags
blame it on cheaps, cheap's fault, cheapskate, crackskate, master of acrylic, plexiglas

View Mode