bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 3rd Jul 2009, 12:59   #1
mrdbristol
Voided my warranty years ago

mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Purple Rain / CustomPC 'Readers Drives' - Issue 81 / Apr '10

Sponsored by ;

( www.tacens.com )
Tacens Ventus Ice 120mm fans

( www.techflex.com/prod_PTN.asp )
FlexoPet 'Uptown Purple' Braiding

( http://www.phenoptix.com/shop/ )
LED lighting supplies

http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/index.php
(Chilled PC Aluminium Case Feet - 4 Pack - Black )

Hi all.

New build time, so welcome

Not sure how long this build will take, but it'll keep me busy anyway.

Nothing hi-tec in the hardware department, so attention to detail will be my main priority.

The Case :

Doesn't need an intro. , a MM U2 UFO.

Never worked with one before, so looking forward to it. Bit scratched at the moment, but not a problem.

The Colour :

Thanks to Craig / Madcat for the piccies.

Hoping to match the purple metallic finish in the above pictures by stove enamelling.

The Hardware :

Q6600
Asus Maximus Formula SE
4g OCZ Reaper
Nvidia GTX 285
Asus Xonar D2X
74g Raptor
500g Samsung F1

Watercooling :

Single loop - CPU, NB, SB, Mosfets + GTX 285

CPU Block - To be decided
Swiftech Komodo Water Block for gtx 285
D5 vario + EK top
Clear Dual bay reservoir
XSPC RX240 Radiator
XSPC R120-T Crossflow
Compression Fittings
White Tubing
Purple coolant

Smoked/Tinted Acrylic Windows.

Tacens Ventus Ice 120mm fans.

Stealthed DVD drive.

Stealthed Rheobus fan controller.

Possibly some custom Acrylic work inside, similar to my Dark Water build from last year, plus whatever else springs to mind along the way.

Thats the plan anyway.

Thanks for looking.

Mark
( Aug 08 ) : Dark Water

Last edited by mrdbristol; 19th May 2010 at 15:17.
mrdbristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2009, 18:48   #2
ry@n
Ultramodder

ry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysis
That colour is tasty :P Really liked your Dark Water project so this should be good.

- Dual Loop i7 Stacker Left Handed? CLICK HERE -
ry@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2009, 22:42   #3
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
wow now thats a sexy colour! just took a look at dark water and if this is up to the same standard its going to be awesome...
Editor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2009, 23:24   #4
mrdbristol

mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Thanks for the comments

A few weeks have passed since i started, so time for an update.

The initial idea was to stove enamel the case in a metallic purple.

This proved an expensive idea !

The case would of needed to be stripped back to bare metal for the enamel to take. Bead/shot blasting would have twisted the panels, and chemical stripping was too expensive.

After a chat with the local powder coaters we decided on this colour. The best i can describe it as is 'Cadburys' purple.

Inside my front room :

As it wasn't raining for a change, i wheeled it outside for some shots ( not sure what the neighbours thought ! ) :

Close up of the colour :

So far, so good

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited by mrdbristol; 6th Aug 2009 at 00:31.
Old 5th Aug 2009, 23:58   #5
mrdbristol

I knew the fans i wanted for this build - Black casing, white blades with white Leds.

Enter Tacens who very generously sent me 9 of their Ventus Ice fans for my build.

MM cases need alot of fans, so a huge thanks to Tacens for their support

Some pics of the beauties :

They ooze quality.

Whisper quiet whilst shifting alot of air ( I've been using 2 today plugged into my mobo as air conditioning as we've had some sun ! ) .

Great finishing right down to the black sleeving ( no thin fishnet stuff here ) and black fan plug :

Saves me sleeving 9 fans

Things are beginning to slot into place

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited by mrdbristol; 14th Feb 2010 at 16:15.
Old 6th Aug 2009, 08:35   #6
DonT-FeaR
I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

DonT-FeaR has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
this is really cool but thats an odd colour :P
DonT-FeaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2009, 08:58   #7
null_x86
Thread Closer

null_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysis
nice, cant wait to see whats going to be done with the MM UFO... doesnt it fit standard ATX?
Korraz - That iPad vs Stone one is an insulting lie! I never expected to see something so mediocre as THIS an this holy thread! You disgust me! A stone HAS a Touchscreen!
null_x86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2009, 09:00   #8
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I like those fans
Old 6th Aug 2009, 09:26   #9
ry@n
Ultramodder

ry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysis
Never seen those fans before, is there a switch to turn off the LEDs?

At some point I want to do a project based on a MM case, great project!

- Dual Loop i7 Stacker Left Handed? CLICK HERE -
ry@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2009, 09:52   #10
null_x86
Thread Closer

null_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysis
I would so get a MM UFO case for my server, but I think my server wont fit cause of all the stuff in it lol
Korraz - That iPad vs Stone one is an insulting lie! I never expected to see something so mediocre as THIS an this holy thread! You disgust me! A stone HAS a Touchscreen!
Old 6th Aug 2009, 10:56   #11
mrdbristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonT-FeaR View Post
this is really cool but thats an odd colour :P
Don't see many purple cases around i agree, but i wanted something different

Those pics were taken in bright sunlight, so the colour isn't quite right. In normal daylight its darker. I'll get some 'decent' shots of it near the end of the build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by null_x86 View Post
nice, cant wait to see whats going to be done with the MM UFO... doesnt it fit standard ATX?
Yep, standard ATX mobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry@n View Post
Never seen those fans before, is there a switch to turn off the LEDs?

At some point I want to do a project based on a MM case, great project!
No switch, the LEDS are hard wired to the fan.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited by mrdbristol; 6th Aug 2009 at 11:41.
Old 18th Aug 2009, 00:49   #12
mrdbristol

Update time again

Braiding, a neccessary part of any build.

But what colour ?

Black was too obvious. Purple would of been too much for my liking. So i set off to search for a mixture of both.

Techflex came to my rescue

Saw this braiding on their website and decided that it was perfect.

They very generously sent me a reel from America for this build, so a massive thanks to Techflex for their support.

120 foot of top quality braiding goodness.

Now the time consuming part

Braiding an entire PSU, Sata cables, molexes, fan extension cables...........the list goes on and on.

Old school braiding workshop ;

Stanley knife
Very small precision screwdriver ( for pin removal )
Lighter ( for heatshrink )
Insulting tape ( to wrap around the pins to stop snagging when threading through the braiding )

Purple Heatshrink

Many hours later, and very sore thumbs :

1 double Pci-E cable and a molex chain done......... Well, its a start !

Plenty more to keep me busy.

Last edited by mrdbristol; 20th Oct 2009 at 12:10.
Old 18th Aug 2009, 00:50   #13
mrdbristol

A few pics of the build, as it stands.

New PSU ( Birthday present to myself ! ), Silverstone Decathlon DA850.

The next 2 show the fixings i am using ( simple screw covers ) as i was not keen on the look of thumbscrews, something different anyway.

Replaced the original silver switches with black vandal switches with white LED rings. (Will be fitting white 5mm LEDs in the 2 small holes)

Had a Fansis fan controller powdercoted at the same time, just need to change the 3mm LEDs from Blue to White to keep the theme going.

And finally the stealthed DVD drive ( test fitted - Will need to either spray the bare grey casing or hide it as you can see it inside ).

Thanks for looking, and any comments or critique are always welcomed.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 18th Aug 2009, 02:03   #14
null_x86
Thread Closer

nice job on the PSU sleeving, and purple heatskrink to boot, this is going to be good. Maybe purple coolant?
Old 18th Aug 2009, 14:50   #15
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice colour, you don't see many purple cases around lol. I really like those fans, you got a link to the product page?
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Aug 2009, 15:27   #16
mrdbristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by null_x86 View Post
nice job on the PSU sleeving, and purple heatskrink to boot, this is going to be good. Maybe purple coolant?
Thanks.

It takes time, but worth it in the end.

Yep, looking at purple coolant, mainly to show in the front dual bay res.

But i think i'll be using white tubing to match the fans and give it some contrast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
Nice colour, you don't see many purple cases around lol. I really like those fans, you got a link to the product page?
I agree, i went for purple to do something a bit different, and i think the colour has worked out well.

Its a bit tricky to get the colour photographed to the exact colour ( due to my camera skills ! ), but its very close to the bit-tech logo colour purple.

The fans are here : http://www.tacens.com/ > Products > Cooling

Cheers
Old 18th Aug 2009, 15:37   #17
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thanks for the link .
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2009, 09:59   #18
The Twisted One
Minimodder

The Twisted One has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice choice of purple there mate , and the sleeving has to be some of the best Ive seen .Pity i cant get quality stuff like that in N.Z. (BTW fan of Prince? )
The Twisted One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2009, 16:46   #19
mansueto
Too broke to mod

mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.
The color is awesome! I can't wait to see this progress!
Black Momba: i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz | Corsair H80 | MSI P67A-G43 | 8GB DDR3 1600 Ripjaws | 128GB Corsair M4, 1TB Barricuda | 2GB 6950 | Asus PA248 IPS + Acer P243w | Asus Xonar D1 + Fio E07K Andes | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Seasonic X760 | Fractal R3 | Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid | Cooler Master Inferno
Lenovo U410: i7 3517u | 8GB ram | 24GB + 750GB HDD | 14 inch ultrabook
mansueto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2009, 21:54   #20
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Good job on the sleeving

I gotta get my DA700 as soon as this month's check clears so I can get sleeved and then post up pics of my own (stagnating) mod
Aren't they great PSUs?

Tags
dark water, mod of the year 2010, mountain mods, purple rain, u2 ufo

View Mode