1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Dual Loop CM Stacker est. 2009 - update: 13th April '13

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ry@n, 4 Jul 2009.

1. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Dual Loop i7 Stacker

Welcome to my third project log!

After two complete overhauls of cheap/old cases this project is going to be more of a build log with a few basic mods to hopefully produce a rig that im finally happy with and should last me through Uni.

Previous two projects:

[​IMG]
    RyansPC
    I never did get some final pictures of this mod complete :(

[​IMG]
    [LAN Cubular
    This project was abandoned in favour of a new case (the Stacker)

Although don't expect this project to be as extensive as those, I don't wanna to modify this case too much basically because I really like the look of it and wouldn't want to ruin that by slapping lumps of body filler (bondo you for yanks) on it!!

The aim of this project is to cram dual loops in using a 240mm a 360mm radiator to cool the CPU, GPU, chipset, mosfets and RAM. Before anyone says anything, yes I know that watercooled RAM is a waste of money as RAM doesn't really produce that much heat etc but the RAM block was only £38 and its going to look great in the project.

I also plan to cut plenty of slots and holes to aid cable management as I have always admired those people that have OCD when it comes to builds. Im also considering painting the chassis either matt or satin black but I haven't made up my mind yet, what do you guys think? Both cooling loops will use Feser One UV reactive fluid so a few UV CCFLs are a must but these will be on switch as I don't want them glowing all the time.

[​IMG]
    The initial single loop cooling my old Q6700.

[​IMG]
    Old pump location.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how the rig is sitting right now as I type this, the old Danger Den block was skt775 specific so when I sold me 775 setup to my dad and upgraded to i7 I was left using the stock intel cooling which as we all know is a POS, especially with the current weather we have been having.

I've lived with that terrible mess of cables for long enough! It's time to mod!

Just some pictures of the watercooling gear thats going into this build:

[​IMG]
    A couple of DDC 18w bought from this very forum, I will be buying a matching XSPC clear top for the other pump.

[​IMG]
    Black ICE Stealth 360mm, got the XFlow version for loop neatness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MIPS "Dominator 6" RAM block, Really well made and specifically for Dominator RAM. All you have to do is remove the stock heatsink fins and mount this on top, meaning the warrenty stays intact!

[​IMG]
    Not my picture but it gives you an idea how it works. Simple.

[​IMG]
    Watercool Heatkiller 3.0

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Even with a rotary fitting I still can't get two fittings installed as the holes are stupidly close together :( Im going to get a couple of TFC or Bitspower 45 fitting to overcome this.

[​IMG]
    Its soo close, with a bit of filing I might be able to get it to fit temporary.

[​IMG]
    I went for slightly cheaper tubing this time rather than Tygon to save some money.

[​IMG]
    Sadly the new stuff has slightly thinner walls than the Tygon which doesn't look as good but its ok for the money.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The bend radius on this stuff is almost as good as the Tygon, it also doesn't have the sticky texture so it shouldn't pick up dust as easily.

[​IMG]
    I was lazy and bought some pre-wired UV LEDs but now I regret it..

[​IMG]
    For some stupid reason I ordered 3mm LEDs rather than 5mm so they aren't going to fit in the XSPC pump top without some clear sealant. No biggy.

[​IMG]
    Low speed Yate loons Cheesecake.

[​IMG]
    This is how my rig stands as it is, a complete mess!

[​IMG]
    This thing is begging for watercooling, my i7 is sweating badly under this recent weather.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My slot loading DVD drive mounted on a pair of upside down HDDs brackets, works really well and keeps it quiet as its mounted on 3M tape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Under carrage! This existing 240mm cutout will be extended to take the 360mm rad.

[​IMG]
    Taking out the old rad.. didn't know there was stil some juice inside.. my poor Razer mats :(

[​IMG]
    Old and new, the little 240mm is now as-good-as-new thanks to my dads air compressor.

[​IMG]
    Perfect place for the second rad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    its only placed in there for now but it gives you an idea of what its going to look like.

[​IMG]
    The 360 fits! (only placed there for now)

[​IMG]

Thats all for now, thanks for looking and next time I update this log I should hopefully be doing some actual modding!

Sorry for the mix of ok and bad pics, the recent pics were taking with more care using natural light (attic skylight) on a white table cloth which turned out pretty good.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2013
  2. Matticus

Matticus ...

Lovely planning stages. This is going to look very good when its done.

I would personally go for matt black inside and out, it would look very slick.

As for the coolant, don't do feser, head over to watercoolinguk forums to see why,seems some people get very bad batches. I would go with primochill coolant (which is what I have), or distilled/deionised water + PT nuke and a primochill dye bomb.

3. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Thanks :) I found some matt black primer at my local Focus store so im going to blast the chassis with that and if I want a lil bit of shine I will use satin top coat but as you said, I think matt will you great even though that will mean all three of my projects will have the same matt black chassis :hehe:

I was the pics of the feser damage.. that looks nasty! Thanks for the heads up on that.

4. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Brown fluid Ryan :naughty:

5. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

stripped the case, triple rad fitted!

[​IMG]
    The Stacker was very easy is disassemble and the roof part was removed with 4 screws rather than rivets on older models.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I was going to mount the double rad in the roof cavity of the case but I would have only been able to use one fan rather than two so I have decided to mount this radiator in the front drive bays.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Marking where to cut to mount the triple.

[​IMG]
    The triple rad cutout and in place (not screwed in, in this picture)

[​IMG]
    Brackets will be made to mount the second rad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    RAM

[​IMG]
    Nekkid RAM

[​IMG]
    Sexy RAM, I will remove the RAM from the slots before fitting the tubing to avoid excess strain on the modules.

Sorry about some of the crap picture quality, my camera doesn't like low lighting but I will take better pictures later :thumb:

Last edited: 8 Jul 2009
    Alx likes this.
  6. Alx

Alx 3²Gaming

very nice :D

I need to tidy my cables next :p :thumb:

7. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Teeny Tiny Update

Just got my order of more TFC 1/2" compression fittings, 2 meters of 1/2" Tygon and some rather nifty rotary 45 degree TFC fittings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Im glad these worked, I really wanted to avoid using barbs and clamps on this build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My system is currently sat without a case on my anti-static workmat :D

Got a party tonight a busy day tomorrow but I should have some actual updates soon with some modding done :thumb:

8. stuartwood89

I think you should just leave it like that, that's the hardcore look right there.

9. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Cable mangement holes

Today, with the help of my dad we cut holes in the motherboard tray to help hide most of the cables.

The weapon of choice to do this was a wood working router like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The router cut through the aluminum with ease and left a very neat cutting edge thats smooth to touch.

Before I spray the chassis I will remove the burs from the cuts with some fine sand paper, after painting I will decide if rubber U channel is required.

10. stuartwood89

Damn my iPod won't display most of the pictures for some reason, I just get little blue squares with a question mark in them. Annoyed.

11. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Rad brackets, ready for paint!

[​IMG]
    Fitted the second res, it covers the PCI bracket screws but this isn't a problem as its easily removed.

[​IMG]
    A pair of brackets to hold the front mounted 240mm radiator, made from the alu cut out from the floor of the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Its a good job that all the plastic clips and trimmings were screwed in place which made removal an easy job.

[​IMG]
    Preparing the metal for primer tomorrow, the areas which contact with the side panels will be left unpainted. Afterall, no paint is better than scratched-to-hell paint!

Tomorrow im going to finish preparing the metal work and pop down to Halfraulds for some primer and paint :thumb:

Last edited: 11 Jul 2009
  12. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Primer and Paint

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just waiting for it to dry now, then I can start assembly!

13. stuartwood89

Looking really good Ryan. Are you going to clear coat to help stop scratches?

Last edited: 12 Jul 2009
  14. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Cheers :thumb:

Well the only areas that got scratched haven't been painted so theres no need, plus I would need to find a compatible lacquer that would retain the saint finish.

[​IMG]
    Didn't have any nail polish remover but this stuff did a great job.

[​IMG]
    Setting then tension on the Heatkiller block

[​IMG]
    Im in love :)

[​IMG]
    hmm I doubt the Tygon will work here, I will have to experiment!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I think the black and silver combo works really well with this mod.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2009
  15. stuartwood89

I need tissues.

16. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Waiting for tubing!

[​IMG]
    Second Res mounted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The side panel still fits!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All thats left is some nifty cable mangement, lighting, switches for lighting, tubing and then its ready to fill!

17. stuartwood89

Ryan, when you finish this project, or you want some good shots taken for your log, let me know and I'll come shoot some photos for you. I can't believe how good this looks. I think I like it more because it's a minimalist mod. Also if you want some 3mm green LEDs, then I have some you can have.

18. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Yea that would be good, thanks. We could do it at the next LAN meet if you want. I will set up a decent white backdrop or something.

:clap:

19. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Awesome build ryan :thumb: looks so clean and neat... hope you manage to follow it through when it comes to cable routing :worried:

PS was just about to buy the same cpu block and fittings so a big thanks for saving me some cash knowing they dont fit <3

20. stuartwood89

If you have a white projector screen, then that's probably the best you can get.