bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Jul 2009, 11:13   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Google announces Chrome OS

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...es-chrome-os/1

Google has just announced that it will be developing an operating system of it's own, scheduled for use on netbooks by 2010.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2009, 11:15   #2
Rkiver
Cybernetic Spine

Rkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
<sarcasm> Oh wow I swear none of us knew this was coming </sarcasm>.

Just surprised it's taken this long to announce it, and yay for Gmail being finally out of beta.
Old 8th Jul 2009, 11:23   #3
OnyxLilninja
Multimodder

OnyxLilninja has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The key for me, the key thats stopped me leaving Windows so far, 'gaming'.
Old 8th Jul 2009, 11:25   #4
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

No gaming capability, no point installing an OS.
Old 8th Jul 2009, 11:30   #5
oasked
Stuck in the Mud

oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.
Another platform for me to give all my personal details to Google? Brilliant!

Old 8th Jul 2009, 11:30   #6
Er-El
Supermodder

Er-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well it is targeted for people who spend most of their time on the browser as was mentioned in the article.
Er-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2009, 11:30   #7
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by impar
Greetings!

No gaming capability, no point installing an OS.
Chrome OS will be a light weight OS for low powered devices, so you won't be gaming on them anyway, hopefully we may see a beta or even an RC before long.

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2009, 11:34   #8
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
claiming that the new Google OS will be able to compete directly with Windows
How?

It is just another distro in the unix / linux world...

I heavily doubt it will get anything beyond 0.001% marketshare outside of mobilephones, pdas and netbooks.

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2009, 11:36   #9
LeMaltor
>^_^<

LeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm disappointed with no gaming
Old 8th Jul 2009, 11:46   #10
Cptn-Inafinus
Supermodder

Cptn-Inafinus has yet to learn the way of the DremelCptn-Inafinus has yet to learn the way of the DremelCptn-Inafinus has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
I heavily doubt it will get anything beyond 0.001% marketshare outside of mobilephones, pdas and netbooks.
I wouldn't be so sure- I imagine google will use some pretty heavy marketing on their site to push it. Plus alot of people will be more happy using a distro by Google rather than anyone else because of the confidence in the technical capabilities of the company that people have.
Old 8th Jul 2009, 11:56   #11
Trefarm
No matter what... It's all good

Trefarm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
...the wholesum goodness of Linux with the mass market appeal of the Google Brand. With the added benefit of forcing MS to make some form of counter to the move of their Nemesis.
Surely it can only help to have another player in the game?
Old 8th Jul 2009, 12:01   #12
Er-El
Supermodder

Er-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMaltor View Post
I'm disappointed with no gaming
It is going to be another Linux distro so I'm sure it'll have the latest OpenGL if that's what you meant.
Er-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2009, 12:12   #13
I-E-D
Multimodder

I-E-D has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkiver
<sarcasm> Oh wow I swear none of us knew this was coming </sarcasm>.
Hehe, nice one

My laptop is shocking. I might give it a try. Dual Booting.
I-E-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2009, 12:13   #14
lp1988
Ultramodder

lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trefarm View Post
Surely it can only help to have another player in the game?
just my thought, this is proberly the best news in the OS market for a loong time, for once giving MS a direct competitor wiht both the brand, means and the know how to do so (not to say the cojones)

This may end up very interesting
lp1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2009, 12:19   #15
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So, it's linux... with another UI.

Ooh... it's not like there aren't low-footprint simple distros out there already. DamnSmallLinux or Puppy Linux anyone?

I am underwhelmed.
Old 8th Jul 2009, 12:47   #16
amacieli
Multimodder

amacieli has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is just another way for Google to keep you on its websites for longer. I don't see it competing with MS any more than the Xandros OS on my eeePC does. And all my personal documents in the cloud? No thanks.
amacieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2009, 12:49   #17
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is the thing, all previous linux distros that I have ever tried to use have still bee "linux" looking. Google will create a new distro that users will be familiar with. I think google will do a good job on this, and i will give it a try. If it can run games on it nativly out of the box, whether it be a built in windows emulator or not then that would be great.
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2009, 12:57   #18
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by amacieli View Post
This is just another way for Google to keep you on its websites for longer. I don't see it competing with MS any more than the Xandros OS on my eeePC does. And all my personal documents in the cloud? No thanks.
And pr0n. All your data belongs to Google.
Old 8th Jul 2009, 13:05   #19
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"The Cloud" is a serious security risk for those working under NDA... not to mention the difficulties if your 'net connection is flaky (for whatever reason...)
Old 8th Jul 2009, 13:54   #20
Da_Rude_Baboon
What the?

Da_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter
So, it's linux... with another UI.
Isn't Apple OS essentially *nix with a fancy skin?
Da_Rude_Baboon is offline   Reply With Quote