bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 9th Jul 2009, 14:01   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nokia patents controller fabric

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...oller-fabric/1

In an attempt to steal a march on the next generation of smartphone interfaces, mobile giant Nokia has filed a patent for a smart fabric which can read motion.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2009, 14:13   #2
mjm25
Supermodder

mjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
how cool would you be wearing one of MJ's spangly gloves to control your N97?! ...Thats right! Not Very!
Old 9th Jul 2009, 14:20   #3
Silver51
I cast flare!

Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nintendo should totally sue.
Silver51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2009, 14:38   #4
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver51 View Post
There's a link to that in the article, but the comparison falls down: rather than detect changes in the skin, the PowerGlove used fibre-optic cables which ran the length of each finger. As a finger was flexed, the amount of light which made it to a photoresistor at the end of the glove reduced - and from that it was possible to figure out when a finger was bent and by how much.

Okay, they're both gloves - but the PowerGlove was by no means a sensor fabric.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2009, 14:39   #5
Almightyrastus
Engineering the awesome

Almightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming Saiyan
that patent drawing looks like some kind of Victorian 'medical' device.
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2009, 15:03   #6
Javerh
Topiary Golem

Javerh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This doesn't necessarily mean Nokia is planning to use this type of technology. Patents are corporate tools to prevent competitors from using such technology. Thus, Nokia could be working on a completely different idea and is just covering its bases with the patents.
Modders make project logs. Project logs make mods. Mods make modders.
Javerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2009, 15:13   #7
Silver51
I cast flare!

Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
There's a link to that in the article...
Well that's embarrassing. In my defence I'm reading bit and remoting three other servers, I can blame it on the laagg.
Old 9th Jul 2009, 15:15   #8
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
/mock nokia and their shitty software and now hardware too!
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2009, 15:19   #9
Silver51
I cast flare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3n View Post
Feel free to do so, everything but the 8110 and 7110. Nokia made something with legendry status there.
Old 9th Jul 2009, 17:19   #10
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver51
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3n View Post
Feel free to do so, everything but the 8110 and 7110. Nokia made something with legendry status there.
Ok, I'm feeling the 8110.... had one and loved it, but the 7110? Urrgh, that was fugly
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2009, 19:21   #11
Silver51
I cast flare!

Well, the 8110 was featured in The Matrix, but as I recall they only implemented the sprung loaded cover in the 7110. I wouldn't mind picking up both and modding the cover on the 8110, but the technology inside is getting on a bit.
Old 10th Jul 2009, 03:11   #12
ssj12
Hypermodder

ssj12 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver51
well considering the Power Glove was made by Mattel and not Nintendo there would be no reason for Nintendo to sue. Plus this uses a more advance tech like Gareth Halfacree said.
ssj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2009, 03:58   #13
Constructacon
Constructing since 1978

Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.
Time to watch The Wizard again.

MAME Over - Custom built arcade cabinet.
This season's mod - The New Black
Also modded - "Got Milk?"
Constructacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2009, 09:47   #14
SteveU
Multimodder

SteveU has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I had a Mattel power glove!!

Wish I hadn't sold it now, bet they'll be worth a bit in years to come.
SteveU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2009, 17:51   #15
smilinrat
What's a Dremel?

smilinrat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Maybe they should call these guys up: http://www.theperegrine.com/
smilinrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2009, 17:38   #16
N!ck
ModMag.Net

N!ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
fear my POWERGLOVE LOL :-)