Graphics GPU running at 83C at idle....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nevynev, 14 Jul 2009.

1. nevynev

nevynev What's a Dremel?

Well...

My 8800 GTS 512 is running at 83 C (in a reasonably warm room) but with the case side off at idle (just came back to it from watching tv for coupla hours). I know this is high ish (right?) but is it bad?

Also could this explain my "random" power offs?

Thanks
    NevyNev

2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

did it always run that hot? Have you cleaned out the heatsink from dust? It tends to build up after a while.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Shut down the computer. Wait until it cools off, and open it back. Now monitor the GPU temp.. see if the fan goes faster when the temp is higher, if not then you have the same issue I did with my GTX 260. I had to RMA it.

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

83C is definatly not a great thing for a GPU at idle, seriously check it out before it removes some money from your wallet.

5. skybarge

skybarge just chilling at work

hmmm sounds a tad high, not too bad though, is it a single slot cooler still? the single slot in mine used to run about 70-75, but as soon as I put a Zalman ZF1000 on it, dropped to 45 :S
    If it's single slot, get a new cooler :) if you aren't worried about it though

Check what it runs at while gaming, is the TV using the chip to decode it? If it reaches over 95, then you are close to cooking it(they cook round 110-120)

6. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I had the same problem with my 8600GT in my laptop, was idling at around 70-80. Took it apart and the heatsink had come off so the contact was quite bad. I was getting random power offs when the temp got to 120.

GoodBytes idea is a good one, make sure your fan is working properly. If the fan works fine it will probably be a contact issue or excessive dust in the heatsink. RMA it if it's under warrenty, if not see if it is making proper contact.

7. nevynev

nevynev What's a Dremel?

Right,
    Turned it on from cool (off overnight) and within 20 mins it was at 83C steadily, been that way for 30 mins now - just light internet browsing.

NVIDIA Monitor View says:

Fans:
    nForce: 224 RPM
    Aux2: 30420 RPM

It's warm ATM but that shouldn't matter too much. My Alarm clock thermo says 23.5C in my room atm.

Does that lend much to your thoughts?

Thanks for all the feedback so far.
    Will take out GPU later today and dust off etc.

Cheers
    NevyNev

8. GoodBytes

Ok, now run a game, play it... and see if the GPU FAN accelerates in speed. If not, then the fan sensor (so that it accelerate faster as temp rises increase), is broken, as the fan stay at the same speed.

9. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Use This Tool in a window alongside GPU-Z (set to monitor in the background)

when it starts press "O" (letter) twice to switch to skull model, press 8 for increased multisampling, press D once, and G seven times. Make sure the res takes up most of the screen and let it plow away, more convenient (and often more stressful) than testing with games

10. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

nice find with that one. I'm going to give it a try when I get home.

11. bdead

bdead rawk.

Hi everyone, just signed up!

I funnily enough had just recently had a similar issue with a mates 1950xtx (a notoriously hot card with TERRIBLE stock cooling) it was idling at around 85 C and loading at 100+ C and this was in a pretty decent air'd Antec 900.

First of all I took it apart, reapplied some MX-2 thermal paste on the main heatsink, cleaned everything with compressed air. Plugged it back in, and temps were instantly down to 59 idle, which is still quite hot but much better then its 80.

Since you've got a nvidia card you can go even further.

On my current GTX 275 (again a pretty hot card, using the gainward non-reference one which is silent as a mouse) I was looking at idle temps at around 55-57 C. In my Antec P182 with Noctua fans , it's VERY quiet but as a result airflow takes a knock so I thought why not underclock the card whilst it's doing nothing 3D based. Whilst yes the Nvidia cards should automatically declock themselves whilst idling (in my case the core drops from 700Mhz to 300) I deicded to lower the core to 150Mhz with the shader linked to see what would happen.

My idle temps dropped from 55 C to 45 C and there was NO perfromance drop because the second you open a 3D app it shoots the clocks back up. Aero in Vista/Win 7 works fine with it underclocked also. this is quite easily done via RivaTuner. via this screen:

However one piece of advice, do NOT drop the memory clocks because the cards do not enjoy it and you will more likely get artifacts. :sigh:

[​IMG]

just on the drop down menu choose "standard 2D" and watch the temps drop in GPUz!

12. GoodBytes

Oh another idea, if you have Nvidia System Tool (the tool to overclock your GPU): uninstall it.
    I know that sometimes it can screw up your GPU fan. See if that helps.

13. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Pfft, can't even load my 4870 to 100%.

Use FurMark instead! (rename the executable to etqw.exe, 640x480, 0xAA, window mode, Stability Test, Xtreme Burning)

Although I've found even a worse one: OCCT Perestroika. I still prefer FurMark for some reason though.