bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 27th Jul 2009, 15:24   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
AVG update kills iTunes

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...kills-itunes/1

:O

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2009, 15:28   #2
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'm not entirely sure that is a glitch...

iTunes on Windows is offensively bad, almost like a virus.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2009, 15:36   #3
mclintox
Eat cheese!

mclintox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal

+1
mclintox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2009, 15:58   #4
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
LOLz, didn't St Steve of Jobs once describe it as a cup of ice water to people roasting in hell?

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2009, 16:03   #5
andrew8200m
All of the hilarious

andrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyan
iTunes rarely works properly anyway and often crashes... whats the issue? It just seems to me that all avg has done is highlight how awfuliTunes is and as a result seems to think its one giant virus in need of permenant deletion.

Andy
andrew8200m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2009, 16:21   #6
_DTM2000_
Senior Super Douche

_DTM2000_ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I can just about forgive an AV software company if a new virus def screws up a piece of software that can be easily reinstalled as it's not like they can test it against every piece of software but when it screws up the OS it's designed for then that's a serious failure. AVG are obviously not testing their defs thoroughly enough.
_DTM2000_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2009, 16:48   #7
Denis_iii
Ultramodder

Denis_iii has yet to learn the way of the DremelDenis_iii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclintox
Quote:

+1
+1

classic go AVG
Denis_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2009, 16:50   #8
clx
Minimodder

clx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclintox
Quote:

+1
+1

Some iTunes users have been left with the impression that Apple's software really was infected, with one user even stating that “even if you go back to Apple and get the [iTunes] setup again, [it] is infected." <- some clever people there...
clx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2009, 16:51   #9
Sir Digby
The Supprising Adventures

Sir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run Crysis
And nothing of value was lost
Sir Digby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2009, 16:55   #10
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifter3000
LOLz, didn't St Steve of Jobs once describe it as a cup of ice water to people roasting in hell?
Well it does have the same effect to the usability of my PC as a cup of icewater...
Old 27th Jul 2009, 16:59   #11
supermonkey
Deal with it

supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I use both iTunes and AVG, and I admit I raised an eyebrow when the alert first came up. I figured it was a bug, and it looks like my initial suspicion was correct. Oh well. We patch and we move on. such is life in an age in which almost every part of our lives is run by a computer.

Not sure about all the iTunes hate, though. It's never crashed on me, and I haven't run into any major problems to speak of - no more so than any other media software I've tried.

-monkey
But of bliss and of glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
-J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion
supermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2009, 16:59   #12
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by _DTM2000_ View Post
I can just about forgive an AV software company if a new virus def screws up a piece of software that can be easily reinstalled as it's not like they can test it against every piece of software but when it screws up the OS it's designed for then that's a serious failure. AVG are obviously not testing their defs thoroughly enough.
This.

I abandoned AVG when their software got bloated, slow (AVG8) and false-positived on some very interesting files - msconfig.exe, hal.dll and lsass.exe among them. Another definition update later, it wasn't detecting them as trojans any more. To this day, I still wonder why AVG suddenly decided to mark my legit fear.exe (patch 1.08) as a trojan, when prior to that update it never had. The daft thing was, it didn't complain at the no-CD version.
Old 27th Jul 2009, 18:10   #13
sear

iTunes is basically the most painful application ever made. Maybe it works okay on OS X, but on Windows it's slow and clunky, uses tagging formats incompatible with other programs, is missing support for tons of files like FLAC (in favour of Apple's inferior ALAC), lacks lots of functionality and customisation, and takes a downright sinful amount of memory and CPU to run. AVG should just go ahead and install Foobar in place of iTunes for those customers, I think they'd be happier... provided they're smart enough to figure it out.

All that aside though, I'm not a fan of AVG anymore. Lately versions of their program have been extremely slow and resource-hogging, and it never really worked too well for me in removing any problems - I'd often have to manually search down viruses and clean them myself because it was unable to remove them. I've been using Eset Smart Security happily for the last while, and it's by far the best general security program I've ever used.
Old 27th Jul 2009, 18:51   #14
dicobalt
Multimodder

dicobalt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Killing iTunes is a feature not a flaw, what's the problem here? Once the iTunes driver actually locked my cd drive and I couldn't use it. Even after uninstalling iTunes it wouldn't unlock the drive. Apparently the iTunes drivers didn't uninstall and I had to uninstall drivers with a special utility. What a PITA.
dicobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2009, 19:08   #15
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Ding dong, the witch is dead.
Old 27th Jul 2009, 19:42   #16
BioSniper
I Mod, Therefore I Own

BioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Whats with all the iTunes hate? I could swear people here must have used it back in version 4.0 and never tried at again since.

Bit daft that AVG didn't test things properly first though. A false positive is better than not detecting anything at all though imo.

Quote:
Frankly this thread has become a bunch of methed up old women in a hat store.
BioSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2009, 19:47   #17
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSniper View Post
Whats with all the iTunes hate? I could swear people here must have used it back in version 4.0 and never tried at again since.

Bit daft that AVG didn't test things properly first though. A false positive is better than not detecting anything at all though imo.
iTunes has never got better. It's always been a sluggish, badly ported piece of software. As more and more "features" get added, the more it slows down, and the larger the download gets.

POS, only used for updating the iPhone here.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2009, 20:13   #18
Rkiver
Cybernetic Spine

Rkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've used iTunes on the PC I built for my folks (they got free iPods through my Dads work for some odd reason). Compared to what I was used to using it was bloated, and the way iTunes seemed to grab everything and say "mine" and not let anything else use it (with regards to music and videos) is rather annoying.

My music, my videos, my choice. For now I tend to use VLC or Winamp. Far smoother running and less of a footprint on my system.
Old 27th Jul 2009, 20:35   #19
knuck
Hate your face

knuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I freaking hate iTunes as well and that's the main reason why I didn't buy an ipod. However, I didn't realize the Zune software would be such a POS ... Is it really that hard when you're a company that programs complete operating systems to just make ONE application that's light and efficient ?I guess it is
| Intel i7 4770K | 12GB DDR3 2000 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2xGTX 570 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 10.5TB total | Seasonic X-1250 | Auzentech Bravura X-Fi | Fractal Design Define R3 XL | Corsair H50 | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz |
knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2009, 20:39   #20
Rkiver
Cybernetic Spine

Rkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hehe, creative Zen cheesecake. Use whatever software you want!