1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs MSI: Finally hitting the nail on the head

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 4 Aug 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

Great article, finally MSI's getting some deserved good press :)
    Always been fond of them, they made great notebooks for years, it would be nice to see them do well in today's motherboard market.

3. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Less is more - a million SKUs is just stupid - too much choice from one manufacturer makes me more inclined not to make one at all and chose another brand.

also:
    Brandwagon? (I'll get my jacket...)

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I agree with Hugo - I've never liked Gigabyte for just that reason. Same reason why I don't like a lot of Asus' non-RoG boards too.

5. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

I fully agree that MSI's recent offering have been more then good enough to give the other two serious worries. It's just the little things like putting non-angled SATA connectors out of the way of dual slot GFX cards.

That said Asus's P55 boards are looking quite good.

I just hope that MSI sick to thier guns and continue down this road and not get caught up in the phase wars and the like.

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

MSI's twin Frozor GPUs are pretty nice.

7. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

I've generally stuck with MSI when I wanted a solid board that wouldn't set the world (or itself) alight, but would be reliable and straightforward. Great to see that they're competing in the performance arena now with an AMD board that literally, has its maximum price at £150 where the cheapest LGA1366 boards tend to start - but also has a value board at an impulse upgrade price.

8. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

of course part of me is asking.... is MSI's improvement due to the failure of others (Epox, Abit) and hence giving it a nice glow that it wouldnt have if those were still about?

aside from that, i totally agree that its good to have a market with more than 2 choices!

9. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

MSI have always been a close second to Asus for me, I've had a few of their boards over the years and they've been solid and reliable. More competition between manufacturers can only be good for us.

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Maybe, but I do recall DRMos being developed before Abit busted. That said, Abit was one hell of a company. Still MSI has impressed me much as of late too, and so far aside from their dodgy cheap GPUs, it's been smooth sailing.

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Have MSI ever been that bad?

12. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

My first (and only) MSI board was a terrible thing. Then again, it did use one of AMD's first attempts at an AGP chipset, which was horrible. The 750? Something like that. It got picky and wouldn't boot if you put RAM in in certain configurations, it didn't like some AGP graphics cards, even after the 'super bypass' patch... generally a horrible board. However, I do think it was more the fault of the chipset than the manufacturer. Still, it made me stick to Asus for years...

Tags: Add Tags