bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 14th Aug 2009, 13:37   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
New ARMA II expansion announced

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...on-announced/1

Bohemia Interactive has already announced a new expansion pack for ARMA 2, dubbed Operation Arrowhead.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2009, 14:20   #2
DragunovHUN
Go ahead, spell my name wrong.

DragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming Saiyan
As long as they keep working on the vanila patches....

gog.com - Classic videogames, Windows 7 compatible, no DRM, bundled extras, outstanding service. Check it out, get hooked, spread the word!
DragunovHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2009, 15:07   #3
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Still getting to grips with this game but I love the sandbox nature of the mission editor.... now only if you could give cattle waypoints to follow!
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2009, 15:39   #4
von_stylon
uber micro

von_stylon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I welcome the new expansion just as long as they carry on fixing the bugs its all gravy here. However I want ACE mod so badly right now and ACE with this expansion is just going to pwn deep and hard!
von_stylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2009, 16:15   #5
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
Them Takis come over 'ere, steal our jobs......
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

Steam: SMIFFY
SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2009, 16:29   #6
pimlicosound
Multimodder

pimlicosound has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIFFYDUDE
Them Takis come over 'ere, steal our jobs......
Haha! Nice.
pimlicosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2009, 16:55   #7
bbshammo
Modder

bbshammo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why is it in our community, we so easily accept half-arsedness?

I'm a major fan of the original OFP, and have ARMA's 1 and 2 also, but every time I buy it I curse myself for having parted with my hard-earned for what amounts to a broken game; unfinished, not worthy of a full retail price.

What strikes me is that the only reason they get away with this is because it has no competition. ROLL ON OPERATION FLASHPOINT 2, is all I can say.

My reason? Well, although I love OFP/ARMA, I can't condone blatnant exploitation of the circumstances by any developer, and to me it's clear that BIS are dragging their heels on this and doing what primarily suites them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for the almost on-time release of ARMA 2 and the ridiculously short time between that launch and the announcement of the addon, indicates that they see what's coming from Codies, and have no choice but to launch early and make as much as they can before the bar is raised beyond their capability.

Good old free market dynamics in action.

Complacency = FAIL!!
bbshammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2009, 17:49   #8
dicobalt
Multimodder

dicobalt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
From what I have read this game has such high system requirements there are no cards that can even play it. Unless playing at 960x600 on a 4890/275 doesn't give you massive headaches caused by a blurry scaled image. The game doesn't do SLI or Crossfire so forget about your extra GPU helping out. It also has tons of bugs.

Too bad because it looks like it could have been pretty cool, really my kinda game, someone screwed it up pretty bad though.
dicobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2009, 21:40   #9
bogie170
Supermodder

bogie170 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why don't they try fixing all the bugs to make the game playable before releaseing an expansion.

IMO its not even playable yet. My dvd is sat waiting untill ats at a reasonable state to play and I don't hold out any hope of that before Op Flashpoint 2.
bogie170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2009, 03:55   #10
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicobalt
From what I have read this game has such high system requirements there are no cards that can even play it. Unless playing at 960x600 on a 4890/275 doesn't give you massive headaches caused by a blurry scaled image. The game doesn't do SLI or Crossfire so forget about your extra GPU helping out. It also has tons of bugs.

Too bad because it looks like it could have been pretty cool, really my kinda game, someone screwed it up pretty bad though.
Only if you wanna run it with 10k view distance and everything maxed. You trim a few settings down a little and it runs quite nicely on my C2D E6600 @ 3ghz, 2 x 8800 GTX, 4 GB Win7 64bit
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2009, 02:51   #11
bbshammo
Modder

bbshammo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Another thing.

The main thing holding back performance is CPU, memory, bandwidth, and cores.

My system's an oc'd Q6600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 Gigs Ram, 512Mb 4870, and settings are all "normal", with AA to "low", and post-processing disabled.

For example, in a 128 player server I get around 50fps up to 30 players; around 40fps up to 60 players, and from 70 onwards, it drops like a stone, all the way to the 20's.

The graphics on screen haven't increased in at all, as the number of players have, but all the background stuff does.

This just goes to show how it's far more a CPU/platform dependent game, than a GPU one.

I just hope it works on as many cores as you can throw at it.

Seeing as only heavily oc'd i7 systems can play it at decent frame-rates at normal settings, maybe it'll only begin to be playable on high or full quality when 6 and 8 core machines come out... With DDR5 RAM!!
bbshammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2009, 13:12   #12
PQuiff
Supermodder

PQuiff has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Its a good game, i just wish they would optimise it a bit better. And they should concentrate on patches and stability, before milking us for some more.
PQuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2009, 14:38   #13
TurtlePerson2
Multimodder

TurtlePerson2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Developers shouldn't announce these things so soon. No one really wants an expansion pack three weeks after the game comes out, so why not announce it in a month or so. You can still have the same release date.
TurtlePerson2 is offline   Reply With Quote