Playstation 3 YLOD problem solved - Cheap way saving £145

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mikeuk2004, 18 Aug 2009.

1. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I bought my PS3 8th Feb 2008 for £323.99 with 2 games and 2 Blurays.

Just now while I was watching TV using Play TV, it just shut down.

I tried to turn it on and I get a Green light followed by Orange then a Red blinking light as if its in standby.

The darn thing will not turn on. The best bit is that when I phoned Sony, they want to charge £145 for it to be fixed!!!!!!!!

That is scandless, and they have the cheek to say that they will throw in a 3 month warrenty for Goodwill.

I cant aford to buy a new one and refuse to pay that kind of money to have it replaced after only
    18 months

At least when my 360 died MS replaced it free of charge which was around 18 months old too.

Now, I wonder if I should wait for the Slim? or is there somewhere I can get it fixed cheap?

Last edited: 22 Aug 2009
  2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

did you try the obvious stuff like the reset by holding the power down, unplugging play tv too of course.

Maybe test the HDD.

£145 is a lot of money for a repair, try returning to where you bought it and kicking up a fuss rather than Sony.

The only reason MS do the replacement is due to the huge number of failures and fear of a class action against them, in the early days they offered nothing to people with failures out of warranty and charged for repair, if they had a reasonable failure rate they wouldn't offer anything now, much like any other company.

Last edited: 18 Aug 2009
  3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Get a 360. Much bigger lineup of games, comfortable controller and Microsoft gives a 3 year warranty for all 360s.

4. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

The 3yr Warranty is for the E74 error and RRoD on the 360. Anything else and you have only the standard 12 month warranty are required to pay for repairs. Mikeuk2004, try letting it sit for a few hours and then try, something could have possibly over heated. Mine did that when I first got it (although it was due to water damage) and I just left it alone for half the day and then it came on fine afterwards.

5. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Sales of good act mate.

All goods should be of expected standard and last a reaosnable amount of time - for most electrical applicanes a reason amount of time is consdered 2 years.

6. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Considering Sony's boisterous media claims that the PS3 is still for early adopters and should have a lifespan of over 10 years, the reasonable amount of time will be in excess of 2 years on this little doohickey. Still, yes, minimum 2 years. Especially for the cost.

Will

7. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

hilariously loyal

8. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

TBH there's not much else that tends to go wrong with them. I used to frequent some xbox 360 forums for a few years and besides some DVD drives gone bad, the only real problem was the RROD and E74.

9. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Where I live in the North East we have a chain of shops called Grainger Games, most of which you can take a broken console into and they will fix it. Don't you have anything like this where you are? There has to be a game shop with a repair service as it has to be cheaper than Sony.

10. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Grainger games is awesome, uber cheap and even sell NTSC copies of games on region free consoles. I saw FFIII for the DS 2 months before it's UK release brand new not pre owned :D

Whatever you do don't send it in for repairs. I had a very bad experience with Sony on my first PS2. My sister stood on the controller wire and pulled it down with force at about 3ft and it wouldn't play games anymore. Sent it away to get fixed. £60. Came back broken, made a huge grinding and ticking noise when it came back, wouldn't play games. Sent it back again as the repair was still under warranty, same problem, sent back, same problem. Basically sent it back 5 times. Not once came back fixed. I gave up in the end :'(

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'll be honest, I've seen about 10+ PS3s go into my shop, all are 60GBs with the YLOD.

7/10 they will work. I'm guessing yours is the 60GB version right?

Well, the only help i can give you is to go on the afterdawn forums and search for the YLOD fix. It actually works. Still it's insane they'll charge you that much, over in the US they charge $150, and you have to foot the shipping.

As for the 2nd gen(40/80/160GB) PS3s, the only issue is either a bad HDD sector or a Blue ray lens that's dead.

12. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I'm still running an original 60gb.

13. Elton

Lucky you.

14. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Slight de-rail/hijack but any easy way to fix the blu-ray laser? Mine is on its way out for the SECOND time and its out of 1 year now. First time round they actually did a doorstep swap of the whole console.
    Easy to tell that its failing though due to heavy disc access noises when trying to read blu-ray or DVD discs :(

15. Elton

Well, the easiest way is to take apart the PS3 and change the whole mechanism, metal box and all.

As long as you get one on ebay that's for your model it should be fine.

And assuming your PS3 is a 60 or a early 80GB version(the ones with the shiny PSU) and the ones with the large control board on the bottom of the blu-ray drive, keep the drive board, as that's tied to your PS3 mobo and just change the blu-ray drive.

I repeat, keep the bottom PCB that's attached to the metal box/blu-ray drive, just change the drive and keep the PCB.

16. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

Ditto.

Too many people fail to realise that you can have a claim under the SoGA irrespective of any manufacturer's warranty.

Write to the person/firm you bought it from (ie. with whom you have a 'contract' at law) telling them that you believe they have defaulted under their statutory obligations as set out in the SoGA 1979 and that you require a repair or replacement. Under the SoGA, if a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty). N.B. even though you are technically just outside of this six months period, courts often side with the consumer vs. big business. If they refuse to do either (repair or replace) make a money claim online.

17. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

the sellers warrantee is usually shorter than the manufactorers. sellers usually wont take anything back after 12 months but the manufactorer might.

You can send it back/ask for a replacement/get rapaired from either the seller or manufactorer but after a certain period the seller wont take it back

id assume its a failure in some piece of the hardware that can be replaced? for cheaper than £145.

18. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Cheers for the advice,

however I gues I cant use the Sales of Goods Act now ive removed the warrenty seal to open up the thing and clean the dust out. I was hoping that once i got rid of the dust it will work.

It was bought from HMV Online so they will definatley not take it back.

19. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

For future reference, it has a dust cleaning function... If I remember right:

Turn it off at the back.
    Turn it back on while holding the eject and power button.

It makes it go nuts - all fans roaring - for about 10 seconds and will cough out a load of dust, but it really helped mine. It used to be on full fan speed almost permanently, but now it's only after about an hour of play time and will quickly shush itself after about ten minutes.

20. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

^Wow, that's an interresting feature.