bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 19th Aug 2009, 20:19   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Molyneux: RPG design is flawed

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...gn-is-flawed/1

GC 09: Microsoft's Peter Molyneux has claimed that there is something wrong with modern RPGs.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2009, 20:26   #2
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
yes because a console rpg where you cant die is the future of things to come.

my arse it is!
Gunsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2009, 20:38   #3
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Did he get replaced by a very poor clone during the development of B&W?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2009, 20:47   #4
Greentrident
Multimodder

Greentrident is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Greentrident is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Greentrident is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Greentrident is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Greentrident is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Greentrident is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Greentrident is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Greentrident is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Greentrident is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Greentrident is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Greentrident is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I've always thought that the way characters just always get better and better until they are almost invincible superhumans could be changed - if you become massively strong you would expect to slow down due to the weight of muscle for example. Or as your character gets older they might learn new skills but get slower to heal. It would certainly make rpgs a lot more strategic since you couldn't just rely on getting better at fighting and might have to adapt differently as you age.
Greentrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2009, 20:48   #5
D-Cyph3r
Gay for Yunosuke

D-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
“We made good steps in Fable 2 with the dog companion, the breadcrumb trail and the no-death feature...but we aren’t stopping there,”

Seriously, who can consider anything this man says as anything other than utter nonsense?
D-Cyph3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2009, 21:49   #6
dragontail
5bet Bluffer

dragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Cyph3r
Quote:
“We made good steps in Fable 2 with the dog companion, the breadcrumb trail and the no-death feature...but we aren’t stopping there,”

Seriously, who can consider anything this man says as anything other than utter nonsense?
Molyneux has shown he likes to implement radical and new gameplay design in his games. SOmetimes they work well, and sometimes they don't. Personally, I'm waiting till more concrete evidence of this new feature in Fable 3 appears before making any judgements.
Old 19th Aug 2009, 21:51   #7
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
what I liked about alternate reality and it's dungeon expansion.. you could be cold- had to carry food, you could wither.. was pretty cool

plus you could haggle in the store with the shopkeeper, talk with the bartender and buy drinks for people in the bar.. your armor and weapons could break and needed upkeep.. you didn't run around thinking I need this many bats to level up- you were just trying to survive.. this was all back in the 80's on a 64k, 8-bit rig

you were considered a bucktooth, there was no 400 lb saddle poppers to sell to.. how is taking away death going to be better? and pokemon yeah

you know what would have the mongloids watering at the mouth.. make a game and base it on gunbuster manga- you put a cloak over yourself and can repel the universe
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2009, 22:07   #8
alpaca
llama eats dremel

alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
kind of sad even fable 2 was not ported to pc... i really liked fable 1 the lost chapters.
i guess there was no rpg where you could moon to the big boss before killing him, and they fixed that.
'every boss is moonable in fable 3! now worship us because we are the absolute obama's of the RPG world'
or maybe not
Old 19th Aug 2009, 22:36   #9
MiNiMaL_FuSS
ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

MiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming Saiyan
B&W had sooo much potential...the problem was most GAMERS didn't see or utilise it.

I remember teaching my creature to put trees into the workshop and build houses himself, harvest the wheat, and run the whole show on his own! most people just taught it spells and thought that was it!

Everything Moly did after that was over hyped rubbish though...
Old 19th Aug 2009, 22:54   #10
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Something wrong since the 80's? Clearly the man has never played any of the Baldur's Gate games. KOTOR was good too.
I'll be interested to see what he does to "fix" RPG's.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2009, 23:06   #11
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
in what universe is not dying a "feature"

edit: the molyverse!
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2009, 23:33   #12
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I only played 30mins of Fable 2, I just couldn't stand the overall feeling of the "my first RPG" experience. Anything said about RPG's that isn't from the Bioware doctors is utter crap imo. Dragon Age and ME2 are the games I'm most looking forward to in the next year.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2009, 00:09   #13
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I hope someone straps Molyneux into a chair and tapes his trap shut.

This is the start of a lot of build up to a game that will be adequate at best - See his entire other collection of work and their associated pre-release talking from the man himself.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2009, 00:19   #14
Trefarm
No matter what... It's all good

Trefarm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm probably alone.... But I want my RPG's to be harder, much longer, more intricate, with a truly bewildering array of strategies and paths. (Notice how at no point did I mention Graphics or DLC or 'Revolutionising the way we play games'.)
In short I'd like my RPG to be as unaccessable to the average gamer as possible, because after a decade or so of gaming I'm getting bitter and grumpy about dumbing games down.

Last edited by Trefarm; 20th Aug 2009 at 12:06.
Trefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2009, 01:47   #15
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
trefarm i agree
i just cant see it happening tho
i cant see dragon age offering this either
although have you tried playing eve online?

We Will need to find out what is apparently wrong with my fave genre
Old 20th Aug 2009, 03:54   #16
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNiMaL_FuSS View Post
B&W had sooo much potential...the problem was most GAMERS didn't see or utilise it.

I remember teaching my creature to put trees into the workshop and build houses himself, harvest the wheat, and run the whole show on his own! most people just taught it spells and thought that was it!

Everything Moly did after that was over hyped rubbish though...

Fully agree with you there, Black & White 1 was quite an amazing game, I still play it on LAN and stuff with friends and over Hamachi. Truly a wonderful and amazingly complex yet simple to use game. The mechanics behind the creature AI was absolutely wonderful. Black & White 2.. was a major let down IMO, sure, it was fun, but the creature was reduced to near-uselessness, which is a shame.

Fable 2 was cool, but the no dying thing was a bit lame & boring, there simply was no reason not to rush in like an idiot and die 50 times over except for scars. OOHH a scar, big deal.

Also..

Quote:
Molyneux implied that whatever the perceived problem was it’s something that Lionhead has found a solution too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trefarm View Post
I'm probably alone.... But I want my RPG's to be harder, much longer, more intricate, with a truly bewildering array of strategies and paths. (Notice how at no point did I mention Graphics or DLC or 'Revolutionising the we we play games'.)
In short I'd like my RPG to be as unaccessable to the average gamer as possible, because after a decade or so of gaming I'm getting bitter and grumpy about dumbing games down.
Totally with you, Fallout 3, Elder Scrolls IV, KoTOR2, NWN2, etc are all good examples of beefy RPGs I think. I still play NWN1 actually.
Old 20th Aug 2009, 05:04   #17
knyghtryda
Multimodder

knyghtryda has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think you have to go a little farther back to find truly great RPGs. Look at Baldurs Gate 2 (talk about epic...), Icewind Dale and Fallout 1/2. Fallout 3 and KOTOR are great, but they lack the crazy depth and strategy those old school RPGs provide. Out of the modern RPGs I would have to say The Witcher as being one of the the best, if not the best RPG in recent memory. Its has a deep (if a bit overly done) story with a great combat and upgrade system.
Old 20th Aug 2009, 06:49   #18
Elton
Proud Model M User

Elton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I wish there'd be a BW3...BW1 was awesome and BW2...well it wasn't too great, but it was fun.

Sadly most people never got past the casting spells and killing people thing...

Having a creature run the show was the best.
Old 20th Aug 2009, 10:56   #19
hexx
Multimodder

hexx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
the last good rpg i played was fallout 2 , before fallout ishar trilogy and ultima underworld
Old 20th Aug 2009, 11:25   #20
hexx
Multimodder

hexx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by knyghtryda
I think you have to go a little farther back to find truly great RPGs. Look at Baldurs Gate 2 (talk about epic...), Icewind Dale and Fallout 1/2. Fallout 3 and KOTOR are great, but they lack the crazy depth and strategy those old school RPGs provide. Out of the modern RPGs I would have to say The Witcher as being one of the the best, if not the best RPG in recent memory. Its has a deep (if a bit overly done) story with a great combat and upgrade system.
Fully agree with The Witcher, the last proper RPG from the new ones. Can't help but Fallout 3 sux, shame i bought the best boxed version which was available just to play it for few days and then i got fed up, what they've done to fallout is just ridiculous, it shouldn't carry that name as it's got nothing in common with classic fallouts.