bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 26th Aug 2009, 14:05   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
MS nearly destroyed FASA and Bungie

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...s-and-bungie/1

Microsoft nearly destroyed the development culture fostered in Bungie and FASA Interactive, says FASA founder.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2009, 14:29   #2
DragunovHUN
Go ahead, spell my name wrong.

DragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Westwood, and more recently Stormregion come to my mind. But there are many examples in this industry, sadly.

gog.com - Classic videogames, Windows 7 compatible, no DRM, bundled extras, outstanding service. Check it out, get hooked, spread the word!
DragunovHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2009, 14:59   #3
Tyrmot
Supermodder

Tyrmot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Makes you wish FASA had never been bought by MS in the first place really. Who knows what games they might have brought out otherwise?
Tyrmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2009, 15:00   #4
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Bullfrog too.
Old 26th Aug 2009, 15:02   #5
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
nearly? id say they did a pretty good job of destroying them through corperate greed,
Gunsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2009, 15:02   #6
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Pretty much any developer acquired by a big publisher loses what it once had. Although I do still like what Rare are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2009, 15:04   #7
talladega
I'm Squidward

talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
So MS bought the company and then closed it down so no other systems could have games from those IPs?
Old 26th Aug 2009, 15:21   #8
UrbanMarine
Government Prostitute

UrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the DremelUrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Westwood, Black Isle Studios, DICE, 3DRealms, FASA (too many to list) are all companies that went to **** when bought up or failed in contracts.

I loved the first 3 Mechwarrior games. Then MS came and it wrecked a good series. They need to get back on track with the novels and restart the series.

@Talladega: EA's well known for buying up IPs and not producing games. They're locking out the market and letting classics die.
Old 26th Aug 2009, 15:50   #9
DragunovHUN
Go ahead, spell my name wrong.

DragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnituens
Bullfrog too.
Oh yeah, Bullfrog : (

gog.com - Classic videogames, Windows 7 compatible, no DRM, bundled extras, outstanding service. Check it out, get hooked, spread the word!
DragunovHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2009, 16:11   #10
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
Origin went completely downhill when it got bought too, from being one of the biggest, most successful developers to a practically unheard of outfit putting out crappy Ultima Online addons.
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2009, 16:16   #11
TGImages
Grandpa

TGImages has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Have you ever seen your company ruined by a ham-handed buy-out,"

No, we are the ham-handed buy out company...

Actually it isn't quite that simple. We're merging many of our sister companies into us, but this is all at the direction of our parent company (which one way or another owns all of us) so in this case we're just the middleman. As we incorporate them into us, they will be required to follow the corporate standards which many don't like. All along they were required to do so but most got away with ignoring that directive for a number of years.

So, for the rest of the year we get to make life miserable for a bunch of other people all because their upper management wasn't willing to make the necessary changes years ago when they should have. On the other hand, if we weren't going in and taking them over, with the economic hit they took, I think they would be shutting their doors instead.

I'm certainly not defending MS here and I think that with any merger or acquisition, you have to openly evaluate the differing processes and adopt the one that makes the most sense even if means you change instead of them changing.
TGImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2009, 16:29   #12
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Some specifics would be nice.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2009, 16:31   #13
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Not you, TGI. I mean Weisman.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2009, 23:50   #14
DLoney
Multimodder

DLoney has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
what MechWarrior game is that image from?
DLoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Aug 2009, 00:23   #15
AWowzer
Minimodder

AWowzer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
biggest ever tragedy was the destuction of Origin by EA. their technology was always years ahead of everyone else. they always pushed hardware to its limits, achieving what people never thought would be possible.

will never forget in 1994, origin coming out with wing commander 3, the first game that felt like you were in an interactive film where your actions determined what happened. the graphics engine, the game and film production value. would love to see what they would have produced on current gen hardware.

its weird how sony's and nintendo's first party studios are keeping their consoles from being a failure whereas the 360's success has been driven mainly by 3rd party. if microsoft could back that up with more successful 1st party studios without ruining them they would be streets ahead
AWowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Aug 2009, 07:17   #16
somidiot
Modder

somidiot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Way to go microshaft with your "we've got lots of money we can do whatever the (insert choice explative) we want to"
Little guy? what little guy? :-p
somidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Aug 2009, 12:20   #17
PQuiff
Supermodder

PQuiff has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah i remember Origin and Wing Commander 3...it needed 6 or 8 megs of ram....and i remember my PC only had 4...was truly gutted.

Im a bit perplexed at large studio buyouts. Surely the reason for buying a dev studio is because there profitable or the games they make show promise. They they go in and break a thing that is working by making the studios do things there way. Why not leave them alone, and once in a while send someone along to make sure they are not going compleatly batshit crazy.
PQuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Aug 2009, 12:39   #18
Trefarm
No matter what... It's all good

Trefarm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQuiff
Im a bit perplexed at large studio buyouts. Surely the reason for buying a dev studio is because there profitable or the games they make show promise. They they go in and break a thing that is working by making the studios do things there way. Why not leave them alone, and once in a while send someone along to make sure they are not going compleatly batshit crazy.
... one word Management... There is always a guy responsible for the 'Streamline Integration' of the new dev's in the company, (who can't do what they do) but has to justify his existance/fat paycheck to his boss.
Because he's Management it's all about the promotion for him, so he does what he knows best... buzzwords, mission statements, cost analysis and all that....
Guess how many Dev's give two hoots about Mission Statements?
Old 27th Aug 2009, 13:05   #19
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
The list is long, which is why i get so peeved when people whine about the fine dev companies like Blizzard, Valve and iD that are still around and doing quite well
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Aug 2009, 16:47   #20
sear

Remember, kids. Whenever you think someone important cares about you, your company or your intellectual property, you're wrong.