1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Lian Li Tyr PC-X1000 Case Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 2 Sep 2009.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I would seriously consider one of these if I were making a large home data server, would be perfect with one of the OCZ self contained water cooling kits for the CPU.

3. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

Hang on, they want how much?

4. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

I'm a Lian Li fan but even I wouldn't pay THAT much !!!

5. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

Thats a stupid price to pay for a case that cannot hold any decent amount of watercooling. Silverstone TJ07 looks nicer I think as well, less cluttered on the inside.

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Frankly that's a gorgeous case, and I'd happily choose it over most other things, but there is an upper limit to these things. That's crazy expensive.

That said, if you're done with that one Bit... can I have it?

Edit: Just having a look at the predocessor, the X2000... did Joe knick it from the office? It looks awfully familiar...

Last edited: 2 Sep 2009
  7. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Whooaoaaahaha how much!. you are kidding right! right?

this is such a thing that people really really want, but don't need.

8. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I think that for a case of that size its rather poorly laid out. There is so much space in the upper and lower compartments that are not used and also not available to be used by aditional items. For a basic example, it looks as though that if the power supply was moved to the upper compartment, Lian-Li could have had 3, not 2 HDD racks. For it to be a 'Special' case I would expect to be suprised or even amazed that so much could fit inside a case, not think that a case of this size should hold so much more.

As for looks, anything that looks this much like a server should be just that. So I would not want that case anywhere in view.

As for cost, for extreme products there are extreme price tags that have nothing to do with the 'cost' of the product. So I personally don't have an issue with that, if you want it and you are looking for something like this I am sure you will find the money.

9. CollinstheClown

CollinstheClown Hi

10. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

I'd happily pay that amount of money for a case.

I'd pay twice that for a well built case.

Cos you can EASILY spend 300 on a graphics card and it's out of date in 3 months time.

A case will last you years and years and the functionality is the same.

11. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

yeah, but are you willing to spend 300 quid on a case to have to cut into it for WC??? And to even mention that there was no room for 120.1 mounts is just sad (not that any respectable WC'er would be using just 120.1's but still).

Given that the TJ07 can fit a 120.3 +120.2 (almost another 120.3) in the bottom compartment without modding makes this pricetag a fail. Save the 100 pounds and get yourself one of those obsolete GPU's in 3 mos time.

12. psychoti

psychoti What's a Dremel?

300! ROLF :D

13. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I paid over £200 for my TJ07, but i wouldn't spend any more on a case. And i can see there is sooo much potential for the X1000, but i agree, the price is far to extreme. Looking at it's brother, the X200B is £326 on KustomPCs, now that is ouch.

Sam

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You see I disagree - you can now get 140mm radiators so just strap one to the base (maybe) and a .2 in the front.

The £200 Corsair can "only" fit in a .3 radiator (using smaller 120mm fans) in the roof and people are saying "that's enough".

15. N!ck

N!ck ModMag.Net

+1

16. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

yes, but until you have fans that can actually perform at 140, then it's still a little loss in the amount of cooling you're dealing with.

And when you say 1, are you saying a 140.1? Does this imply you would have two separate loops, or one combined? I can see that a total 140.3 (however it's divided) would be 'enough' for most uses, as long as you're not dipping into the realms of tri-sli. But isn't that what this case is made for, tri and quad set-ups? With that amount of hardware in there I would want more cooling power, and as I stated you can get a 120.3 + 120.2 in the bottom of a TJ07 with no modding. Just take a look at the Murdermod stuff that Charles H puts out and you can see what can be accomplished with a case that 'only' costs £199 and still be as clean, if not more so, than anything done today. Period.
    But I'm not disagreeing with the beauty of the case, it has lot's of potential, but the price makes it below a 4 on your scale I feel as ones we'll see in the upcoming year I'm sure will be sponsored builds and nothing more. Although I'd like to see the shaky dremel hand of the modder making rad cuts into the bottom panel who doesn't have sponsorship.

@Mighty Yoshimi - you can send me the other £300 and buy yourself the case since you'd pay double

17. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

But a case is, in its simplest form, a metal box. We've had the technology for years now. In fact, one could theoretically construct a case out of a wardrobe/filing cabinet+fans for about £150. The hardware is representative of almost the best technology can offer. £300 is a crazy price, the only people I can imagine buying it are people who think the higher the price the better.

18. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

I absolutely love the look of this case, along with its internals. Not so much bothered about watercooling but still... for £300 pound they are taking the mick a bit. I thought it was ment to be significantly cheaper then the X2000? Shame.

Roll on the PC-B25F. That also looks good and is tipped for £120.

19. leslie

leslie Just me!

It looks like nothing special, give me an Antec P18X or P19x series over this.

And why would anyone use this as a server as mentioned above, there are far cheaper boxes that will serve as a server (Antec 300, Cooler Master Centurion). You don't need a $300 box to house a simple server with lots of drives in a corner of your basement or closet.

Sorry, this case is just silly.
    Look at what all it lacks, what it has, and what it is, B.T. got it right on value. $200 would be my limit, and that is stretching it.

Just because it has Lian-Li's name on it, it does not mean it is a great case.

20. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I was lucky enough to get a review sample of the x1000, and x500 ages ago, and I loved them both. They look great, both inside and out, and the little touches like the hot swap SATA bays, and the dust filter were great.:thumb: I wish I had kept hold of them now to be honest.

Tags: Add Tags