bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 4th Sep 2009, 14:07   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Hacker runs Ubuntu on Amazon Kindle

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...mazon-kindle/1

An enterprising hacker has successfully forced his Kindle 2 e-book reader to run the ARM port of popular Linux distribution Ubuntu.

CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2009, 14:36   #2
War-Rasta
Supermodder

War-Rasta has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Impressive! Kinda pointless but impressive nonetheless 8-0
Old 4th Sep 2009, 15:51   #3
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is kinda cool, it could open the door to some people writing a custom operating system to open up new uses for the device.
Old 4th Sep 2009, 16:13   #4
antiHero
ReliXmas time!

antiHero has yet to learn the way of the DremelantiHero has yet to learn the way of the DremelantiHero has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think its more of a "prof of concept" as the limited processing power and text only display isnt good for anything else then what the kindle 2 is build for anyway.

Awesome non the less
antiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2009, 16:23   #5
aradreth
Supermodder

aradreth can run Crysisaradreth can run Crysisaradreth can run Crysisaradreth can run Crysisaradreth can run Crysisaradreth can run Crysisaradreth can run Crysisaradreth can run Crysisaradreth can run Crysisaradreth can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiHero View Post
I think its more of a "prof of concept" as the limited processing power and text only display isnt good for anything else then what the kindle 2 is build for anyway.
Putting a different OS on it opens up support for more file formats like epub and pdf's which amazon decided not to include.

Last edited by aradreth; 4th Sep 2009 at 16:28.
aradreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2009, 17:28   #6
sear

Cool hack. There's always a sort of giddiness about getting stuff working on proprietary systems and the like. I'm not a free software nut but I do think that the fragmentation of the market is rather pointless and stifling. Good to see people trying to fix that, even if it's half for shits and giggles.
Old 4th Sep 2009, 18:46   #7
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
Someone put this video on the news post:

edit:

the one on this page:

http://hackaday.com/2009/09/03/ubuntu-9-04-on-kindle-2/
Old 4th Sep 2009, 19:25   #8
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Soon we'll have those star trek pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2009, 19:42   #9
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
the kindle seems pointless to me, give me something of that size but with a color lcd screen and throw in touch features and then we could have a cool and useful pad for doing all sorts of things, could be useful for say doctors pulling up medical charts and so on or like for the rest of us pulling up magazines, newspapers, and so on.
• DimasTech Test Bench • Black ICE Triple 120 Rad • Dual Bay Res/Pump • DD Fill Port & Res • D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block • ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo • AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz • 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory • (2) AMD 6870 XFire • (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 • (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE • Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive • ASUS XONAR DX2 • 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD • (2) 23" ASUS LCD • ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER • (4) NOCTUA P12 • (2) NOCTUA P14 • 1000W ZALMAN PSU • WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 •
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2009, 19:51   #10
ry@n
Ultramodder

ry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysisry@n can run Crysis
Reminds me of the guy that had MAME running on a digital camera.

- Dual Loop i7 Stacker Left Handed? CLICK HERE -
ry@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2009, 21:46   #11
B3CK
Supermodder

B3CK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Would be quite awesome if he could get the 3g to work, and then tether through a usb cord. Free unlimeted 3g access for your laptop! After the initial layout for the kindle of course.
Old 4th Sep 2009, 23:59   #12
TomH
Bwahahahahaha

TomH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by HourBeforeDawn
the kindle seems pointless to me, give me something of that size but with a color lcd screen and throw in touch features and then we could have a cool and useful pad for doing all sorts of things, could be useful for say doctors pulling up medical charts and so on or like for the rest of us pulling up magazines, newspapers, and so on.
See comment previous to yours, below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
This is kinda cool, it could open the door to some people writing a custom operating system to open up new uses for the device.
In the same way that someone managed to load their own feature-less Linux firmware on a Linksys WRT router, Mr. Vincent's 'pointless' hacks will pave the way for third-party firmware loading on the Kindle, most-likely allowing you to read what the hell you want, when you want. Expect a FOSS project page in five, four, three...
Old 5th Sep 2009, 11:59   #13
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Nice, can I have my Kindle now, please? And the books for reasonable prices? Travelling to work 1.5 hours there + 1.5 hours back every day, lots of reading to do.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2009, 19:43   #14
sheninat0r
What's a Dremel?

sheninat0r has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why would he pick Ubuntu, of all distros? I feel it would have been easier to start with a very minimal (CLI only) default install and work his way up from there.
Old 6th Sep 2009, 05:34   #15
kylew
Multimodder

kylew has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiHero

Awesome non the less
Then?
kylew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2009, 10:26   #16
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
That's the only mistake you spotted?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2009, 12:00   #17
kylew
Multimodder

kylew has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by perplekks45 View Post
That's the only mistake you spotted?
No, but it's the one that made me cringe the most.
kylew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2009, 13:00   #18
Rich_13
Hypermodder

Rich_13 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
slightly off topic, the lastest alpha is out forUbuntu