bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 8th Sep 2009, 12:44   #1
jsheff
Multimodder

jsheff has yet to learn the way of the Dremeljsheff has yet to learn the way of the Dremeljsheff has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Beards!

So my girlfriend decides to go travelling to Vietnam for 6 weeks this summer, and since she's the only person that complains when I'm not clean shaven, I've got my beard on, about 4 weeks and completely unstyled. Thing is, it's getting pretty annoying now.

Firstly, anyone got any tips for not being annoyed by a beard (that is, not shaving it off, just something to do to make it less annoying). Secondly, since I'm going to have to get rid of it at some point, I want to do a Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure-style trimming it down in stages. What styles should I try out?

Does anyone here admire the masculinity of a great beard, or are we living in a metrosexual era of clean shaven pretty boys? Anyone inbetween? Beards! Discuss!
jsheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2009, 12:48   #2
Mr Flibbles
I'm not part of the solution....

Mr Flibbles has yet to learn the way of the DremelMr Flibbles has yet to learn the way of the DremelMr Flibbles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Beards are awesome!!

just dont wear a bow tie, you'd look like Shipman.
Mr Flibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2009, 12:52   #3
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
im always rocking some stage of a beard. i find that when it gets to the stage that the hairs are curling back though it just gets itchy. so i shave it off with varying degrees of comedy.

basically you want to go for the jeremy beadle first, trim that down to a cavalier then onto the classic handlebar. at this stage you can either go for ian rush or adolf hitler.

good luck
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2009, 12:53   #4
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
beards.org

My port of call for beard advice.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2009, 12:56   #5
Journeyer
Mod Master

Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.

This reminded me of a classmate from highschool (I think this would be the UK equivalent) who was a really hairy guy - he could be clean shaven one day and turn up at school with a full beard the next. Anyway, he used to hide pencils, pens and even rulers in his beard - saying it was a lot more practical than carrying them around in separate cases.

In other words; yes they are cool because you can hide things in them. However, my grandafather also wore a full beard, which would get quite icky whenever he ate yoghurt, porridge or...well, pretty much anything. So to finalise; thumbs up for coolness, thumbs down for hygiene.

As for aesthetics? Not for me mate.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX || FX-8150BE || 16Gb Corsair DDR3 1866Mhz || 2xGTX285 SLI || 2xOCZ Agility 3 120Gb RAID0 for OS
Journeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2009, 12:56   #6
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I've been growing a beard for about three months (since I last shaved it off completely) and it's still pretty pathetic. I call it my 'Abe Lincoln Non-Beard' since I, for some reason, have strange bald spots on my neck and an inability to connect my whiskery tash with my barely fuzzy chin.

Still, it beats shaving all the time.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2009, 13:00   #7
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe View Post
I've been growing a beard for about three months (since I last shaved it off completely) and it's still pretty pathetic. I call it my 'Abe Lincoln Non-Beard' since I, for some reason, have strange bald spots on my neck and an inability to connect my whiskery tash with my barely fuzzy chin.

Still, it beats shaving all the time.
Lots of my friends have that issue..

Can't be any worse than one guy, his grows in patches.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2009, 13:01   #8
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
amen to that i'd have to shave twice a day if i wanted the clark kent look. luckily i dont (so the kryptonite razor sits in the drawer) but wet shaving is usually a genuinely painful experience unless i put oil on and let it soak 20 mins. bah.
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
Old 8th Sep 2009, 13:06   #9
Constructacon
Constructing since 1978

Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.
I find that it isn't the facial hair that gets annoying - it's the neck. When it gets to that itchy stage (about a week or so for me) I just shave my neck and leave the rest of the beard to grow. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

When shaving it off. I've always wanted to do the reverse trim down - shave out the middle with 2 whopping great tufts hanging off the side of your face. Think mutton chops on steroids, EPO and blood and bone all rolled into one.

MAME Over - Custom built arcade cabinet.
This season's mod - The New Black
Also modded - "Got Milk?"
Constructacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2009, 13:08   #10
Ice Tea
Supermodder

Ice Tea can run CrysisIce Tea can run CrysisIce Tea can run CrysisIce Tea can run CrysisIce Tea can run CrysisIce Tea can run CrysisIce Tea can run CrysisIce Tea can run CrysisIce Tea can run Crysis
@jsheff

Make sure your girlfriend checks out this thread for ideas

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=172499

Ice Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2009, 13:08   #11
Journeyer
Mod Master

Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constructacon View Post
2 whopping great tufts hanging off the side of your face. Think mutton chops on steroids, EPO and blood and bone all rolled into one.

Something like this?

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX || FX-8150BE || 16Gb Corsair DDR3 1866Mhz || 2xGTX285 SLI || 2xOCZ Agility 3 120Gb RAID0 for OS
Journeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2009, 13:10   #12
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

that's just plain disturbing
Old 8th Sep 2009, 13:10   #13
Constructacon
Constructing since 1978

Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.Constructacon is definitely a rep cheat.
That's fricken awesome!

EDIT: And he's a ranger too. Check out the ginge in the mo. Double social suicide.

MAME Over - Custom built arcade cabinet.
This season's mod - The New Black
Also modded - "Got Milk?"
Constructacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2009, 13:17   #14
specofdust
Banned

specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'm pretty much always bearded to one extent or another. Sometimes I get bored of the untrimmed mess, and either cut it down with a clippers to No.2, or shave it down to a goatee, which i'll keep for a month or so before getting too lazy to shave and then I'll just let it grow back to full beard.

Beards cheesecake
specofdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2009, 13:17   #15
Stuey
You will be defenestrated!

Stuey has yet to learn the way of the DremelStuey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
No beard for me - ONE week and my chin itches too much to bear.
Old 8th Sep 2009, 13:23   #16
hardtailstar
"insert title here"

hardtailstar has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhardtailstar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
since my beardy hair has turned into manly dark hair ive never been clean shaven altho i do trim it down about once a month
hardtailstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2009, 15:24   #17
jsheff
Multimodder

jsheff has yet to learn the way of the Dremeljsheff has yet to learn the way of the Dremeljsheff has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Got to say that right now it's not the neck that's irritating me, it's the 'tache creeping down to my upper lip that's most annoying. Usually trim it down to mutton chops and tache, but I'd quite like to keep the goatee going on the chin, it's basically the only part of the beard that the missus doesn't mind. I usually rock half inch sideburns that continue along my jawline to a short goatee with a soul patch, just not sure what to go for now.

@CardJoe: 3 Months? I believe that's picture-post worthy, no?
jsheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2009, 15:32   #18
BentAnat
Software Dev

BentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for president
Much like Joe, i am fortunate enough to look more like modern man than like a descendant of a chimp (i.e. i am in general not very hairy).
that means i am very lazy when it comes to shaving, and i can afford not to shave for several days before it starts looking like i didn't shave.

I consequentially shave about twice a week, as a bear growing on my upper lip or on my neck does nothing but irritate me. And every second tosser around town here wears a goatee... so i just go "Clark Kent" on everyone... chicks dig it
Old 8th Sep 2009, 16:32   #19
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Had a "beard" for four years or so, ever since I got Mumps and couldn't shave. I usually keep it very neat (a 1 on clippers) and trim every few days or so. Keeps it neat and tidy, clean yet still easier than everyday shaving. Plus I look about 12 without one, so I'm happy.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2009, 16:40   #20
hardtailstar
"insert title here"

hardtailstar has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhardtailstar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul View Post
Plus I look about 12 without one, so I'm happy.
i too have that same problem!
hardtailstar is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode