1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Beards!

Discussion in 'General' started by jsheff, 8 Sep 2009.

1. jsheff

jsheff What's a Dremel?

So my girlfriend decides to go travelling to Vietnam for 6 weeks this summer, and since she's the only person that complains when I'm not clean shaven, I've got my beard on, about 4 weeks and completely unstyled. Thing is, it's getting pretty annoying now.

Firstly, anyone got any tips for not being annoyed by a beard (that is, not shaving it off, just something to do to make it less annoying). Secondly, since I'm going to have to get rid of it at some point, I want to do a Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure-style trimming it down in stages. What styles should I try out?

Does anyone here admire the masculinity of a great beard, or are we living in a metrosexual era of clean shaven pretty boys? Anyone inbetween? Beards! Discuss!

2. Mr Flibbles

Mr Flibbles I'm not part of the solution....

Beards are awesome!!

just dont wear a bow tie, you'd look like Shipman.

Guest-16 likes this.
  3. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

im always rocking some stage of a beard. i find that when it gets to the stage that the hairs are curling back though it just gets itchy. so i shave it off with varying degrees of comedy.

basically you want to go for the jeremy beadle first, trim that down to a cavalier then onto the classic handlebar. at this stage you can either go for ian rush or adolf hitler.

good luck

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

beards.org

My port of call for beard advice.

Guest-16 likes this.
  5. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

:D
    This reminded me of a classmate from highschool (I think this would be the UK equivalent) who was a really hairy guy - he could be clean shaven one day and turn up at school with a full beard the next. Anyway, he used to hide pencils, pens and even rulers in his beard - saying it was a lot more practical than carrying them around in separate cases.

In other words; yes they are cool because you can hide things in them. However, my grandafather also wore a full beard, which would get quite icky whenever he ate yoghurt, porridge or...well, pretty much anything. So to finalise; thumbs up for coolness, thumbs down for hygiene.

As for aesthetics? Not for me mate.

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I've been growing a beard for about three months (since I last shaved it off completely) and it's still pretty pathetic. I call it my 'Abe Lincoln Non-Beard' since I, for some reason, have strange bald spots on my neck and an inability to connect my whiskery tash with my barely fuzzy chin.

Still, it beats shaving all the time.

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Lots of my friends have that issue..

Can't be any worse than one guy, his grows in patches.

8. [PUNK] crompers

amen to that i'd have to shave twice a day if i wanted the clark kent look. luckily i dont (so the kryptonite razor sits in the drawer) but wet shaving is usually a genuinely painful experience unless i put oil on and let it soak 20 mins. bah.

9. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

I find that it isn't the facial hair that gets annoying - it's the neck. When it gets to that itchy stage (about a week or so for me) I just shave my neck and leave the rest of the beard to grow. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

When shaving it off. I've always wanted to do the reverse trim down - shave out the middle with 2 whopping great tufts hanging off the side of your face. Think mutton chops on steroids, EPO and blood and bone all rolled into one.

10. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

11. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Something like this? :D

[​IMG]

12. [PUNK] crompers

that's just plain disturbing

13. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

That's fricken awesome!

EDIT: And he's a ranger too. Check out the ginge in the mo. Double social suicide.

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I'm pretty much always bearded to one extent or another. Sometimes I get bored of the untrimmed mess, and either cut it down with a clippers to No.2, or shave it down to a goatee, which i'll keep for a month or so before getting too lazy to shave and then I'll just let it grow back to full beard.

Beards Cheesecake

15. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

No beard for me - ONE week and my chin itches too much to bear.

16. hardtailstar

hardtailstar "insert title here"

since my beardy hair has turned into manly dark hair ive never been clean shaven altho i do trim it down about once a month

17. jsheff

jsheff What's a Dremel?

Got to say that right now it's not the neck that's irritating me, it's the 'tache creeping down to my upper lip that's most annoying. Usually trim it down to mutton chops and tache, but I'd quite like to keep the goatee going on the chin, it's basically the only part of the beard that the missus doesn't mind. I usually rock half inch sideburns that continue along my jawline to a short goatee with a soul patch, just not sure what to go for now.

@CardJoe: 3 Months? I believe that's picture-post worthy, no?

18. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Much like Joe, i am fortunate enough to look more like modern man than like a descendant of a chimp (i.e. i am in general not very hairy). ;)
    that means i am very lazy when it comes to shaving, and i can afford not to shave for several days before it starts looking like i didn't shave.

I consequentially shave about twice a week, as a bear growing on my upper lip or on my neck does nothing but irritate me. And every second tosser around town here wears a goatee... so i just go "Clark Kent" on everyone... chicks dig it ;)

19. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Had a "beard" for four years or so, ever since I got Mumps and couldn't shave. I usually keep it very neat (a 1 on clippers) and trim every few days or so. Keeps it neat and tidy, clean yet still easier than everyday shaving. Plus I look about 12 without one, so I'm happy.

20. hardtailstar

hardtailstar "insert title here"

i too have that same problem!