bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 14th Sep 2009, 13:57   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Bethesda sues Interplay over Fallout trademark

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...llout-tradem/1

Bethesda is suing Interplay over trademark infringement of the Fallout games.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2009, 14:06   #2
DragunovHUN
Go ahead, spell my name wrong.

DragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Bethesda also complains about Interplay licensing the first Fallout games to systems like Steam and GoodOldGames.com without seeking approval, as well as the release of other bundles of earlier games.
DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH THOSE, BETHESDA! I'M WARNING YOU!

gog.com - Classic videogames, Windows 7 compatible, no DRM, bundled extras, outstanding service. Check it out, get hooked, spread the word!
DragunovHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2009, 14:16   #3
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
I can understand Beth's complaint. Interplay don't own the rights to Fallout anymore, they can't go releasing new packages without consulting Beth first. It'd be like me selling you my car, and then going dirving it off without your permission.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2009, 15:13   #4
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
******s. Jump in a vat, Bethesda.
Old 14th Sep 2009, 15:22   #5
Cousteau
What's a Dremel?

Cousteau has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i agree with Bauul on this... Interplay sold the rights to Bethesda, therefore Bethesda are the rightful owners to distribute said licenses, no Interplay. Sure, Interplay may have made the games and still own the core code etc, but Bethesda own ALL rights to licensing and distribution of the old games - it's Interplay trying to gain some revenue back and therefore should have made a new deal with Bethesda before plying off their wares to steam etc knowing full well it was jumping on the bandwagon over Bethesda's own release of Fallout 3...

it's Interplay's own fault for not seeking permission first...

and to ply another comparison, it's like you being a music artist, selling your music to a record label who then own the full distribution and licensing rights (with royalties paid to the original artist) and then the original artist trying to flog the same album(s) on CDs distributed by themselves and not the record label they signed over to
Cousteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2009, 15:30   #6
DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming Saiyan
^Yeah yeah whatever, that is obviously the case but that's not the point that matters.

The point is that Bethesda could, and most likely will end up pulling these packages and that means no more Fallout because THEY sure as hell don't want to re-release any of the old games.

I don't know about you guys but i'm off to get the NoDRM version from GOG while i still can.
Old 14th Sep 2009, 16:16   #7
salesman
Multimodder

salesman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsalesman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragunovHUN
The point is that Bethesda could, and most likely will end up pulling these packages and that means no more Fallout because THEY sure as hell don't want to re-release any of the old games.
I really don't believe that is going to happen. Although I am not Bethesda neither do I work in the business, but this is fallout and I imagine some way or another it will find it's way into the hands of those wanting to play it.
E8400 3.0GHz | ASRock P45X3 Deluxe | EVGA 570 GTX | 8 GB GSkill memory | Crucial M4 64GB Boot Drive | 3x Samsung F3 1TB Raid 0 | 2x Samsung F4EG 1.5TB Raid 0 | Corsair AX750 PSU | Noctua NH-U12P | Antec P180 | M-Audio Audiophile 192 | Marantz PM5004 | Cambridge Soundworks Speakers | Duckey Shine | Dell U2410 |
salesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2009, 16:18   #8
DragunovHUN

If Bethesda cared for the old Fallout games, they would have released that bundle long ago. I think they're quite happy with just selling their own Fallout 3 expansion packs.
Old 14th Sep 2009, 16:41   #9
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul View Post
I can understand Beth's complaint. Interplay don't own the rights to Fallout anymore, they can't go releasing new packages without consulting Beth first. It'd be like me selling you my car, and then going dirving it off without your permission.
Yeah. However, Interplay were selling "The Fallout Collection" long before Bethesda bought the rights. I can see why Bethsoft would get in such a tizzy about a 'Fallout Trilogy' though.
Old 14th Sep 2009, 16:56   #10
Kiytan
Shiny

Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I have to side with bethesda on this one, It's really not very clever of interplay to go publishing things they don't have the right to anymore. I'm sure some type of deal could have been brokered with bethesda.

Calling it a trilogy as well is very misleading. Overall not a very good move on interplays part
Kiytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2009, 18:07   #11
Red 5
Hypermodder

Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe in the article
Bethesda alleges that the Fallout Trilogy title is confusingly similar to Fallout 3 and may affect sales.
Oh man, so true! I can't tell you how confused I was by the titling of Alien Cubed. Why cubed? It seemed to have little or no continuity from Alien either, almost as if there was something missing in between, but I've checked everywhere and there definitely isn't an Alien 2.

Red 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2009, 19:45   #12
Cabe6403
Supreme Commander

Cabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for president
It seems to me that this is Bethesda trying to take 100% control of the Fallout brand. At the moment it seems that interplay still hold a chunk of it, and Bethesda want that chunk.
I can kick you way up into a tree
Cabe6403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2009, 20:37   #13
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul
Why do all the metaphors and similes used on this forum always involve cars or the car industry
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2009, 20:47   #14
eternum
*blam* shotgun fanhole

eternum has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
They DO have complete control of it - they BOUGHT it. The only chunk that Interplay has is very specific (MMO) and only allowed to them conditionally. Bethesda has every right to litigate this - it just isn't terribly kind to gamers if they pull the games. And it was completely stupid for Interplay to try to sell the games that they no longer own the license for. If they had sought approval from Bethesda like they were supposed to, I'd be willing to bet they'd have said yes in exchange for a cut of the profits.
Old 14th Sep 2009, 21:28   #15
Red 5
Hypermodder

Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIFFYDUDE View Post
Why do all the metaphors and similes used on this forum always involve cars or the car industry
Because most of us are men. There's typically only two options, or at least two that spring immediately to mind.

Quote:
It'd be like me selling you my wife, and then getting her off without your permission.
See?
Red 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2009, 10:45   #16
BLC
Something witty goes here

BLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I think there's a little bit of misty-eyed nostalgia going on when it comes to Fallout - there are many, many die-hard Fallout fans who believe that Bethesda ruined the franchise, and thus do not want Bethesda's greasy mitts all over the original games. As already stated however, Bethesda now owns Fallout - Interplay were only licensed for the MMO - so Interplay can't go re-releasing or re-packaging the older games. It's simply not theirs any more.

I loved the original Fallout games, but I also think that Bethesda did a good job with Fallout 3. They did take away a lot of the appeal and charm of the older games (such as the black humour), but they have made a great game. FO3 feels much more bleak and barren, more like a post-apocalyptic wasteland. When you have to wander round the wastes for days to reach locations it's so much more immersive; you can see all the ruined cities & buildings in the distance, watch the landscape roll by... hopping in the car and watching a dot move round a map feels much more disconnected. (Granted it's only made possible with the better technology that we now have).

I think that, if it had been left to Interplay, they would have had another Duke Nukem Forever on their hands. They would have nurtured their baby endlessly, caring more about how to keep the next game true to the originals than actually getting a good game out the door.

Last edited by BLC; 15th Sep 2009 at 12:26. Reason: Ooops - I meant Duke Nukem Forever, not Duke Nukem 3D!
BLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2009, 11:58   #17
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC
I think there's a little bit of misty-eyed nostalgia going on when it comes to Fallout - there are many, many die-hard Fallout fans who believe that Bethesda ruined the franchise, and thus do not want Bethesda's greasy mitts all over the original games. As already stated however, Bethesda now owns Fallout - Interplay were only licensed for the MMO - so Interplay can't go re-releasing or re-packaging the older games. It's simply not theirs any more.

I loved the original Fallout games, but I also think that Bethesda did a good job with Fallout 3. They did take away a lot of the appeal and charm of the older games (such as the black humour), but they have made a great game. FO3 feels much more bleak and barren, more like a post-apocalyptic wasteland. When you have to wander round the wastes for days to reach locations it's so much more immersive; you can see all the ruined cities & buildings in the distance, watch the landscape roll by... hopping in the car and watching a dot move round a map feels much more disconnected. (Granted it's only made possible with the better technology that we now have).

I think that, if it had been left to Interplay, they would have had another Duke Nukem 3D on their hands. They would have nurtured their baby endlessly, caring more about how to keep the next game true to the originals than actually getting a good game out the door.
Excellent post.
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2009, 12:27   #18
BLC
Something witty goes here

BLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaser04 View Post
Excellent post.
Thank you - I aim to please...

Although I just noticed that I wrote Duke Nukem 3D, when I meant Duke Nukem Forever.... Ooops!
BLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2009, 14:14   #19
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaser04 View Post
Excellent post.
Thank you - I aim to please...

Although I just noticed that I wrote Duke Nukem 3D, when I meant Duke Nukem Forever.... Ooops!
Strangely I knew what you meant. Although it has been a long day (only lunch time!) and I have an afternoon of complex FX Swap modeling to work through....... YAY ........
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2009, 17:31   #20
cjmUK
Old git.

cjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run Crysis
We're so used to stories of big publishers chasing every dime and screwing customers, employees and competitors when the whim takes them.... but I'm with Bethesda on this one.

They bought the brand, so they choose its direction. They aren't going to be against Interplay making more money (though I don't think there will be much) out of the older games - providing a) it doesn't complicate Bethesda's FO3 program and b) they get a suitable (small) slice of this (small) pie.

I don't blame interplay for wanting to cash in on the success of Bethesda's FO3, but rules is rules and they seem to have broke them.