bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st Sep 2009, 12:30   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Scribd sued for copyright infringement

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...infringement/1

The law firm who represented file sharer Jammie Thomas-Rasset is now on the other side of the courtroom, accusing sharing site Scribd of infringement.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Sep 2009, 18:09   #2
1ad7
Supermodder

1ad7 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think this is a BAD idea. This could set a precedent for websites being completely legaly responsible for their users actions on the site. Not only for copyright infringement but maybe there words or planning illegal activities via PM on a forum etc...
1ad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Sep 2009, 18:25   #3
quack
\o/

quack has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Scribd is protected by the safe harbor provisions in the DMCA. The people uploading copyrighted documents are the ones who are liable not the site itself.

*sigh*
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 11:18   #4
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
True. Surely any lawsuit against them would have to show that they developed the site with the express purpose of sharing copyrighted materials? Rather than, as is more likely the case, developing the site to allow users to share non-copyrighted materials and the website being subverted.

Frivolous lawsuit, IMHO.
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 17:25   #5
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quack
Scribd is protected by the safe harbor provisions in the DMCA. The people uploading copyrighted documents are the ones who are liable not the site itself.
That's a fairly sweeping statement. It is true that s512(c) DCMA protects service providers against liability for damages for copyright infringement arising "by reason of the storage at the direction of a user of material that resides on a system or network controlled or operated by or for the service provider", but this safe harbour is conditional. First, the service provider must not have actual knowledge that the material or an activity using the material on the system or network is infringing; second, in the absence of such actual knowledge, the service provider must not be aware of facts or circumstances from which infringing activity is apparent; thirdly, upon obtaining such knowledge or awareness or notification of infringement, the service provider has to act expeditiously to remove, or disable access to, the material, in order to avoid liability.

Even then, if the service provider receives "a financial benefit directly attributable to the infringing activity, in a case in which the service provider has the right and ability to control such activity", he's liable.

I don't use Scribd, so am not sure exactly how it works, but presumably it takes a cut from paid works, and uses ad revenue elsewhere? I'm confident there is at least a reasonable case against them.