bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 22nd Sep 2009, 10:22   #1
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
AMD announces Thuban six-core CPUs

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ix-core-cpus/1

AMD has announced the desktop equivalent to its recently released six-core Opteron server processors, due next year and dubbed Thuban.

Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 10:30   #2
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
i'd rather have a quad at a higher clock speed at the moment, more cores aren't really needed
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 10:34   #3
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Unless you use a lot of multi-threaded applications - for regular users or gamers you're right, they're not specifically needed. I hope game devs pull their fingers out and start utilising more than two & a half threads - then our multi-cored CPUs will be worth it.

Hmmm... multi-threaded.
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 11:10   #4
Evildead666
Supermodder

Evildead666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
At least Socket AM2+ and AM3 are cheaper than LGA1366.....
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 11:12   #5
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildead666
Quite. Unless AMD prices these astronomically high, for those running AM2+ in particular this could be a worthy upgrade without breaking the bank on a platform shift.
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 11:16   #6
Dave Lister
Hypermodder

Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Think i'll wait for a few reviews before deciding if either are worth upgrading to.
Main Rig:Case: BitFenix Prodigy, Motherboard: MSI Z97I Gaming, CPU: Intel i7 4790K, RAM: 16Gb 2400Mhz Kingston HyperX Beast GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming, Primary HDD: 256Gb Samsung 850 Pro, Games Drive: 1Tb Toshiba SSHD, Cooler: Corsair H105, OS: Win 7 - 64
HTPC:Case: Gutted out VCR, Motherboard: Asus AT5IONT-I, CPU: Intel Atom D525 @ 1.94Ghz, RAM: 4Gb 1333Mhz Kingston GPU: Nvidia Ion 2, Primary HDD: Hitachi 500Gb, Optical Drive: NEC ND-6500A Laptop Drive, OS: Win 8.1 32
Dave Lister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 11:17   #7
Rkiver
Cybernetic Spine

Rkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks promising, especially for multithreaded applications, however the low clock speed doesn't speak well for mostly single threaded applications, or low-core (1-2) applications such as games.

As already mentioned, waiting on reviews.
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 11:54   #8
Hustler
Hypermodder

Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Well as it stands today, i've found that 3 cores is the sweet spot for performance.....

When i run my Phenom 550 as a 3 core the performance jump is significant over 2 cores, but the jump from 3 to 4 cores only results in a much smaller gain, even in games like GTAIV and ARMAII, which supposedly need 4 cores.....im lucky if i see 3-5fps extra...

Until they properly utilise 4 cores, 6 will only be impressive in highly multithreaded synthetic benchmarks....

Still, im sure 6 cores and more will one day be needed...
Hustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 18:26   #9
TSR2
Multimodder

TSR2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Is it single die or 2 3 core dies stuck together? It doesn't seem to have vast quantities of L2 though.
TSR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 18:41   #10
Combinho
Ten kinds of awesome

Combinho is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Combinho is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Combinho is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Combinho is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Combinho is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Combinho is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Combinho is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Combinho is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Combinho is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Combinho is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Combinho is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Four cores is plenty for me for the neard future. That said, it would be nice for AMD to be able to put some competition in for the i7 (the real 1366 ones) at some point.
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 19:09   #11
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I'm still slightly unclear on exactly what I can and can't plug into my existing motherboard. It's about three years old and is currently populated with an Athlon X2 6000+. I suspect this means AM2, and that what I have is about as good as I can go, but it's actually quite difficult to figure out what I can and can't do.
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 22:11   #12
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
what motherboard is it (model number)
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 23:07   #13
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
Phil, time for a new motherboard, they are cheap, dont be cheap yourself, 3 years is fine value out of a MB, let it go now.
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2009, 03:04   #14
xprodancer
life is like a box of chocolates

xprodancer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
would like bit-tech to do a review, when they can get there hands on one to see what it can do (O/C speeds, multitasking, gaming, video encoding......) so i shale wait like most people will do on this site to see if its worth the upgrade!

life is live a box of chocolates, theres always a S**T one in the box!
xprodancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2009, 10:46   #15
crazyceo
Banned

crazyceo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildead666
Yes but so is a KFC 12 piece bargain bucket but that doesn't make it better than LGA1366. I'm staggered at times with some posts on here.

This topic is really good news as the CPU manufacturers are still pushing their developemenst onto desktops. Since most OS being used today hardly even recognise Quad Core or fully utilise it. Six Core or more may not make a huge difference until the software takes into consideration the extra cores.

Isn't there something in Windows 7 about quad or higher cores being utilised better? I know the Server OS are getting to grips with it better now.
crazyceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2009, 12:01   #16
sandys
Mod Master

sandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Rhodes View Post
I'm still slightly unclear on exactly what I can and can't plug into my existing motherboard. It's about three years old and is currently populated with an Athlon X2 6000+. I suspect this means AM2, and that what I have is about as good as I can go, but it's actually quite difficult to figure out what I can and can't do.
If you have a 6000 in there, Its quite likely you can drop a Phenom in no bother thats what I did on my old board even though it said it was only compatible with upto 125w chips I dropped a 140w 9950 in and had no bother even though it didn't know what it was.

Every board is different though so best to look to the manufacturer or google you're board and see what people are running in there but even that doesn't necessarily help as my Asrock board has no support for quads CPU Support list let alone 140w varients, still I used it until I could get a replacement for my SLI board that had died.

Last edited by sandys; 23rd Sep 2009 at 12:10.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2009, 01:51   #17
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
It's a Foxconn C51XEM2AA, I discover.

If anyone ever looks in this thread again.
Old 24th Sep 2009, 02:37   #18
TheMusician
Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

TheMusician has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheMusician has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheMusician has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheMusician has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheMusician has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheMusician has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheMusician has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm glad my new build features an AM3 motherboard. The Phenom II X2 545 I have right now is decent, but only barely competitive with the lower-end Core2Duos. Why did I pick it? It's cheap, it's brand new, and it's all I need for now.

When the time is right, I'll probably upgrade to one of these monsters.
Old 24th Sep 2009, 09:32   #19
sandys
Mod Master

sandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Rhodes View Post
It's a Foxconn C51XEM2AA, I discover.

If anyone ever looks in this thread again.
Seem to recall most 590 boards based on the reference design wouldn't work, something to do with bios chip size.

can't see anyone saying that they've done it.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2009, 13:06   #20
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Mutter. What do I go to, then?

Intel Core series stuff seems expensive, but I use After Effects and Premiere a lot, and in contrast to games, they love multi cores.