bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 24th Sep 2009, 15:56   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Core i7 notebooks hit the market

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...t-the-market/1

Notebooks from Dell's Alienware brand and rival MSI using the new Clarksfield-based mobile i7 processors have finally been unveiled.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2009, 16:00   #2
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
i7 Centrino, where is it?
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2009, 16:12   #3
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
how does it compare with i5 750 desktop?

looks to be quicker because of HT..... damn, my new platfrom got outpased by a laptop.
Old 24th Sep 2009, 16:29   #4
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think the GPU's are the weak link here. Nvidia can call them what they like, but they're really just rehashed 8 series GPU's.
I'd rather wait until a real new high end mobile GPU comes along.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2009, 16:30   #5
l3v1ck

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Also, Display port is a poor output option. HDMI would be more useful.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
Old 24th Sep 2009, 16:37   #6
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3v1ck
I think the GPU's are the weak link here. Nvidia can call them what they like, but they're really just rehashed 8 series GPU's.
The mobile GPUs being used are DX10.1... the GTS 250M is a 40nm chip supporting DX10.1
Old 24th Sep 2009, 16:48   #7
M7ck
Ⓜod Ⓜaster

M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Kobalt has had an i7 notebook on sale for some time now. http://www.kobaltcomputers.co.uk/comanche_overview.php comes with the m280GTX GPU
Old 24th Sep 2009, 17:36   #8
hexx
Multimodder

hexx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
hmm i hope that apple will update mbpros too, the best would be in january
Old 24th Sep 2009, 18:07   #9
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
@VadimWolf, there is a desktop i7 and mobile i7. The Kobalt notebook uses a desktop Core i7, which also have a desktop CPU power usage. It's like if you would have slapped GTX295 in laptop body and then said "everyone else sucks, we have GTX295 in our laptop".
Old 24th Sep 2009, 18:50   #10
M7ck
Ⓜod Ⓜaster

M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
@VadimWolf, there is a desktop i7 and mobile i7. The Kobalt notebook uses a desktop Core i7, which also have a desktop CPU power usage. It's like if you would have slapped GTX295 in laptop body and then said "everyone else sucks, we have GTX295 in our laptop".
Ah I failed to read the thread correctly
Old 24th Sep 2009, 19:53   #11
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Fast, but no mention of battery life."

because there probably is none lol or the battery weighs more then the laptop itself lol.

Seriously in an everyday laptop no see no point, in those highend gaming/3d laptops where you are always plugged into a wall anyways, that makes sense and I also wonder how ridiculously loud it must be with the fans trying to keep that chip cool.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2009, 00:51   #12
ZERO <ibis>
Supermodder

ZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the DremelZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think that new NVIDIA mobile gpus come out in about a month so it will be interesting to see if that is for one true and second if they are going to be available for these new laptops. Without a minimum of a 260m it is really a pointless buy...
Old 25th Sep 2009, 10:59   #13
smc8788
potato

smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S View Post
The mobile GPUs being used are DX10.1... the GTS 250M is a 40nm chip supporting DX10.1
Wait, I thought nVidia weren't bothering with full DX10.1 support, only certain (unnamed) features? Something along the lines of 'it's not worth it' or 'we couldn't be bothered'.
smc8788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2009, 11:54   #14
l3v1ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3v1ck View Post
Although this is about a different laptop, the comments in this review are about the GPU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Custom PC issue 74 p63
Gaming performance is provided by a single GTX260M chip. In fine Nvidia tradition, and in total contrast to its name, this isn't a new part at all - it's actually an overclocked version of the G92 cor, otherwise known as the 9800M GTX. This GPU originally debuted in the GeForce 8800GT desktop card in 2007.
Are you saying the mobile 250 is newer and better than the rehashed 260? (serious question)
I can't really believe that.
Also, no Nvidia card officially supports DX10.1. Their current cards only take a few unspecified features of 10.1, that;s why they're listed as 10.0 cards.
Old 25th Sep 2009, 17:11   #15
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Interesting to have an I7 with DDR2 memory, the laptop versions must have more -or different- features to the desktop ones.
Old 25th Sep 2009, 18:19   #16
l3v1ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupboard View Post
Interesting to have an I7 with DDR2 memory, the laptop versions must have more -or different- features to the desktop ones.
I'd say "stupid" rather than "interesting". As DDR3 becomes more common than DDR2, the price of DDR2 will go up. Also I think I'm right in saying that DDR3 uses a lower voltage than DDR2. Surely on a laptop lower power consumption is important.
Old 29th Sep 2009, 11:40   #17
DaMightyMouse
Minimodder

DaMightyMouse has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
4Kg ... Laptops!? NO THNX
DaMightyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2009, 10:33   #18
Itbay
Banned

Itbay has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
awesome news!!

Really!!! I didn't know that it hits the market and really a good news.
Thanks
Itbay is offline   Reply With Quote