bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Sep 2009, 14:00   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Google brings Chrome to IE

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...chrome-to-ie/1

Google has launched a plugin for Internet Explorer - Chrome Frame - which allows IE to use the Chrome rendering engine, and Microsoft isn't happy.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2009, 14:15   #2
UncertainGod
Ultramodder

UncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's a very neat idea and microsoft's reaction is priceless.

PSN ID: Sp4rkR4t
UncertainGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2009, 14:15   #3
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
If you're at work it shouldn't be a problem using IE
. if you work in web dev/design then you should have whatever you want/need.
Old 25th Sep 2009, 14:17   #4
crazyceo
Banned

crazyceo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Google must have a feeling that they aren't going to be taking over the world with their own browser and their toolbar downloads must also be in the decline.

I am in complete agreement with Microsoft here as I am sick to death of going to third party downloads and being forever asked to download and install the "Come and make us some money and we will give you nothing!" Google Toolbar.

Download at your peril!
crazyceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2009, 14:18   #5
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Doesn't install without admin credentials anyway. What's the point? If you can install this, you can install the full Chrome. Seems incredibly pointless
Old 25th Sep 2009, 14:56   #6
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
pointless
Well exactly. I suspect that the crossover of people who know they should get something better than IE and have the privileges to do so, yet for some reason don't just want to use some other browser, is microscopically small.
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2009, 15:30   #7
matee
Multimodder

matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1ez
Doesn't install without admin credentials anyway. What's the point? If you can install this, you can install the full Chrome. Seems incredibly pointless
Bah just wanted to try it @ work since IE is whats i'm stuck with.
matee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2009, 16:12   #8
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I think it's quite smart, to be honest. Haven't tried it yet, but the idea of being able to use a single browser that seamlessly switches to use Chrome's rendering and JS engines for sites that are optimised for / require it, is very slick. Much as I like what Google has done with Chrome, it isn't yet usable as the only browser on a machine, because so many sites are "optimised" for IE and break or look goofy on other browsers (though the situation is improving, largely because developers can no longer afford to ignore other browsers now that IE doesn't have a 90% share!).

I guess the question marks relate to how tight the integration is - does it interact with IE's history (so visited links show up as visited etc.)? Does it interact with saved form information, bookmarks etc. properly? Is its security behaviour governed by Chrome's settings or IE's? Will it pick up and play nice with IE cookies? And so on.
Old 25th Sep 2009, 16:15   #9
Hugo
Ultramodder

Hugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Please can someone develop an IE Frame for Chrome? I'm stuck using Chrome on my work PC and I need IE to be able to use the myriad sites optimised for its superior-ness.
Old 25th Sep 2009, 16:28   #10
dyzophoria
Supermodder

dyzophoria has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
well I can see the use for people at work stuck with IE, but .. i dont know, If I want a chrome, I get a chrome, I want a firefox, I get a firefox, but I get a chrome in an another browser?, its like windows over DOS if you ask me..
Old 25th Sep 2009, 16:44   #11
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I just like that they made IE8 run 10x faster by adding to it. They prove how superior chrome is and get a golden reaction out of Microsoft, hilarious.

@crazyceo

News stories involving Google wouldn't be the same without you <3
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2009, 17:33   #12
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
The amount of people using will most likely be extremely limited outside of developers.
Old 25th Sep 2009, 17:35   #13
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
Google must have a feeling that they aren't going to be taking over the world with their own browser and their toolbar downloads must also be in the decline.

I am in complete agreement with Microsoft here as I am sick to death of going to third party downloads and being forever asked to download and install the "Come and make us some money and we will give you nothing!" Google Toolbar.

Download at your peril!
lol wut
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2009, 18:34   #14
Aterius Gmork
/r/pcmasterrace

Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentai
I just like that they made IE8 run 10x faster by adding to it. They prove how superior chrome is and get a golden reaction out of Microsoft, hilarious.
TBH this is the whole point I think - showing people how much faster/better the Chrome browser is. A PR gag.
Old 25th Sep 2009, 19:09   #15
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
"this [installing Google Chrome Frame] is not a risk we would recommend our friends and families take."
Talk about the pot and the EFFFin kettle!
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2009, 20:26   #16
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I dont use Chrome on any of my systems except for and in this case I think its ideally designed for is my ASUS netbook. Chrome is perfect for such systems as for my other systems ehh I stick with FF.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2009, 01:41   #17
xprodancer
life is like a box of chocolates

xprodancer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
well i have tryed both IE and google chrome! i must say there speed is the same on my system! i would like to try the add-on to IE if it speeds up then that will be my choice!!!

life is live a box of chocolates, theres always a S**T one in the box!
xprodancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2009, 18:36   #18
ciri28
What's a Dremel?

ciri28 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If a google chrome plugin helps educate the sheep that there are other browser choices, then great, but skepticism steps in and says it is just another revenue generating tool bar as already pointed out.

Last edited by ciri28; 26th Sep 2009 at 18:46.
ciri28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2009, 22:30   #19
crazyceo
Banned

crazyceo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentai

@crazyceo

News stories involving Google wouldn't be the same without you <3
Thanks Babe! I'm here to ruin the Google love'in some try to make. Especially the "Google is a really good company!" comments when some don't even know how Google make their money.

This topic highlights exactly what Google is trying to do and some are too stupid to realise it. If I'm wrong, please correct me.
crazyceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Sep 2009, 01:27   #20
SquattingDawg
Minimodder

SquattingDawg has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo View Post
Thanks Babe! I'm here to ruin the Google love'in some try to make. Especially the "Google is a really good company!" comments when some don't even know how Google make their money.

This topic highlights exactly what Google is trying to do and some are too stupid to realise it. If I'm wrong, please correct me.
So educate me on how Google makes their money. The only way I know of is through ads
SquattingDawg is offline   Reply With Quote