bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 26th Sep 2009, 11:40   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Games I Own: Dungeon Keeper, Theme Park, Theme Hospital

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2009/09...theme-park-th/

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2009, 14:59   #2
delriogw
Multimodder

delriogw has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
theme hospital is one of my all time favourite games, and i still pull it out from time to time for a play.

i think when that finally stops playing on windows, it will be a sad sorry day for me
delriogw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2009, 15:28   #3
MajorTom
Multimodder

MajorTom has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I recently tried to get Dungeon keeper 2 working on Windows 7. I failed. Ended up playing it on my XP laptop. Such a classic.

Now I'm searching high and low for my copy of Startopia. Like Theme Hospital on a 3D doughnut shaped space port. I love this one.
Old 26th Sep 2009, 16:04   #4
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
another game swallowed up by EA and tossed was westwoods NoX.. really liked that game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nox_%28video_game%29
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2009, 18:00   #5
roblikesbeer
Bindi's sex slave.

roblikesbeer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roblikesbeer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roblikesbeer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roblikesbeer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roblikesbeer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roblikesbeer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roblikesbeer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roblikesbeer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roblikesbeer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roblikesbeer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roblikesbeer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
DK2 is an awesome game - great dark sense of humour running through it!
Intel Core i5 3570K ¶ Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H ¶ 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3 ¶ 2GB Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC edition ¶ 256Gb Crucial M4 ¶ 2Tb Seagate ST2000DM001 ¶ Win 7 Home Premium 64bit ¶ Hiper Osiris case ¶ 1440x900 19" Monitor ¶ Xbox 360 Elite
roblikesbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2009, 22:54   #6
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Bullfrog were serioualy amazing.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2009, 23:07   #7
The Infamous Mr D
We like beans & cheesecake

The Infamous Mr D has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Theme Hospital and Dungeon Keeper 2 are fantastic. Like yourself, I've wasted many of my hours playing those games, but *never* completed either of them. I have a serious urge to go play Theme Hospital and actually complete it once and for all.

I bet there's some cosmic nirvana waiting for me.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2GHz, Asus P5E, Patriot Viper 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2, XFX Radeon HD5870 1GB
2x Maxtor DiamondMax 21 80GB in RAID 0, PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 PSU, all in a Coolermaster Cosmos PURE
The Infamous Mr D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Sep 2009, 00:05   #8
mute1
Multimodder

mute1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm much the same. I tried to play Black and White but didn't get too far into it. Black and White 2 was better for me because it was simpler and somehow just more enjoyable - not that I am arguing for games to be more 'accessible' as such. More time was spent with creature fighting, say, than looking after whiny villagers.
I thought I liked strategy games because I used to spend a lot of time on Civ II and Red Alert 2. Yet I played Red Alert and found it somewhat boring, and Supreme Commander... well, it seemed to me to be the Diablo of RTS (grindy).
It takes some humour and consistently enjoyable gameplay to keep me going. Or semi-naked leather-clad women. That will work too. (There must be something there as to why the Horny Reaper is so angry... frustration perhaps?) Not that I would be so pathetic as to lust after digital women... And besides, I'm keeping myself for Jade...
P.S. I do not mean Raymond.
mute1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Sep 2009, 08:41   #9
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Dungeon Keeper is one of my top three all time favouite games (along with C&C Red Alert and Doom 2). Completed it LOADS of times. Mostly down to the fact that (unlike DK2) fortified walls were indestructable. My game plan for every map was basically find the choke points in the map straight away, tunnel right to them and build an inpenetrable wall across the gap. Then, with unlimited time on my side (especially if there were gems around, i.e. unlimited money) I could spend hours constructing the perfect dungeon in preparation of a final battle that would usually only last minutes.

It was this element of sandboxing, of giving the player time to design the perfect dungeon is what I loved so much about it. Some maps were quick and manic true, but mostly you could play it at your own pace. DK2 lacked this (shame), so the pace felt far more dictated by the game and not you.

You're right about the atmosphere making the games what they were though. The DK universe was such a coherient one, and the ability to possess your creatures and travel around in the (surprisingly robust) first-person view made it all the more believable. In fact, I might go play it again now. You have conquered this realm!
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Sep 2009, 12:43   #10
Sim0n
rm -rf /

Sim0n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Gutted... just dug out my theme hospital CD, and i cant play it on 64bit Windows XP.

Any idea how to get it running again ?
Sim0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 01:02   #11
Yemerich
I can has PERSUADETRON?

Yemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
@Simon, have you ever tried Abandon Loader or dos box?

Anyway, DK2 is one of my all time favourites too. Syndicate and syndicate wars... Good old times... PRE FPSs. But much time before C&C there was a fantastic game. Westwood's DUNE 2. The game that started all RTS (at least i think was the first ever).

I still remember when spaceship games were a must. Back then, Joe was in diapers...
Hades (Best advanced casemod design CP-Brazil 2010)

Take a look on my projects here.
Yemerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 08:44   #12
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemerich View Post
I still remember when spaceship games were a must. Back then, Joe was in diapers...
Aahhh, and I really miss them.

Never finished any of the "theme" games nor DK... I do like strategygames and usually finish them but I never quite got into these (plus I didn't really see the "theme" games as strategy...more like a fun version of simcity
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 12:18   #13
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Wish I could get the Direct3D version of DK Gold running on newer OS's - i think the last OS that could run it was 2000, or even 98!

FYI your dungeon heart is being attacked.

@Simon: The installer for Theme Hospital is 16-Bit, so won't run in the 64-Bit OS. However, you can copy the files from the disk and enable compatibility. worked for me (though couldn't save for some reason)

DK is a 16-Bit launcher for the game, so no luck there

Last edited by Omnituens; 28th Sep 2009 at 14:10.
Omnituens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2009, 12:47   #14
Meridicus
What's a Dremel?

Meridicus has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@Omnituens

I'm running DK Gold Direct3D in Windows Vista 64 bit.

Create a Windows XP 32-bit Virtual Machine with Microsoft VirtualPC and run the game in there.

Both DK and Deeper Dungeons work like a charm.
Meridicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2009, 14:00   #15
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
That doesn't count :P

However, how did you get the D3D version to run in XP? Mine just says "not a valid Win32 application" and I have to run it in Software mode.
Old 29th Sep 2009, 18:24   #16
Meridicus
What's a Dremel?

Meridicus has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@Omnituens

There's a D3D patch floating around out there that wasn't part of the Gold CD. My work firewall is blocking the download sites so I can't link you, but a google search results in a few places to get it from.
Meridicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2009, 18:26   #17
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Hm, already tried all the ones I could find, but I'll give it a go.