bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Sep 2009, 10:25   #1
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What's the best 120mm case fan?

We've collected 22 120mm fans and put them through rigorous noise and airflow tests to see which is the best. Read on to see how to keep your hardware cool while keeping the noise your PC makes to a minimum.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...est-case-fan/1

Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 10:43   #2
500mph
The Right man in the Wrong place

500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Was not expecting this. Good article though, too bad I already bought my Fans.

Also,
Quote:
Fortunately, [bit-tech[/i] is here

Last edited by 500mph; 28th Sep 2009 at 10:58.
500mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 10:44   #3
The Infamous Mr D
We like beans & cheesecake

The Infamous Mr D has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is an extremely useful article, guys! I was in the market for some decent 120mm fans, are you actually capable of clairvoyance?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2GHz, Asus P5E, Patriot Viper 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2, XFX Radeon HD5870 1GB
2x Maxtor DiamondMax 21 80GB in RAID 0, PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 PSU, all in a Coolermaster Cosmos PURE
The Infamous Mr D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 10:45   #4
Kyocera
The Garden of Evil

Kyocera has yet to learn the way of the DremelKyocera has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have a reclamation, or two:
- the trash bag used is to small
- and it should be of another colour (yellow, pink,..)
- pizza box should have been used

I hope you'll expand with bigger size ventilators,..

Last edited by Kyocera; 28th Sep 2009 at 11:32.
Kyocera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 10:46   #5
billysielu
Multimodder

billysielu has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hard to believe there's such a big variation in products which are essentially identical.
billysielu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 10:50   #6
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billysielu
Hard to believe there's such a big variation in products which are essentially identical.
I was really surprised by this too, but when you think of the huge differences in F1 car performance caused by minor additions in aerodynamic design, you start to understand how a few extra mm of plastic or a a few degrees of fin pitch can make a big, big difference.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 11:07   #7
zr_ox
Whooolapoook

zr_ox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well my S-Flex are off to the bin.

Never did like their noise signature, they do cool wee though!

Thanks BT for a very informative and well put together article.
Old 28th Sep 2009, 11:11   #8
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr_ox View Post
Well my S-Flex are off to the bin.

Never did like their noise signature, they do cool wee though!
No wonder you're putting them in the bin. Eurgh!
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 11:23   #9
MajorTom
Multimodder

MajorTom has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thank you so much for this article. I'll be passing this around.
Old 28th Sep 2009, 11:37   #10
Rocket_Knight64
Multimodder

Rocket_Knight64 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I heard alot about the Gentle Typhoon. I replaced my NF-P12's with the AP-14's and they are indeed much quieter and push alot more air despite the higher RPM. They are not quite so nicely finished though (cable is unbraided and a bit short, and fiddly to mount), but for half the price I can live with it. Now all we need is a 140mm version.

Are there any plans for more fan reviews? Of perticular interest are the enermax apolloish and akasa apatche (which is apparently made by Scythe so should not be tripe).
Rocket_Knight64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 12:06   #11
Stickeh
Help me , Help you.

Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'm so glad when i built my system i bought sharkoon!

I put an akasa amber fan in the roof the other day and it was so noisy! My system is almost silent, and thats the way i like it!
Old 28th Sep 2009, 12:20   #12
hexx
Multimodder

hexx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
still, for me the best case fans are Nexus silent 120, got 5 of them in p182 at full speed and can't hear them, true i've got soundproofing in my case, but still after testing about 20+ different fans nexus came as a winner in my box.
Old 28th Sep 2009, 12:27   #13
shaffaaf27
The budget builder

shaffaaf27 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mph
Was not expecting this. Good article though, too bad I already bought my Fans.

Also,
Quote:
Fortunately, [bit-tech[/i] is here
LOL I predicted this since i paid for this article a couple months ago _
shaffaaf27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 12:35   #14
mrbens
Supermodder

mrbens has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is a good article taken from CustomPC. How come you didn't post the other fan sizes you tested in the mag?

It would have been nice to see a Yate Loon fan in there, especially for the watercooling testing as they are widely regarded to be the best for this job.

Also seeing all the stats together like this but with actual cfm & dBA instead of 7/10 etc would have been more informative (IMHO):

Anyway, great stuff as usual.
mrbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 12:41   #15
sear

Very good job with this article, and an interesting way of measuring "real world" airflow. I have a couple of Scythe fans myself, though not the ones in the test. I've had a liking for them for a while due to their effectiveness and low noise.
Old 28th Sep 2009, 12:46   #16
DbD
Supermodder

DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Great article, but can you do a bit more please? As the radiator test showed there's a big difference between using a fan to shove some air in/out of the case and using one to shove air between the grills of a heatsink.

Would have liked you to run all the fans through something like a thermalright ultra 120 with the sides taped, then into your bag to measure their effectiveness for an aircooled heatsink.

Would also have liked you to measure some of the slower S-flexes.

Any chance of a follow up?
DbD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 12:49   #17
Yoy0YO
Lurky Lurker

Yoy0YO has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thanks for the article! I was looking for something as well in the lines of a Slim Fan..
Old 28th Sep 2009, 12:50   #18
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
No Yate Loons? ;(
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 13:22   #19
WildThing
Hypermodder

WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
bit-tech is here with a well-timed group test of 120mm fans
Lol, how very apt that phrase is for me, since it was only a week ago I bought my first Custom PC mag just for the fan article! Still, I guess there are more fans tested in the mag.
Asus P8P67 PRO Intel i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz Titan Fenrir XFX 6950 @ 6970 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 2x Crucial C300 128GB (OS + Games) Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Auzentech XFI-Prelude + Creative T7700 7.1 Enermax Liberty 500W Corsair 650D case HP 24" LP2475W Win7 x64
WildThing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 13:25   #20
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
For those that have asked - we'll be putting the other fan size reviews up shortly as we didn't want to put a monster 20+ page article up covering all fans sizes in one go.
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote