bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Sep 2009, 14:16   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Inafune: Japanese games are dead

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...mes-are-dead/1

Keiji Inafune, Capcom's head of R&D, says the Japanese games industry is doomed.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 14:20   #2
GFC
Multimodder

GFC has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This Inafume guy likes western style games (blood, gore etc.), but the problem is - most Japanese people like other type of games (I don't think it's a secret to anyone which ones). Just because there might not be too many games from Japan that Inafune likes, it doesn't mean Japanese gaming industry is dead.
GFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 14:20   #3
tejas
Multimodder

tejas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well the Nintendo Wii and Nintendo first party games seem to being doing ok. Guess Japanese gaming is not totally dead.

Credit to Capcom for supporting the PC market now and in the future with their games like DMC4, RE5 and Street Fighter IV. They are a company I have a lot of respect for, in particular Keiji Inafune.
tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 14:39   #4
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Don't worry Inafume-san, I'll be there as soon as possible to revive things!!
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 14:40   #5
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
the whole market is going stagnante, let alone japans
Gunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 14:43   #6
ChaosDefinesOrder
Vapourmodder

ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.
very much looking forward to the next Devil May Cry game personally...
ChaosDefinesOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 14:46   #7
Horizon
Dremel Worthy

Horizon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I want a new Megaman, and none of the battle network crap. Give me the Original, or X and I swear I'll buy every capcom game that come out for the rest of that year.
Old 28th Sep 2009, 14:50   #8
DragunovHUN
Go ahead, spell my name wrong.

DragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming Saiyan
RapeLay not selling well?

gog.com - Classic videogames, Windows 7 compatible, no DRM, bundled extras, outstanding service. Check it out, get hooked, spread the word!
DragunovHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 14:57   #9
Yemerich
I can has PERSUADETRON?

Yemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
He's right!
I personally hate the japanese logic they put on mangas and games... 300 characters to a spit depth plot just to make it look complicate. I am sorry manga lovers, but they are all full of "manga-like" cliches. The last manga that was really cool was AKIRA. Back in the early 90's
Hades (Best advanced casemod design CP-Brazil 2010)

Take a look on my projects here.
Yemerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 14:59   #10
UrbanMarine
Government Prostitute

UrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the DremelUrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The masses are not looking for thinker or challenging games. If it doesn't have a "easy" button some people won't touch it. Not enough action people thumb their noses to it.

Generalized IMO examples
-WoW- Started out complex, now it's simple
-FO series- Started out complex, now it's simple
-FPSs- Auto heal vs med packs. (Semi)Realistic damage vs "Arcade" damage. Cookie cutter designs (Lets all use the U3 engine and change nothing).
-Metal Gear series- Slowly went from hard to easy over time.
-Resident Evil 5- Puzzles removed, weak story, action shooter not survival horror.
List goes on

Is the Japanese industry dead? Japan (No), USA (Yes [RPGs, complex/thinkers]), UK (You tell me)

Last edited by UrbanMarine; 28th Sep 2009 at 15:12.
UrbanMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 15:41   #11
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Yemerich: Watch DeathNote.

And yeah anime and manga is pretty much mostly cliche, but so are American cartoons.

Pocoyo cheesecake!!
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 15:43   #12
Tokukachi
Multimodder

Tokukachi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Capcom, Steel Battalion 2 please! That is all.
Tokukachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 15:51   #13
Lepermessiah
Banned

Lepermessiah has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Japanese games are poor IMO, sorry, but I agree with him to some extent, there games are beyond stagnant and cliche.
Lepermessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2009, 16:32   #14
pizan
that's n00b-tastic

pizan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragunovHUN
RapeLay not selling well?
It is, but that could be the problem...lol
Old 28th Sep 2009, 23:56   #15
TWeaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon
I want a new Megaman, and none of the battle network crap. Give me the Original, or X and I swear I'll buy every capcom game that come out for the rest of that year.
+1.... million!!!!

Would be nice if it was on the PC also. Never owned any sort of Greystation so I missed out on some of the later X games. I wonder if they could pull off a Megaman RPG/FPS? Probably not given the failure of some of the other attempts at broadening the series.

Also, have you tried Megaman ZX on the DS? It's more RPG and a bit kiddy in places, but does bring back some of the great things from the series with side-scrolling goodness.
Old 29th Sep 2009, 00:19   #16
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
First party Nintendo titles are still doing well, but lets be honest, are nothing we would be interested in (wii fit, nintendogs).
There are still a select few games coming out of Japan such as the last guardian which I think look excellent but they're so rare I think he's fundamentally right. I wonder if globalisation is really the answer though.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2009, 00:20   #17
mute1
Multimodder

mute1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepermessiah View Post
Japanese games are poor IMO, sorry, but I agree with him to some extent, there games are beyond stagnant and cliche.
Yes, I think much the same.
mute1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2009, 01:36   #18
Kiytan
Shiny

Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
+1 for reading/watching deathnote, it's fantastic.

Also, what do you characterise as a japanese game? a game that was made by a japanese company? because if so i have to disagree with you, there are a lot of fantastic games by japanese companies.
Kiytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2009, 08:25   #19
Nature
Supermodder

Nature has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Best and worst Japanese games article Bit-tech !?? I'm typing @ you Mr. Joe Martin!
Old 29th Sep 2009, 11:33   #20
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiytan
+1 for reading/watching deathnote, it's fantastic.

Also, what do you characterise as a japanese game? a game that was made by a japanese company? because if so i have to disagree with you, there are a lot of fantastic games by japanese companies.
Deathnote turns into a convoluted mess much like most JRPG storylines by trying much too hard to be clever. Something similar I enjoyed a lot more was Code Geass. It's more action orientated, but I find a convoluted show goes down a lot easier if it isn't taking itself seriously.

On topic, name some games made by Japanese companies which you consider to be fantastic. The condition is it cant be first party Nintendo and it can't be JRPG unless it actually innovates on that decades old formula.

I admit the condition is slightly unfair, I would argue that all gaming is stagnating. If you take away Valve, Relic and Blizzard (my idea of PC's first party), everything is just a spiritual successor to a popular game. And I would rather play the latest Final Fantasy than (Bio)Shock game, as they at least don't regress in their depth.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote