bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th Sep 2009, 14:10   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
TV Update will brick 20,000 set-top boxes

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...to-be-retune/1

Up to 18 million homes will need to retune their set-top boxes and 20,000 may stop working today as the service is upgraded to allow future HD broadcasting.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2009, 14:25   #2
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I think my ex-housemate will die if his TV doesn't work anymore. Poor 40 year old guy with no technical knowledge whatsoever.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2009, 14:52   #3
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Diddums. Same thing happened about 12 months ago. Freeview update bricked some ancient Set-top boxes, owners went out and bought a replacement for £10.

This really is a bit of none-news actually, they periodically do this as the government shuffles around the frequencies to get the most out of the available bandwidth. They took out an advert on the inside front page of the Metro that outlined everything that was happening.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2009, 15:01   #4
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
It's only none-news to those who know about it. I for one didn't though.

Then again, I never watch TV.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2009, 15:04   #5
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
It's only none-news to those who know about it. I for one didn't though.

Then again, I never watch TV.
If you watched telly, you'd know. They've been spamming this on every single channel for what seems like weeks now. I've lost count of the number of times I've been informed how to update my set-top box. I'm guess I'm just very fed up of hearing about this! Lol.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2009, 15:18   #6
Dave Lister
Hypermodder

Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Think how pissed you'd be if you spent over a grand on a huge lcd with a built in tuner and it got bricked, i'm sure i'd be suicidal by tomorrow !
Main Rig:Case: BitFenix Prodigy, Motherboard: MSI Z97I Gaming, CPU: Intel i7 4790K, RAM: 16Gb 2400Mhz Kingston HyperX Beast GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming, Primary HDD: 256Gb Samsung 850 Pro, Games Drive: 1Tb Toshiba SSHD, Cooler: Corsair H105, OS: Win 7 - 64
HTPC:Case: Gutted out VCR, Motherboard: Asus AT5IONT-I, CPU: Intel Atom D525 @ 1.94Ghz, RAM: 4Gb 1333Mhz Kingston GPU: Nvidia Ion 2, Primary HDD: Hitachi 500Gb, Optical Drive: NEC ND-6500A Laptop Drive, OS: Win 8.1 32
Dave Lister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2009, 15:19   #7
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
TV is for people who don't know their way 'round the internet.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2009, 15:21   #8
Stormwulf
A mod to far?

Stormwulf has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by perplekks45
TV is for people who don't know their way 'round the internet.
+1
Stormwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2009, 15:35   #9
scrimple3D
Minimodder

scrimple3D has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
scrimple3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2009, 15:39   #10
Plastic_Manc
Multimodder

Plastic_Manc is definitely a rep cheat.Plastic_Manc is definitely a rep cheat.Plastic_Manc is definitely a rep cheat.Plastic_Manc is definitely a rep cheat.Plastic_Manc is definitely a rep cheat.Plastic_Manc is definitely a rep cheat.Plastic_Manc is definitely a rep cheat.Plastic_Manc is definitely a rep cheat.Plastic_Manc is definitely a rep cheat.Plastic_Manc is definitely a rep cheat.Plastic_Manc is definitely a rep cheat.
I watch a load of telly and missed this completely. Hopefully my old box in the bedroom (fanar) still works after this.
Old 30th Sep 2009, 15:47   #11
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Is it just me or does it seem daft to give channel 5 to 500k people but for another 500k loose 1-4 i know what batch of channels I'd rather have.
Old 30th Sep 2009, 16:38   #12
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't even watch TV - interesting and true fact & somewhat related, John Logie Baird is my great great great uncle. Didn't get a free TV though - actually that's a lie, I got one with my phone contract.

:P
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2009, 16:39   #13
ffjason
Multimodder

ffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysis
where does it say 500k will lose 1-4? I believe it states that upto 500k might lose ITV3 and ITV4. Not really a big loss. Though channel 5 isnt really a big gain either so fairs fair.
ffjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2009, 16:50   #14
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Actually your right i miss read tfa. Still rather have the football on ITV3/4 than the crap on 5.
Old 30th Sep 2009, 17:42   #15
thEcat
Multimodder

thEcat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Update went quite smoothly, well, once I'd flashed an update to the box. No biggie, I picked up a whole new user interface complete with series record while I was at the support site.

This little Topfield 5800 is one of the best things I've ever bought, coming up for 4 years old, still supported, modded with a 1TB HD. I'm not a great T.V. watcher but for movies and sci-fi it's a must, I can't remember the last time I sat through a commercial break
thEcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2009, 18:28   #16
Matticus

Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.
My box updates automatically, it was almost unwatchable earlier, as it constantly updated the channel list every few minutes. Done now and its all fine and dandy, just watching "Quest", how stuff works is about to start. Its not quite as good as how its made, but its a good start.
Old 30th Sep 2009, 18:39   #17
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Bricked mine...

But like they said. £10. Which may be more than current TV is worth.
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2009, 18:53   #18
Armand-[79th]
Vintage modder

Armand-[79th] has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
/me got Sky.. care? :P
Armand-[79th] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2009, 20:33   #19
mikeuk2004
What you Looking at Fool!

mikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It doesnt brick your frieeview box.

It feels like that you have used that headline to scare people. Your making out that they have changed the frequency and you boxes might die. They dont, you just can pick up the ITV channels or Channel 5.

The freeview box works perfectly fine, it just becomes useless, not bricked.
Old 30th Sep 2009, 20:55   #20
thEcat
Multimodder

thEcat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand-[79th] View Post
/me got Sky.. care? :P

Sorry can't resist...

Quote:
Of course, if you get your TV and radio channels from Sky or Virgin Media, you can just sit back and relax. You'll already be paying a hefty price for the TV everyone else gets for free, so it would be rude to ask you to pay more.
http://www.walletpop.co.uk/2009/09/2...day-cost-you/6

:P
thEcat is offline   Reply With Quote