bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 6th Oct 2009, 09:18   #1
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Review

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/sto...3-1tb-review/1

With a spindle speed of 7,200RPM, two 500GB platters and 32MB of cache, the Spinpoint F3 is the latest performance hard disk drive from Samsung, replacing the much loved Spinpoint F1. You guys demanded the review, so finally, here it is!

Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2009, 09:23   #2
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Jings, glad i held off on the F1.
Old 6th Oct 2009, 09:23   #3
Radical_Monkey
Dremel > Lightsabre

Radical_Monkey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
the “EcoGreen” F2, managed to hit the value sweet spot but left a lot to be desired when it came to performance because of its 500GB spindle speed
you mean 5400rpm spindle speed?
Radical_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2009, 09:24   #4
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Samsung cheesecake!

I can't recommend Samsung drives enough, I've got 6 drives and not one has failed.
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2009, 09:29   #5
Radical_Monkey
Dremel > Lightsabre

Radical_Monkey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pepsi
Samsung cheesecake!

I can't recommend Samsung drives enough, I've got 6 drives and not one has failed.
I concur, Ive got 3 Samsung F1 drives and they've all been humming away nicely for years. Also as a side note, personally I like the "WHOOOOOP" start up noise, sounds very sci fi
Radical_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2009, 09:31   #6
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Glad to finally see this review and truth to tell, I'm not surprised at all by the details. Samsung have got a tried and tested formula for great HDDs. A little noise in my main gaming machine is acceptable with regards to the speed and the F2 is the perfect match for any Media PC.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2009, 09:33   #7
marlowdrummer
Multimodder

marlowdrummer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.marlowdrummer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.marlowdrummer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.marlowdrummer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.marlowdrummer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.marlowdrummer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.marlowdrummer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.marlowdrummer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.marlowdrummer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.marlowdrummer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.marlowdrummer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Picked a couple of these up last week. Stunning drives for the money.

Quiet and damn fast, kicks the bejeezus out of every drive in my box.
niiiiiiiiiiice
marlowdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2009, 09:35   #8
Jenny_Y8S

Ooooooo if and when they do an equally zippy 2TB version it could be time to upgrade some the 7 1TB F1s I have in my rig
Old 6th Oct 2009, 09:37   #9
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

Interesting.
In sequential tests it is the best of the pack, but not in random tests.
Old 6th Oct 2009, 09:40   #10
matee
Multimodder

matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.
Just yesterday I was wandering what is this F3 drive and since it looked like a new drive, why there was no review.

THANKS!!
matee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2009, 09:46   #11
mrb_no1
Pie Eater

mrb_no1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i am impressed with that, i might even try it to see if its better than my 150g raptor, but i wont change out my other 5 drives for it, for a start its only 1tb, i want bigger and most importantly, whilst seagate drives have failed over the years, my pc is running constantly for the most part so i dont see that to be a problem as the mighty samsungs would surely fail too.

still a very well done to samsung
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3600Mhz ¦ Asus Maximus II Formula ¦ ATI Radeon 4890 (1000Mhz Core + 1200Mhz Mem OC) ¦ 2x2G Corsair Dom. PC 8500 @ 1080Mhz ¦ Aquacomputer WC ¦ Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty ¦ 150G Raptor, 2x1500 + 1x750 + 2x500 Seagate (SATA2) ¦ Pioneer DVD burner ¦ Lian Li - PC 73SL Aluminium Silent Server Case ¦ Dell 2007WFP 20" Widescreen ¦ Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers ¦ Sennheiser HD270
mrb_no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2009, 10:02   #12
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
We've been talking in the office and are wondering if Samsung has some software that's similar to Seagate where you can limit the amount of drive space so the head only reads the outside of the drive. Say, 200GB of space but 4ms response?
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2009, 10:02   #13
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pepsi
Samsung cheesecake!

I concur, Ive got 3 Samsung F1 drives and they've all been humming away nicely for years. Also as a side note, personally I like the "WHOOOOOP" start up noise, sounds very sci fi
Thought I was weird, glad someone else feels the same way!
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2009, 10:04   #14
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb_no1
i am impressed with that, i might even try it to see if its better than my 150g raptor, but i wont change out my other 5 drives for it, for a start its only 1tb, i want bigger and most importantly, whilst seagate drives have failed over the years, my pc is running constantly for the most part so i dont see that to be a problem as the mighty samsungs would surely fail too.

still a very well done to samsung
I really don't understand you on this comment... Seagate drives have failed on you in the past and you take that to mean that Samsung drives will too... Why?
My PC is always on and only gets a restart (never shut down) once every week or two and my Samsung drive is still ticking away after 2 years. Now I understand that there will always be some point of failure, but why think Samsung drives will fail just because you know of another company's drives that have?

You also raise another issue though that I forget to mention... is there any word on the grapevine of either F3 or F2 2TB Drives from Samsung?
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2009, 10:10   #15
logan'srun
following the footsteps of giants

logan'srun has yet to learn the way of the Dremellogan'srun has yet to learn the way of the Dremellogan'srun has yet to learn the way of the Dremellogan'srun has yet to learn the way of the Dremellogan'srun has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wow, nice review and nice drives!!! I picked up the F1 4 months ago, so I don't see any reason to to get this drive right now, but it is deffo on my Christmas list!!!
logan'srun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2009, 10:14   #16
andrew8200m
All of the hilarious

andrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyan
4 of these in raid0 will "should" give some epic results for reads and writes. Any chnce of seeing what 2 of these perform like in raid against a 30gb vertex? similar total price.. obviously 30gb vs 2000gb but it should make for an interesting read all be it short.

Andy
andrew8200m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2009, 10:23   #17
cosmic
Supermodder

cosmic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great review, thanks for getting it out so quickly after the F2 review
cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2009, 10:37   #18
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew8200m
4 of these in raid0 will "should" give some epic results for reads and writes. Any chnce of seeing what 2 of these perform like in raid against a 30gb vertex? similar total price.. obviously 30gb vs 2000gb but it should make for an interesting read all be it short.

Andy
We've found that real world testing (boot times, game loads) is pretty much anaffected by RAID0. Sequential speeds do benefit greatly though, so chances are it'd close the gap nicely, but the SSD would still be quicker in real world applications.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2009, 10:50   #19
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
4x F1's in my readynas been going for 1 year uptime now Think i'll go for 4x 2tb drives with room to grow in my next storage device!
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2009, 10:51   #20
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
We've been talking in the office and are wondering if Samsung has some software that's similar to Seagate where you can limit the amount of drive space so the head only reads the outside of the drive. Say, 200GB of space but 4ms response?
Very amusing name but isn't that called Short Stroking? HURH HURH.
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote