bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Oct 2009, 11:20   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nvidia launches new budget graphics cards - do you care?

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2009/10...dget-graphics/

After years (well, one at least) of Nvidia saying that it doesn't see the need in DirectX 10.1 because developers aren't demanding it and it has some DX10.1 features in its GT200 design anyway, it's finally made a DX10.1 GPU. However, it isn't a huge high-performance part to rival the HD 5870. It's a low-end part...

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2009, 11:36   #2
doggeh
Multimodder

doggeh has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldoggeh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Those fans look like they'd be noisy so probs not even good for a media centre
My media centre is rather overpowered graphically with my 7800GTX from the time before my shiny GTX260 but I won't be swapping it out for one of these any time soon
Fully Custom Fibreglass Chassis
doggeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2009, 13:31   #3
Comet
Minimodder

Comet has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh boy. This companies need to learn that this hurts the market instead of helping.
Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2009, 13:47   #4
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
i am tbh (if i didnt already have a few low power aTI cards)

would be great to power a multiple monitor workstation, however, to market them at gamers is incredibly irresponsible and tbh very close to libelous
Old 16th Oct 2009, 13:49   #5
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
on second thoughts what is the perormance of cuda on these things are they say capable of running physx on batman for example
Old 16th Oct 2009, 13:51   #6
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Nvidia launches new budget graphics cards - do you care?
No, and neither should you.
Old 16th Oct 2009, 14:39   #7
Vimesey
Multimodder

Vimesey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I sometimes do pc builds for people who's pc might be stressed the most when playing sims 2, so budgt cards are always good for those sort of pc builds.
Vimesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2009, 14:45   #8
Aterius Gmork
/r/pcmasterrace

Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'd care if they were passive tbh... they'd be great for the internet rig which only has to be up to UT2004 on medium. Noisy fan = FAIL.

EDIT: Colorful makes a passive G210. Ordered one right now, power consumption seems to be awesome.

Last edited by Aterius Gmork; 16th Oct 2009 at 14:51.
Aterius Gmork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2009, 15:52   #9
Ending Credits
Bunned

Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I was listening to someone who was claiming their GT100 was a gamer card; I honestly wanted to kill myself.
Ending Credits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2009, 15:54   #10
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I might care. I'm building my dad a new PC next year and it will need a budget (ie non gaming GPU). As long as it can happily decode video etc and it as the right price I may buy it.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2009, 17:22   #11
Dave Lister
Hypermodder

Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyb
on second thoughts what is the perormance of cuda on these things are they say capable of running physx on batman for example
Damned good question, at around £50 i'd get one to take the physx load of my gtx 280.
Main Rig:Case: BitFenix Prodigy, Motherboard: MSI Z97I Gaming, CPU: Intel i7 4790K, RAM: 16Gb 2400Mhz Kingston HyperX Beast GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming, Primary HDD: 256Gb Samsung 850 Pro, Games Drive: 1Tb Toshiba SSHD, Cooler: Corsair H105, OS: Win 7 - 64
HTPC:Case: Gutted out VCR, Motherboard: Asus AT5IONT-I, CPU: Intel Atom D525 @ 1.94Ghz, RAM: 4Gb 1333Mhz Kingston GPU: Nvidia Ion 2, Primary HDD: Hitachi 500Gb, Optical Drive: NEC ND-6500A Laptop Drive, OS: Win 8.1 32
Dave Lister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2009, 18:16   #12
Horizon
Dremel Worthy

Horizon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
They're pointless really since there are 9-series parts for the same money that just mop the floor with the new g/gt parts.
Old 16th Oct 2009, 22:36   #13
nicae
Multimodder

nicae has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
The question is, do you care?
[ ] - Yes!
[ ]
[ ] - Kinda
[ ]
[ ] - No!

x
C2D E8400 :: PNY 8800GT 512MB :: 2x2GB G.SKILL Pi Black DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 :: Asus Maximus Formula :: WindowsXP SP3 :: 2x320GB HDDs RAID0 :: Zalman CNPS9500 LED :: OCZ Freeze :: SevenTeam ST-550PAG 550W
nicae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2009, 23:14   #14
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
i don't think they'd actually speed up PhysX, rather make the more powerful GPU wait for it to calculate PhysX.

benchmarks have shown anything below 9600GT will slow down the main graphics when it's dedicated to PhysX.

i would care if i can make it as a hybrid display adaptor, and able to turn off main card. but with ATI 5870's 27w idle.......
Old 16th Oct 2009, 23:51   #15
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
that's a good point wu..

I'm glad someone has brought up the "Packed with 48 cores..." syndrome.. a new system builder might fall for this and look at gaming like it's camel balls
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Oct 2009, 06:34   #16
Abdul Hadi
Technically, I wanna be tim!

Abdul Hadi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Generally speaking: Well someone has to care for entry level customers. Besides they have a pocket of the size of their brains. So I guess it fits.

Technically speaking: the product is a flaw and a comes with a falsified claim.
Old 17th Oct 2009, 09:00   #17
gurusan
What's a Dremel?

gurusan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think they are fail cards personally, they don't really fit anywhere in the market unless they were a good bit cheaper.
gurusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Oct 2009, 22:57   #18
alpaca
llama eats dremel

alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
the right one is kinda cute
Old 18th Oct 2009, 09:24   #19
quake1-rules
Minimodder

quake1-rules has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sell your nvidia stock now.
quake1-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2009, 09:25   #20
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu
i don't think they'd actually speed up PhysX, rather make the more powerful GPU wait for it to calculate PhysX.

benchmarks have shown anything below 9600GT will slow down the main graphics when it's dedicated to PhysX.

i would care if i can make it as a hybrid display adaptor, and able to turn off main card. but with ATI 5870's 27w idle.......
I thought it was anything below a 8600GT?
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote