bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Oct 2009, 11:34   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
"Free Facebook games make $20 per user"

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...-20-per-user/1

Freemium games on Facebook are making around $20 per user, say analysts.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2009, 11:52   #2
DeathAwaitsU
I'm Back :D

DeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Users who spend over $1,000 on a facebook game period (nevermind per month) have no lives!
Old 16th Oct 2009, 11:54   #3
Dave Lister
Hypermodder

Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Sick of getting invites to play bloody farmville, it looks crap.
Main Rig:Case: BitFenix Prodigy, Motherboard: MSI Z97I Gaming, CPU: Intel i7 4790K, RAM: 16Gb 2400Mhz Kingston HyperX Beast GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming, Primary HDD: 256Gb Samsung 850 Pro, Games Drive: 1Tb Toshiba SSHD, Cooler: Corsair H105, OS: Win 7 - 64
HTPC:Case: Gutted out VCR, Motherboard: Asus AT5IONT-I, CPU: Intel Atom D525 @ 1.94Ghz, RAM: 4Gb 1333Mhz Kingston GPU: Nvidia Ion 2, Primary HDD: Hitachi 500Gb, Optical Drive: NEC ND-6500A Laptop Drive, OS: Win 8.1 32
Dave Lister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2009, 12:01   #4
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
Strangely this has a lot of similarities with an article I read today on Kotaku.com about D&D Online.

To paraphrase, since the Dungeons & Dragons MMO started offering a free to play option (bolstered by micro-transactions) they've noticed a significant percentage of players spending more per month than they would of had they just paid the full subscription fee.

I think it says a lot about the way we perceive money in general. Siphon it away from us and we're generally none the wiser, try to take it in one lump sum and instantly our better judgement starts to consider things like value (is that a fair price?) and desire (do I really want this?).

Reminds me a lot of the way we think nothing of the change in our pocket. Start putting it in a jar on the nightstand every day and suddenly you have 50 in coins.
Old 16th Oct 2009, 12:14   #5
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
anyone who is spending 1000 a month on a game needs help. does no one else think its a bit exploitative to continue taking their money?
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2009, 13:08   #6
kylew
Multimodder

kylew has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by crompers
anyone who is spending 1000 a month on a game needs help. does no one else think its a bit exploitative to continue taking their money?
$1000

It's still ridiculous though.
kylew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2009, 13:43   #7
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
what about the bloke investing ~ 100,000 into eve
Old 16th Oct 2009, 13:55   #8
SteveU
Multimodder

SteveU has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathAwaitsU
Users who spend over $1,000 on a facebook game period (nevermind per month) have no lives!
Or have money to burn!
SteveU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2009, 14:20   #9
Musicboffin
Multimodder

Musicboffin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
To the average guy, $1000/month is a lot. To the high roller, $1000/month represents possibly less than 1% of their income and is pocket change. It's all relative. Don't hate the rich guy supporting the stuff you use/play.
Musicboffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2009, 14:53   #10
mHod
What's a Dremel?

mHod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lister
two options for you:

1. Select Hide Farmville when you next see anything in your feed about it, you'll never see it again.
2. Use facebook lite at lite.facebook.com - no 3rd part apps at all.

As the famous meerkat may say - "simples"....
mHod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2009, 16:57   #11
Dave Lister
Hypermodder

Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mHod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lister
two options for you:

1. Select Hide Farmville when you next see anything in your feed about it, you'll never see it again.
2. Use facebook lite at lite.facebook.com - no 3rd part apps at all.

As the famous meerkat may say - "simples"....
Will try both those suggestions ! thanks mHod
Main Rig:Case: BitFenix Prodigy, Motherboard: MSI Z97I Gaming, CPU: Intel i7 4790K, RAM: 16Gb 2400Mhz Kingston HyperX Beast GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming, Primary HDD: 256Gb Samsung 850 Pro, Games Drive: 1Tb Toshiba SSHD, Cooler: Corsair H105, OS: Win 7 - 64
HTPC:Case: Gutted out VCR, Motherboard: Asus AT5IONT-I, CPU: Intel Atom D525 @ 1.94Ghz, RAM: 4Gb 1333Mhz Kingston GPU: Nvidia Ion 2, Primary HDD: Hitachi 500Gb, Optical Drive: NEC ND-6500A Laptop Drive, OS: Win 8.1 32
Dave Lister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Oct 2009, 17:28   #12
HandMadeAndroid
That's handy.

HandMadeAndroid has yet to learn the way of the DremelHandMadeAndroid has yet to learn the way of the DremelHandMadeAndroid has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by crompers View Post

Thats about my average pay per 3d build on second life, help me, help me! Tier (server tax) for second life can run into multiple thousands a month.
i7 3770k, Asus P8Z77-I , 16gb Patriot 1866 ddr3,EVGA 670FTW, Bitfenix Prodigy,crucial M4 128ssd,western digital black 2tb storage, wacom intuos/ i7 sandy bridge kobalt 17" laptop,120ssd, 8gb crucial ram, 500gb7200 WD storage drive, nvidia 555m 3gb/64gb iPad 2
HandMadeAndroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2009, 15:18   #13
FIBRE+
I *am* a Dremel

FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicboffin View Post
To the average guy, $1000/month is a lot. To the high roller, $1000/month represents possibly less than 1% of their income and is pocket change. It's all relative. Don't hate the rich guy supporting the stuff you use/play.
Some may be "high rollers" some may be your average gamer turned addict trying to fuel there addiction with stolen credit cards and PayPal accounts. Which is exactly what happend to my brothers PayPal account, some guy hijacked it to pay for various MMORPG's subscriptions and microtransactions.

If you were that rich why would you waste your time\money on games like that
FIBRE+ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2009, 02:13   #14
BurningFeetMan
Multimodder

BurningFeetMan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's important to remember, that once you sign up to these sorts of applications on facebook, they know absolutely everything about you.

I'll stick to buying games off of Steam, thanks.

In the mean time, I might double check that I have ZERO applications that have access to my facebook account.
BurningFeetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2009, 07:27   #15
Fozzy
Ultramodder

Fozzy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
meh I probably dropped $300 on platinum playing Everquest 2 over about 8 months. It gets really addicting having the best. I switched to wow and I'm happy to say I only spend 15 a month on the subscription. Oh and I guess I bought a couple of items on Ebay for D2 back in the day because I couldn't find them in game hahaha.

Anyways, when you have extra money lying around and you start spending it on games you gotta take a break. I sure did.
Fozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2009, 19:49   #16
IccleD
Modder

IccleD has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Cafe World, Mafia Wars, Vampires, Street Racing & Farmville = Zynga, Inc
Normally ripping off other peoples games like;

Cafe World = Resturant City - Playfish
Mafia Wars = Mob Wars (read the info here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mob_Wars))
Farmville = Farm Town - SlashKey.com

Zynga, Inc are making a killing by copying other peoples ideas, and improving on them.
IccleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2009, 20:35   #17
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
I've given 1000$ dollar chips as tips, and more than once a month.
It is all relative, 1000$ is next to nothing in Vegas, Monaco or Baden Baden.
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2009, 23:43   #18
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I can believe that.. my cousins are all playing mafia wars.. played it with them to level 50, it's too dull, like pimp wars actually.. but pimp wars had a strategy on being the best car thief, whore bomber ect.. problem with all the facebook games

whats nice for them is most of the facebook crowd have never played these games.. so to them inviting 100 people they don't know as friends to play a game is ok.. IccleD is dead on with zynga, they steal and make it better

with that kind of money on the line, living like huang back in 2007
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2009, 01:04   #19
Skutbag
Supermodder

Skutbag has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I agree: one game concept we've all become accustomed to has been introduced to the masses: GRIND

If Zynga can churn these glorified spreadsheets out, and take money for it, then fine; I wish I'd thought that up first.

The quicker people get introduced to pure, unabasherd GRIND the quicker they'll be at the door asking for a more substantial experience. It wouldn't take a massively creative team to introduce some slightly deeper elements to any of these games, and I desperately hope that their player base starts asking for a richer experience. But maybe they just want to get to level X (when X = +1 over whatever my friends level is/are)
I'll take this opportunity to list some great games that may have missed your attention: Alpha Centauri, Max Payne 2, XCOM 1, Supreme Commander, a Rogue-alike of some description, Open Transport Tycoon, Psychonauts, Beyond Good and Evil, Homeworld 2. At least Google one- It'll be worth it.
Skutbag is offline   Reply With Quote