1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google to launch e-book store

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Oct 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Here comes trouble!

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Google's already getting sued in Europe for breaking copyright. Apparently they made a deal with North America's publishers but "forgot" the European publishers. They then scanned a hell of a lot of books which are under European copyright w/o paying off the publishers.

Fun, fun.

4. TWeaK

TWeaK Guest

Even though I love computers and think the internet is the best source of information going, I still prefer reading something in hard copy. I think it's to do with the frequency and flickering effect monitors give, so perhaps when very high frequency monitors become more common (something like true 600Hz, not the sub-field drive 'upscaling' ones mind) it might not be an issue.

I think Google will stand a good chance of getting into this market successfully, but to be honest they stand a good chance of getting into any market. Either way, this isn't something I'm particularly interested in right now

5. Ploo

Ploo What's a Dremel?

... soon we'll buy our groceries from food.google.com

6. Perforated

Perforated What's a Dremel?

TWeaK - I've only limited experience of electrophoretic e-paper - a look at a couple of ereaders in Waterstones and ownership of a Motorola F3 as an emergency back-up phone - I find they're actually pretty easy to read. The technology is such that there's no such thing as flicker. I don't think the eBook idea is really aimed at being read on monitors.

I'm almost tempted to jump on this whole bandwagon, but prices will have to drop a little first. I appreciate the freely available books and the smaller mass compared to a hardcopy paperback, but £200-ish negates that saving for a LONG time!

Also, flicking back through a hundred pages in a few seconds to remind myself of some obscure-yet-crucial detail gets a bit harder on an eBook. That's a pretty big deal with my short-term memory deficiencies!

Incidentally, is there a text string search included on any/most/all of these machines?

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

ePaper is nice enough, sure. But, for me at least, it will never replace REAL paper.

8. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I'd like to hear Amazon's response to this.

9. bridgesentry

bridgesentry 3verything must bee wat3rcooled

I think this is a chance for VERY RARE BOOKS to become available online. For example: "Arch of Triumph" anyone?:D

10. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

So how many of these ebooks are going to be pirated? It's not like books haven't been copied in the past, but won't the increase in digital adaptation make it easier for books to be copied?

11. bridgesentry

bridgesentry 3verything must bee wat3rcooled

Yes! I have no way other than agreeing! Even I would never be able to read it on screen. I really wish my favorite book will never be pirated:D

12. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Agreed, however when it comes to Computer books, i.e For Dummies etc, i find it far more beneficial to have it as an e-book.

Tags: Add Tags