bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 20th Oct 2009, 08:49   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Asus Radeon HD 5870 Voltage Tweak Review

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...tweak-review/1

The ATI Radeon HD 5870 is the fastest single GPU graphics card available right now, but Asus looks to have a way to make it even faster with its Voltage Tweak edition. Allowing you to alter the card's Vcore voltage and unlock even more overclocking headroom, just how fast can the HD 5870 go? We find out.

Old 20th Oct 2009, 09:17   #2
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
<3 You guys for including an 8800GT on there. I can actually see how much of a performance jump I'd get if I upgraded!

What version of SmartDoctor are you running? I've got 5.34 (I think) and that allows saving your Overclock between reboots. Unless you meant Overclocks + Voltage settings - I have no idea if my version supports that.
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2009, 09:33   #3
bagman
I Mod, Therefore I Own

bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
why didn'y you benchmark the asus 4870 oveclocked in games? i want to see how good this card is at overclocking and the performace boosts
bagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2009, 10:07   #4
eek
CAMRA ***.

eek has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman
why didn'y you benchmark the asus 5870 oveclocked in games? i want to see how good this card is at overclocking and the performace boosts
I wondered that too. I get that the card doesn't come overclocked and not all cards will clock equally, but given that this product is aimed at overclockers it surely makes sense to run it overclocked in the benchmarks - how many people are going to buy this and run it at stock?

Looks like a nice card though. Every day we fail to see any sign of activity in the nvidia camp is another day for AMD to pull ahead!
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2009, 10:15   #5
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman
why didn'y you benchmark the asus 4870 oveclocked in games? i want to see how good this card is at overclocking and the performace boosts
You mean those Crysis performance graphs on the "overclocking" page showing stock vs overclocked performance we're enough?

Realistically though, the overclocked settings will only have an affect under certain cirumstances. Some games will be core clock limited, other more memory dependant, and others still will be driver based when it comes to performance. The Overclocking graphs we've included give you an idea of what we got from the card, but there's no way to say you'll get the same due to differences in the GPU between cards.

The stock performance we've given here is what the card WILL deliver, not what it might deliver if you get the voltage tweak right.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2009, 10:20   #6
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
It looked very promising until I saw the temperature. Without better/water cooling that beast it is a nice proof of concept, nothing more nothing less. I don't think I want a card that goes all the way up to 80+, maybe even 90 degrees.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2009, 10:32   #7
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
You've never owned a reference HD4850, have you perplekks?
Those babies run right up to 90C without any throttling. I think ATI chips just run hotter because they can handle it, unlike nVidia's bull**** chips that die if they go over 65C.

Last edited by Claave; 20th Oct 2009 at 12:55. Reason: Come on, keep it clean!
stonedsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2009, 10:33   #8
RotoSequence
Lazy Lurker

RotoSequence has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This does indicate that with some process tweaks, AMD will have some room to play with in terms of GPU speeds once Nvidia releases its new product. That should be interesting.
Old 20th Oct 2009, 10:40   #9
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedsurd View Post
Those babies run right up to 90C without any throttling. I think ATI chips just run hotter because they can handle it, unlike nVidia's bullshit chips that die if they go over 65C.
No I haven't, true.
My 8800GTS/640 runs nicely <70 and I like it.

Still I think fewer heat sources in a system are a good thing. And Roto might be right there: New process, cooler, very good performance, low heat >> me likey!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Old 20th Oct 2009, 10:43   #10
MorpheusUK
a Noob that knows something

MorpheusUK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What's to stop one from flashing their other partner 5870 BIOS with the Asus one to unlock the over-volt potential?
Just a thought if it's even doable.
Old 20th Oct 2009, 10:45   #11
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorpheusUK
What's to stop one from flashing their other partner 5870 BIOS with the Asus one to unlock the over-volt potential?
erm, we couldn't possibly comment on whether this was possible....
Old 20th Oct 2009, 11:08   #12
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorpheusUK View Post
Voiding your warranty?
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Old 20th Oct 2009, 14:31   #13
Er-El
Supermodder

Er-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The STALKER: Clear Sky looks like a real power drainer. I own the HD4850 but it ran at minimum 10fps on that card!
Er-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2009, 14:42   #14
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I wish I had £300+ I could spend on a 5870.

During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2009, 16:16   #15
-VK-
Lurker

-VK- has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorpheusUK
erm, we couldn't possibly comment on whether this was possible....
1) You'll void your warranty.
2) The card I tried to do it on ended up as a paperweight.
Old 20th Oct 2009, 17:33   #16
Evildead666
Supermodder

Evildead666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Theres probably an Asus chip on there somewhere....like they have on their motherboards....
Old 20th Oct 2009, 17:34   #17
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pepsi

For a side grade in performance?
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2009, 17:35   #18
Baz
I work for Corsair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildead666 View Post
Theres probably an Asus chip on there somewhere....like they have on their motherboards....
Nope, physically it's just the same as any other HD 5870 - all the Asus tweakery is done in the VBIOS.
Old 20th Oct 2009, 22:29   #19
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pepsi View Post

i wish Asus gave out these instead of gtx285's.
Old 20th Oct 2009, 23:39   #20
dark_avenger
Raspberry Pi owner

dark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedsurd View Post
Those babies run right up to 90C without any throttling. I think ATI chips just run hotter because they can handle it, unlike nVidia's bull**** chips that die if they go over 65C.
my 9800GT runs at up to 105C at full load and has done for months (folding)
there rated to 125C
dark_avenger is offline   Reply With Quote