bit-tech.net

Old 22nd Oct 2009, 14:05   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Civ coming to Facebook

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...-to-facebook/1

Sid Meier will be bringing Civ to Facebook through a new persistently online and free game.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 14:12   #2
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Uh oh.

Thus far I have resisted Farmville and all the games available on facebook, but this might just get me hooked :/
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 14:17   #3
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
What would you need microtransactions for in Civ?

Though I should expect the worst.. Free play*

*One city allowed, additional cities cost $4.99 each.
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 14:18   #4
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
probably for the best that i cant access facebook at work.
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 14:27   #5
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by docodine View Post
What would you need microtransactions for in Civ?

Though I should expect the worst.. Free play*

*One city allowed, additional cities cost $4.99 each.
Maybe instant building of units or buildings and maybe some of the wonders are only available through micro transactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 14:43   #6
Deact
Modder

Deact has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sounds good to me, less so on mircotransactions. May finally help explain why we spend so much time of these sites afterall...

Oh, spotted this amongst the lines:

"...on the strengths of a social netowrking site ..."
Deact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 14:49   #7
Psytek
Multimodder

Psytek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh hell, goodbye life. This will eat all of my spare time.
Psytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 14:54   #8
interzen
Real men use chainsaws.

interzen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It'll be good providing it plays like Civ4 rather than "Revolution", which was utter crap, IMO.
I'll be keeping an eye on this, I think - if anyone can pull it off then I suspect that Sid Meier will be the one to do it.
interzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 15:05   #9
Redbeaver
The Other Red Meat

Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
oh wow, out of all the app request ive declined the past years in facebook (pretty much 99% of them), i might just succumb on this sucker.

man.... ive been laughin at my wife on how much time she spent in facebook, soon its all gonna turn back.
ASUS Z97i-Plus - 4670K - 8GB DDR3 - Zotac GTX 970 - Crucial MX100 256GB - Corsair 250D [Modded]
www.pecelayam.com
Redbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 15:21   #10
AshT
Custom User Title

AshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddywinks
Uh oh.

Thus far I have resisted Farmville and all the games available on facebook, but this might just get me hooked :/
Couldn't have said it better myself.
AshT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 15:24   #11
Abhorsen
Hypermodder

Abhorsen has yet to learn the way of the DremelAbhorsen has yet to learn the way of the DremelAbhorsen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshT
Quote:
Uh oh.

Same boat here!
Abhorsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 16:28   #12
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
...as facebook is pretty much unused in Germany (i don't know anybody even trying it) I must have missed this game-on-facebook thing.
Isn't it a "social networking site"? This relates to free gaming how?
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 16:40   #13
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir
...as facebook is pretty much unused in Germany (i don't know anybody even trying it) I must have missed this game-on-facebook thing.
Facebook has applications that you add to your profile. They weren't much when they first started, but now you can get some sickeningly detailed and deep games to play. They are flash based as far as I know, and a lot of my friends are hooked on some of them. Especially farmville. I have never really given any the time of day.

Civ might change that.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 17:29   #14
Abhorsen
Hypermodder

Abhorsen has yet to learn the way of the DremelAbhorsen has yet to learn the way of the DremelAbhorsen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir
I find that astonishing as much as it annoys me at times, a country not utilising one of the fast growing websites of all time sounds really bizarre.
Abhorsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 20:00   #15
ano
8-bit Bandit

ano has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhorsen
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshT
Quote:
Uh oh.

Same boat here!
We're going to need a bigger boat!
ano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 21:43   #16
bigsharn
Officially demotivated

bigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ano View Post
We're going to need a bigger boat!
Much MUCH bigger if I'm to fit in it
Old 23rd Oct 2009, 13:59   #17
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhorsen View Post
I find that astonishing as much as it annoys me at times, a country not utilising one of the fast growing websites of all time sounds really bizarre.
Germany has it's own version... (StudiVZ, Xing (former OpenBC))

You think that's odd? get this: the Netherlands have no Ebay...they have a (poor) version of their own (marktplaats.nl)
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Oct 2009, 10:23   #18
biebiep
Multimodder

biebiep has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Like Mousehunt wasn't addictive enough already >_>

Goddamn you Facebook!
biebiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2009, 21:02   #19
boggsi
Multimodder

boggsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
bit-tech++ for picking up on this. I have been looking out for someone to do a decent job of capitalising on the potential for a decent persistent MMOish game on FB & this looks like it could be it. Nice catch!
boggsi is offline   Reply With Quote