1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Photoshop CS4 - weird bug after Sleep/wake-up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Whitesky, 24 Oct 2009.

1. Whitesky

Whitesky Minimodder

I know this sounds more than likely a software issue, but as you're about to read I also think it might be hardware related.

Sometimes in Photoshop, I'll be clicking a tool, let's say eraser, and it suddenly "jumps" over a random distance and erases somewhere else. Or, if I click and drag a selection, sometimes the corner point where I click starts shifted way over in another spot. If I Undo, click again, sometimes it works normal again, though on the next try it might do it again.

Now I think it might be hardware or specifically, maybe memory related as this only happens with the following:
    1) I have almost my entire RAM being used up for an extended period of time
    2) I put the PC on standby/sleep with Photoshop still open, usually also with alot of RAM being used up at that moment.

Closing Photoshop and re-opening solves the problem, which also clears all my RAM back down to normal levels, another memory thing that I notice.

Any ideas? (yes I know just don't leave Pshop open when I standby, but I'd like to know what's causing it)

2. identikit

identikit Minimodder

You using 64bit? Installed all the latest updates?

Post your config too.

3. Whitesky

Whitesky Minimodder

i7 920
    ASUS P6T Deluxe 2
    6Gb OCZ
    128Gb OCZ SSD (OS & Apps)
    1Tb WD Caviar Black
    GTX 295 CO-OP

Windows Vista 64
    Photoshop CS4 - 64bit

Scratch disk is on the 1Tb WD drive
    All programs, drivers, hardware updated

4. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Does the cursor 'jumping' happen any other time, not in Photoshop? A jittery cursor can be caused by a hair of dust on your mouse sensor. Also I've experienced weird problems in 64bit PS due to a corrupt font that I had, 32bit PS was completely normal. Maybe try to recreate the problem in 32bit?

5. Whitesky

Whitesky Minimodder

No it's not that the cursor jumps, it's the 'registration point' of the click in Pshop (and yes Pshop only) Let's say I click three times in the same spot, the cursor will not move but will suddenly erase somewhere else. It seems to only jump up and to the right, never anywhere else. Imagine drawing a picture where your mouse cursor is actually shifted over from where the point really is. But yea, it only happens when I'm maxed out on RAM or I wake up the computer from standby.

6. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Maxing out 6GB of RAM eh? How much are you letting PS use? Also have have you set up your scratch disk?

7. Whitesky

Whitesky Minimodder

Yea I have it set to use around 65-70%, with 7 cache levels and 20 undo states (ouch). I'm picking up another 6Gb soon, but don't know if this is a software or hardware issue.

On another note, I am getting W7 soon so perhaps after the wipe and starting over it might stop glitching.

8. eTiMaGo

eTiMaGo What's a Dremel?

registered to post about this too, it's been driving me mad!

Got Photoshop CS4 on my laptop - 4GB RAM, Core2Duo 2.5GHz, Nvidia GF9500M, running on Windows 7

and same thing, I click somewhere in photoshop, and the action happens somewhere else entirely.. It does this for a couple of clicks then works fine for a while, then does it again

This happens on both the 32 and 64 bit versions, with OpenGL acceleration enabled or disabled. Thought it was my mouse double clicking on its own, but changing it did not solve anything..

Whitesky, have you found any solution yet?

9. she'shighvoltage!

she'shighvoltage! What's a Dremel?

If you're overclocking, you'll want to drop back down to stock speeds then re-overclock when adding the new RAM.
    Going from 6 to 12 gigs will probably fry the memory controller if it's running at higher than stock.

10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I have this problem at work and it definitely seemed hardware based. Changing the mouse and USB controller drivers cured it. Unfortunately, it wasn't me who fixed it, so I don't know if it was the mouse or the USB controller drivers that were at fault.

My only issue with CS4 is instability under Win 7.. but that's a different thread entirely.

I strongly suspect it's hardware related. If the mouse paused or locked up... THEN jumped across the screen that would suggest the program was unresponsive for a short time and then "caught up" with itself.... but the sudden, and spurious nature makes me suspect hardware. The fact that the problem has disappeared at work after replacing USB drivers and a mouse change suggests it also.

Someone above has changed mouse however.... so mouse is unlikely.

Do the usual... back to stock speeds if overclocked... update all chipset drivers to ensure USB controllers are up to date. Slacken off memory timings, and lower memory usage in PS prefs.

It's odd that the cursor seems to register to the right of where it actually is however. I wonder if it's a graphics card issue. I say this because I am having trouble with CS4 in a different way and it's definitely caused by it not liking my GPU drivers.

Last edited: 26 Dec 2009