bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 18th May 2015, 05:08   #1
supermonkey
Deal with it

supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
How I wanted to be like GOO and Jumeira_Johnny, but ended up fixing a bicycle instead

Excuse the clever title. I figured after GOO and Jumeira_Johnny shared their automobile build/restoration logs with everyone, I thought I might do the same but on a much (much!) smaller scale.

My daughter's 8th birthday is fast approaching, and we figured it's long past time she learned to ride a bicycle. Her friends are all riding bikes now, so naturally she's expressed an interest in learning. Rather than run out and spend a bunch of money on a shiny new bike, I thought it would be fun to take an older bike, clean it up, and make it hers.

I have an older niece who outgrew her old bike years ago, and it's been sitting behind my parents' garage for the past 5 years or so, soaking up all the weather that Houston has to offer. All it does anymore is collect rust (and a few assorted bugs), so I decided to take it apart and see just how much life I can breath into it.

First thing was to take a look at the bike in its current state. Dirty, but not terribly bad upon first look:

I had already taken off the handlebar grips because they were mostly gone to begin with. Grips are cheap, so I'll replace those anyway. Other wise this is it. It's a cheaper kids bike - nothing fancy, but good enough to last a few years before she gets older and outgrows it. I inflated the tires and after a couple days they were still firm, so the tires and rubber are both in good enough shape to salvage.

Upon closer look, the bike has definitely seen its share of the elements. Anything that's not painted has rust. It will take some work to restore it, but I enjoy getting my hands dirty.

A close-up of the main cog and pedal bar:

The other side of the bike:

And a good look at one of the wheels:

With that, it was time to start taking everything apart.
This is a close-up of the part where the handlebar assembly connects to the lower fork through the frame. You can see it's pretty nasty inside.

I removed the pedals and got the main cog and pedal bar off the frame. The internal pieces were dirty, but not as bad as I expected.

The rear cog and axle assembly was absolutely caked with what I can only assume is years of original grease, dirt, and WD-40 . This was a learning experience for me as I'd always wondered how the breaking mechanism worked on a simple single speed bike. Now I know that it uses a screw mechanism which, when turned in the reverse direction, pushes a conical bushing forward into a couple of small metal plates. The conical bushing pushes the plates outward, and as they expand inside the wheel hub it creates friction which causes the wheel to stop spinning. It's a pretty clever design, even if it is covered in dirty grease.

After taking everything apart, I used a toothbrush and a bowl of gasoline to clean all the pieces. It went quicker than expected, and by the time I was done I had successfully cleaned the old grease from every piece of the bike:

All of the bearings from both wheels and the fork assembly cleaned up perfectly, with no other signs of wear. This made me very happy. A little bit of proper grease will have them spinning freely again. Some of the bolts and washers cleaned up well, but still had varying degrees of rust. I'll probably end up replacing any bolts and washers as needed.

This is the bike in its current state:

Some pieces are beyond simple repair. The pedals are old plastic and in very poor condition. Also, the chain is mostly rust at this point and most of the links don't even move anymore. Chains and pedals are cheap, and for what I'm saving by restoring this bike I can afford to replace those, plus get a basket for my daughter's stuffed animals to ride along.

Next on my to-do list is to take a wire brush and/or a relatively high grit sanding pad to the remaining metal parts and remove as much rust as possible without destroying anything. After that comes the primer and paint, then I'll re-assemble everything using proper grease - no more WD-40 for this bike!

So yeah, it's not as awesome as restoring a classic automobile, and certainly not as mechanically interesting as building an entire car, but there you go.
But of bliss and of glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
-J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion
supermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 08:23   #2
Cookie Monster
Your cookies belong to me!

Cookie Monster is a Super Spamming SaiyanCookie Monster is a Super Spamming SaiyanCookie Monster is a Super Spamming SaiyanCookie Monster is a Super Spamming SaiyanCookie Monster is a Super Spamming SaiyanCookie Monster is a Super Spamming SaiyanCookie Monster is a Super Spamming SaiyanCookie Monster is a Super Spamming SaiyanCookie Monster is a Super Spamming SaiyanCookie Monster is a Super Spamming SaiyanCookie Monster is a Super Spamming Saiyan
My kind of thing. This makes you even more awesome than GOO and Johnny.
Old 18th May 2015, 08:54   #3
Pookie
Luck favors the prepared

Pookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
This is going to be good. So many people would have just scrapped it. The fact that you would have restored this will make it even more special for your daughter
Old 18th May 2015, 10:09   #4
jrduquemin
Multimodder

jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.jrduquemin is definitely a rep cheat.
I've never disassembled coaster brakes before, but one-piece cranks are dead easy to rebuild. Get some decent quality grease for the bearings and good luck with the rebuild
jrduquemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 11:25   #5
CrapBag
I Mod, Therefore I Own

CrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Not sure if it would be too cost prohibitive but the wheels and other rusty parts could do with media blasting but I've never had anything blasted so have no idea if this is an expensive proposition.
CrapBag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 12:11   #6
Ljs
Limited Edition

Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.
I remember doing this with an old BMX with my dad when I was 13/14. It was great fun!

Are you going to give it a lacquer finish?
Ljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 13:15   #7
ashchap
Supermodder

ashchap is a Super Spamming Saiyanashchap is a Super Spamming Saiyanashchap is a Super Spamming Saiyanashchap is a Super Spamming Saiyanashchap is a Super Spamming Saiyanashchap is a Super Spamming Saiyanashchap is a Super Spamming Saiyanashchap is a Super Spamming Saiyanashchap is a Super Spamming Saiyanashchap is a Super Spamming Saiyanashchap is a Super Spamming Saiyan
This looks interesting!

I've never heard of coaster brakes before, how do you operate them?
ashchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 13:20   #8
Almightyrastus
Rule #9

Almightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Just pedal backwards. You see them all the time on the older bikes still being ridden around The Netherlands. Looks a bit odd to see someone on a bike with no levers on the handlebars.
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 23:26   #9
Newton Sporkfondle
Spork, the all-purpose eating tool!

Newton Sporkfondle has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I would not give a child of mine a bike that relies solely on a coaster brake to stop. They are extraordinarily inefficient. With only the rear wheel braked there is no way to stop rapidly in an emergency, the rear wheel will just lock and slide, taking a long time, too long, to stop the bike. Also they can very quickly overheat and fade downhill.
Newton Sporkfondle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 01:39   #10
supermonkey
Deal with it

supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton Sporkfondle View Post
I would not give a child of mine a bike that relies solely on a coaster brake to stop. They are extraordinarily inefficient. With only the rear wheel braked there is no way to stop rapidly in an emergency, the rear wheel will just lock and slide, taking a long time, too long, to stop the bike. Also they can very quickly overheat and fade downhill.
That's fair enough, but I don't think she's going to build enough enough speed and momentum that she won't be able to stop. It certainly never prevented me when I was a kid. Nevertheless, I noticed that the frame has holes to attach brakes, so if it gets to be an issue it won't be a problem to retrofit one.

As to your last point - I live in Houston. What the heck is a hill?
But of bliss and of glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Old 19th May 2015, 06:08   #11
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
the rear wheel will just lock and slide, taking a long time, too long, to stop the bike. Also they can very quickly overheat and fade downhill.
Which is exactly why kids bikes have them.
Overbrake your rear wheel and it will slide, overbreak your frontwheel and it's picking-up-teeth-time.

Kids are notoriously bad at dosing brakes.

These brakes are used a lot in the Netherlands...where people think the hill is a lie.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus VW246H 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 15:10   #12
yodasarmpit
No longer the other Brett.

yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Although my Raleigh Striker in the late 70's had front brakes, they were never used, I remember only using the peddle back type - great for sliding round corners
Old Yesterday, 17:33   #13
supermonkey
Deal with it

Bike repair - now with added progress!

It's been a long week - a series of all-day meetings every day, and we've had flooding rain for a couple of weeks now. Life goes on, and so does the bike repair now that I finally made it to the weekend!

I took any metal parts that had significant rust and let them soak overnight in regular household vinegar. Among its near infinite uses is the ability to clean rust. I looked at the bucket this morning and it looked properly gross.

It may have looked a bit on the nasty side, but the vinegar did its trick. Whatever rust was left over came off with very light sanding using 400 grit wet sandpaper. In the above picture, you can see the seat post just left of center, covered in rust. Here is the same seat post after a light touch with a wire brush and sandpaper. It's back to its proper shine.

Some of the parts were a little more intricate, and required more attention. In particular, I took care to work in between the teeth on the two gears. Light sanding was all it took; no flossing necessary.

Houston is notorious for its humidity, and with all the rain we've had recently I didn't want the parts to immediately get rusty after all the work I put into cleaning them. In fact, it was raining while I was cleaning, so I knew I needed to do something to help speed up the drying process.

I decided to bake the pieces for about 4 minutes at 200 degrees (F). I figured the temperature was low enough and the duration short enough that I wouldn't significantly alter the temper on the steel parts. I hope this proves true.

The small parts are done and the parts that will be painted are ready to go. I still have to clean the fork, frame, and wheels, but those are larger and I need to figure out a good way to soak them in vinegar. I may end up just using a commercial rust remover - I'm not sure yet.

I have time to figure that part out. The forecast calls for rain for the next few days, and I don't want to paint with this much water in the air. Perhaps next weekend I'll be ready to prime and paint. In the meantime, my wife is wondering why I haven't finished her bookcase, and I have another woodworking video I desperately need to finish. A guy can only take on so many projects at once!

View Mode