bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 1st Feb 2016, 21:10   #1
BigM2006
Multimodder

BigM2006 has yet to learn the way of the DremelBigM2006 has yet to learn the way of the DremelBigM2006 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Home office setups?

Hey guys,

I'm moving role into a semi-home based IT consultant, and looking for inspiration in regards to my home office setup.

I know there is a a "room and computer" thread, but not seen anything dedicated to home offices.

Any pictures or pointers?

Cheers
Mike
BigM2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2016, 21:16   #2
Rhydian
Hypermodder

Rhydian is definitely a rep cheat.Rhydian is definitely a rep cheat.Rhydian is definitely a rep cheat.Rhydian is definitely a rep cheat.Rhydian is definitely a rep cheat.Rhydian is definitely a rep cheat.Rhydian is definitely a rep cheat.Rhydian is definitely a rep cheat.Rhydian is definitely a rep cheat.Rhydian is definitely a rep cheat.Rhydian is definitely a rep cheat.
Keep it clean, isolated and organised.

Ideally with good lighting and seating.

Mostly working from home requires good discipline. Work the hours you need to and no more, don't think because you're home its ok to work more then you need to. And remember to take regular breaks from that computer screen. Treat it like you would at the office.
Rhydian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2016, 21:40   #3
deathtaker27
Probook Addict

deathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Add to that plenty of desk space and filing space, Remember a good backup system if your a consultant and a seperate server for Dev/testing
deathtaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2016, 22:32   #4
Mankz

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
More than one screen.

Having a dedicated email/test screen is so helpful I can't discribe.
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2016, 22:36   #5
RedFlames
... is plotting and/or scheming

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
If you have kids [and even if you don't] - a lockable door...

RedFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2016, 23:02   #6
Mister_Tad
Modaretor

Mister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Don't skimp on the office chair, and don't think just because it's comfy in the shop for 20 mins that it will be comfy for the occasional 90 hour week. Make sure there's a decent return policy if it turns out it isn't for you and don't skimp.

A non-work area is a nice addition if space allows, also. A comfy lounge chair and something distracting - book, magazines, console. Music whilst working isn't for everyone, but if it works for you, then probably best not to skimp on that either.

And a stack of trays. My office was in chaos before I got a stack of trays, despite being very limited in what I use for paperwork. I have: work filing, personal filing, expenses - makes everything so much tidier, and I generally find I work better in a tidy office.

And you can never have too much storage space.

A few years back I would have suggested to stick strictly to office hours to maintain work/life balance, but these days I find I'm able to work more flexibly without going too much in either direction (i.e. either slacking or losing out on too much personal time) - sometimes I'll work unsociable times when stuff needs doing, but I'll always make it up to myself with time in lieu. Just be careful, as it can be easy to slip into workaholic or slacker, depending on which way inclined you may be at any one time.

Source: Someone who has been a home/field based consultant for around 5 years.

Last edited by Mister_Tad; 1st Feb 2016 at 23:12.
Mister_Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2016, 23:10   #7
Kernel
Likes cheese

Kernel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Kernel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Kernel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Kernel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Kernel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Kernel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Kernel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Kernel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Kernel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Kernel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Kernel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Tad View Post
I likes, where did you get that?

edit: The chair and footstool btw
Main: Intel Core i7 6700 / ASRock Z170 Extreme4+ / CoolerMaster Seidon 120V / Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB / ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II / Antec TruePower New 650W / Crucial M4 64GB + 256GB / Fractal R3 / Dell U2713HM / Dell U2412
ESXi Server: HP Microserver G8 - Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2 / Crucial 8GB RAM / Crucial M4 256GB / 4 x HP 250GB | Xpenology NAS: HP Microserver G8 - Intel Celeron G1610T / 4GB RAM / 3TB WD Red / 2x Samsung F3 1TB Spinpoint
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2016, 23:18   #8
Mister_Tad
Modaretor

Mister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel View Post
I likes, where did you get that?

edit: The chair and footstool btw
It's an IMG Luna - http://www.imgcomfort.com/en-GB/Product/LUNA-HB.aspx

It's also stupidly comfortable, and exactly right for a skive chair.
Mister_Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:49   #9
BigM2006
Multimodder

BigM2006 has yet to learn the way of the DremelBigM2006 has yet to learn the way of the DremelBigM2006 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thanks for all the replies, some good points and good ideas!
BigM2006 is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode