bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old Yesterday, 03:29   #1
NethLyn
Hypermodder

NethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for president
Who's taken games to the charity shop?

For a new year clearout I'm thinning out my games collection but trying my best not to throw anything away, just wondering if anyone's ever taken a load of (non-Steam-tied) games from the 2000-2005 era, DVD boxed, to charity shops, if so, has anyone had any specific chains refusing PC titles that old? Do they all prefer bagged deliveries by appointment? As there's no point dumping them outside when the shop is closed.

If anyone's had any experience with that let me know. Thanks in advance.
Old Yesterday, 03:58   #2
boiled_elephant
I actually like Doom 3.

boiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyan
It's a pity gamestation doesn't exist any more, they used to lap up such donations (and resell them at genuinely fair used prices, too).

I've never seen a charity shop selling modern PC games, only ancient stuff like cartridge and floppy games & consoles, so I'd assume they don't take them - not on principle, but because they probably wouldn't sell. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, they're a pain to sell. A local independent shop owner whose entire job was selling games, especially used games, gave up doing PC titles and explained to me that literally about 80% of them would just come back a day later to the tune of "mate, my computer won't run it, gimme my money back". He got sick of how much of his time it was eating up. Check your local independent games shops if you have any, but many will have made the same decision I imagine.

I was in GAME last week and they do now stock a fair amount of used titles in some outlets, even PC games. If the crap they were selling in there is any measure, I'm sure they'd take yours (they had the original Diablo for about 15, trololol). If you don't mind knowing that they're fleecing people by marking up your old games to ten times what they're worth, that is.
Normally, though, your hobbies are profitless and you spend your youth cramming them
into the pauses between 8-hour shifts of restless tedium, waiting for retirement.
boiled_elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:27   #3
wolfticket
Downwind from the bloodhounds

wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.
I not sure a charity shop is the best place for old is PC games. As mentioned above, I suspect the might not take them and even if they do take they might well be a pain to sell.

I you have the time and inclination I'd be tempted to put them on Gumtree or even the market place here as a job lot for not a lot of money and collection only. Either that or take them along to a shop that sells 2nd hand games (or maybe even CEX) and see what they say.

That way you can give the money to charity if you wish and they might well go to someone who appreciates them.

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought."
Dorothy L. Sayers (1893 - 1957)
wolfticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:07   #4
suenstar
Collector of Things

suenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyan
British Heart Foundation and Cancer Research UK shops often take video games.
Along with the Cornwall Air Ambulance, but they're not national so I doubt you'll find their shop anywhere else.

Oxfam sometimes take games as well, though their stance on them tends to vary from shop to shop.

The reason why you don't tend to see them on the shelves in the shops is because it's not particularly common for people go into those shops looking for games, so they often put them into their online shops (eBay/Amazon normally).
Old Yesterday, 12:37   #5
Mr_Mistoffelees
Tighten your nuts Sir?

Mr_Mistoffelees is definitely a rep cheat.Mr_Mistoffelees is definitely a rep cheat.Mr_Mistoffelees is definitely a rep cheat.Mr_Mistoffelees is definitely a rep cheat.Mr_Mistoffelees is definitely a rep cheat.Mr_Mistoffelees is definitely a rep cheat.Mr_Mistoffelees is definitely a rep cheat.Mr_Mistoffelees is definitely a rep cheat.Mr_Mistoffelees is definitely a rep cheat.Mr_Mistoffelees is definitely a rep cheat.Mr_Mistoffelees is definitely a rep cheat.
I've taken old games to charity shops before now and there has never been any suggestion of a problem. Much less hassle then trying to sell them online for a minute gain after fees.
Old Yesterday, 15:48   #6
mansueto
Too broke to mod

mansueto is a Super Spamming Saiyanmansueto is a Super Spamming Saiyanmansueto is a Super Spamming Saiyanmansueto is a Super Spamming Saiyanmansueto is a Super Spamming Saiyanmansueto is a Super Spamming Saiyanmansueto is a Super Spamming Saiyanmansueto is a Super Spamming Saiyanmansueto is a Super Spamming Saiyanmansueto is a Super Spamming Saiyanmansueto is a Super Spamming Saiyan
A lot of people go hunting for "classics" at Goodwills and Value Villages, so I would imagine any charity shop would probably take them.

I remember stepping into one last year for a Christmas sweater and they had all sorts of old games (both pc and consoles).
Black Momba: i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz | Corsair H80 | MSI P67A-G43 | 8GB DDR3 1600 Ripjaws | 128GB Corsair M4, 1TB Barricuda | 2GB 6950 | Asus PA248 IPS + Acer P243w | Asus Xonar D1 + Fio E07K Andes | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Seasonic X760 | Fractal R3 | Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid | Cooler Master Inferno
Lenovo U410: i7 3517u | 8GB ram | 24GB + 750GB HDD | 14 inch ultrabook
mansueto is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode