bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 6th Nov 2014, 16:02   #1
theoriginaltomato
Minimodder

theoriginaltomato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theoriginaltomato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theoriginaltomato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theoriginaltomato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theoriginaltomato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theoriginaltomato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theoriginaltomato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theoriginaltomato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theoriginaltomato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theoriginaltomato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theoriginaltomato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Carefully drop

So, this is a very random one. We're having a debate in the office, that is quickly turning heated. But one of my colleagues claims that you can carefully drop something. After we got too literal with the various factors, including terminal velocity, we decided to turn to the world of forums to settle this argument to decide once and for all if it is possible to carefully drop something.
theoriginaltomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Nov 2014, 18:08   #2
Stotherd-001
Knows what a dremel is. Shock.

Stotherd-001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stotherd-001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stotherd-001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stotherd-001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stotherd-001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stotherd-001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stotherd-001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stotherd-001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stotherd-001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stotherd-001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stotherd-001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Yes?

There's the option of just releasing something from a height, and then there's releasing it over a different surface, releasing it in such a way that it lands in a particular position, and even varying the height of the release...

Of course it depends on the conditions you're placing on the definition of drop, but drop doesn't necessarily imply a lack of control.

Yeah.
Stotherd-001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Nov 2014, 18:15   #3
wolfticket
Downwind from the bloodhounds

wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.
Yes again I'm afraid.

People carefully drop their phones all the time.
Drop it on it's edge on to concrete, careless. Drop it on it's face onto a sofa while taking your coat off when you get home, careful.

The OED doesn't define "drop" as necessarily accidental: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...n/english/drop

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought."
Dorothy L. Sayers (1893 - 1957)
wolfticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Nov 2014, 18:15   #4
SuicideNeil
I'm insane, not stupid.

SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.
I'd think of it more as a controlled release- let the object carefully slip from your hands down onto the floor as you lower it say, rather than just release it from a height.

Any release, careful or not, from the same ( large ) height, is gonna do the same amount of damage pretty much; I think it's just one of those old expressions that has a non-literal meaning...
Old 6th Nov 2014, 18:16   #5
mansueto
Too broke to mod

mansueto is a Super Spamming Saiyanmansueto is a Super Spamming Saiyanmansueto is a Super Spamming Saiyanmansueto is a Super Spamming Saiyanmansueto is a Super Spamming Saiyanmansueto is a Super Spamming Saiyanmansueto is a Super Spamming Saiyanmansueto is a Super Spamming Saiyanmansueto is a Super Spamming Saiyanmansueto is a Super Spamming Saiyanmansueto is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I "carefully drop" my pets all the time. I just let em go a few inches off the floor. I only do this if they're on a bed or something high, instead of letting them jump off, i'll pick them up, lean over, and let them go as close to the ground as I can.

I "carefully" drop my phone on my bed all the time. You could argue that depending what you're dropping it on could be considered careful. If you drop your phone on a floor, it isn't careful at all, but if you drop it on a bed, there really is no harm, so it's technically being careful.

If something is light enough you can kind of just drop it anywhere since the weight won't let it do any real harm from falling short distances.
Black Momba: i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz | Corsair H80 | MSI P67A-G43 | 8GB DDR3 1600 Ripjaws | 128GB Corsair M4, 1TB Barricuda | 2GB 6950 | Asus PA248 IPS + Acer P243w | Asus Xonar D1 + Fio E07K Andes | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Seasonic X760 | Fractal R3 | Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid | Cooler Master Inferno
Lenovo U410: i7 3517u | 8GB ram | 24GB + 750GB HDD | 14 inch ultrabook
mansueto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Nov 2014, 18:26   #6
Porkins' Wingman
Can't touch this

Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.
Yes, you can carefully drop something. Taking care to choose optimum height, angle, surface, spin, likely obstructions etc. etc. are all examples of taking care.

A mate once claimed he had an unbreakable plate. I took hold of it and carefully ensured it dropped at the right angle, onto the right surface, to definitely break. And it did. Kudos to me for taking care.
"Porkins' Wingman's post is just about the most thoughtful, inciteful post I have ever read on a public forum anywhere. It has made me think....which is no mean feat in itself." - Provoking thought since 8th March 2014
Porkins' Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Nov 2014, 19:24   #7
EvilMerc
Dew Addict

EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I daresay most bombs dropped from aircraft can be regarded as being dropped carefully, they'd be a tad useless otherwise.
EvilMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Nov 2014, 19:54   #8
AlphaAngel
Hypermodder

AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.
I think we are debating the adverb of manner with the verb.

To drop carefully vs to drop with care. To drop carefully is a misnomer really whereas to drop with care means to be aware of the environment in which the drop is taking place.

We are arguing semantics here and the meaning is more important but if we are to be pedantic then to drop carefully really doesn't make sense as to drop means to release, you release or don't release, it is not a verb to which an adverb of manner could really be assigned.
4670k/Asus 280x TOP/Asus Maximus Gene VI/8GB Corsair Vengence/Fractal Design Define Mini/Asus Xonar D2X/Samsumg 128GB 840 Pro/Samsung 500GB 840 Evo/Corsair AX 860/Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced/Dell U2412HM
AlphaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Nov 2014, 20:48   #9
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Absolutely possible as allready said.

I drop my phone on the sofa or the bed, which I'd consider to be careful for example.
Then I also can drop something from the first floor out of the window carefully to someone standing outside receiving it, etc.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Nov 2014, 21:42   #10
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I carefully dropped my turd on to a waiting cushion of bogroll earlier, in a work toilet notorious for splashbacks.
Old 6th Nov 2014, 23:02   #11
Darkwisdom
Level 99 Retro Nerd

Darkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty View Post
I carefully dropped my turd on to a waiting cushion of bogroll earlier, in a work toilet notorious for splashbacks.
You brought down the intelligence of the palaver in an instant, damn it Shirty.

I 'carefully' drop my cat all the time from a foot or so. People carefully drop phones onto beds, carefully drop shoes on the floor.
Old 6th Nov 2014, 23:30   #12
Teelzebub
Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Teelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming Saiyan
You can carefully drop names in a conversion

And I've known a few women that carefully dropped their knickers

Mountain mods case, Enermax 1250w PSU, Asus Maximus V Extreme, i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz, Samsung 840 250gb SSD. 500gb Seagate,Corsair H80i wind tunnel, 16gb Corsair Vengeance pro 1866mhz,4xEVGA GTX 670 quad SLI 2 x Dell U27" @ 2560 x 1440, 4 bags of weed
Teelzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2014, 02:14   #13
Darkwisdom
Level 99 Retro Nerd

Darkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teelzebub View Post
You can carefully drop names in a conversion

And I've known a few women that carefully dropped their knickers
If you're good, women don't carefully drop knickers
Old 7th Nov 2014, 04:29   #14
TheMadDutchDude
Hypermodder

TheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I would have to say yes too as I also 'carefully' drop my phone on to my bed or occasionally sling it through the living (no, I'm not joking!) room onto the couch.

My HWBot Profile
TheMadDutchDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2014, 12:46   #15
Teelzebub
Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Teelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwisdom View Post
If you're good, women don't carefully drop knickers
Depends if you're laying underneath

Mountain mods case, Enermax 1250w PSU, Asus Maximus V Extreme, i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz, Samsung 840 250gb SSD. 500gb Seagate,Corsair H80i wind tunnel, 16gb Corsair Vengeance pro 1866mhz,4xEVGA GTX 670 quad SLI 2 x Dell U27" @ 2560 x 1440, 4 bags of weed
Teelzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Nov 2014, 11:50   #16
Unicorn
Uniform November India

Unicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
Absolutely possible as allready said.

I drop my phone on the sofa or the bed, which I'd consider to be careful for example.
This, as many have said, is the most common example. I have a £700 phone which I "carefully drop" all the time. I even "carefully throw" it on the bed sometimes because it's in a case and it's impacting a soft fabric surface. Would I drop or throw it onto a marble worktop in the same way? No, obviously not!

Quote:
You made me laugh out loud, a lot! Thankfully I was in my own office and there was nobody around!

There's another joke about carefully "dropping" things in relation to passing gas here too, but you've lowered the tone of the thread enough, I don't think anyone needs to go further

"For every stalwart bit-tech-worthy tech out there, another 2 cretinous arse-scratchers are out there pulling your patches and reconfiguring your ****." - Krikkit
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Nov 2014, 11:53   #17
Blogins
Panda have Guns

Blogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Especially wise if the toilet has just been bleached.
|OCZ Vertex 3 120GB (Solid State Drive - Boot)|OCZ Vertex 3 240GB (Solid State Drive - Games)|
Blogins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Nov 2014, 12:06   #18
jinq-sea
#BBERG

jinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I have been known to carefully drop an air biscuit when in a crowded place, so I would say yes, one can carefully drop something

To carefully drop? There's a pedant's dream. One problem has been touched on above, the other being a SPLIT INFINITIVE...

In all seriousness, yes, I think it's entirely possible to drop something with care, as with the phone examples above

Keyboards, various. (More than I have hands and feet...)
i7-3770K // P8Z77-I Deluxe // 8Gb Ballistix // 770 // 256Gb M4 // 250D // AX850 // 3008WFP // 2i2 // Rokit 5 G2
jinq-sea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Nov 2014, 12:48   #19
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Surely "carefully drop" relates to intention and not solely action?

As such, yes.

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Nov 2014, 19:40   #20
supermonkey
Deal with it

supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoriginaltomato View Post
After we got too literal with the various factors, including terminal velocity, we decided to turn to the world of forums to settle this argument to decide once and for all if it is possible to carefully drop something.
Is the objection to the word 'carefully?' You've asked if it is possible to carefully drop something. I'd like to ask if there is an alternative manner in which an object may be dropped.

If you want to take a prescriptive approach, you can parse the phrase another way using definitions for the individual words. Carefully drop becomes make something fall in a manner that avoids potential danger, mishap, or harm.

Taking this approach I would say yes, it is possible to carefully drop something. The alternative is to make something fall without giving attention to avoiding harm or error (i.e. carelessly drop).
But of bliss and of glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
-J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion
supermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debate, dropping, office, physics

View Mode