bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 2nd Jul 2015, 06:04   #1
Kronos
As simple as that,well I never

Kronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Oh what a night.

I do not know what it was like down your way but up here in Edinburgh we had a fantastic light show that went on for quite some time.
A massive clap of thunder woke me around 1 am and then I noticed what seemed to be constant flashes from behind the blinds covering the windows. Opening one I was treatedvto something I have never in my 61 years seen before, flash after flash of lighting then a massive burst of thunder.
Oddly my cat wanted out so I took her down to the back door with my camera to hopefully get a snap or two of this spectacular show but never seemed to have the camera pointing in the right direction.
I regret not being higher as at ground level houses blocked most of the lighting flashes. I saw plenty though and it was well worth standing in the garden getting soaked by the torrential rain. The cat did not agree as she shot back inside.
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 08:18   #2
Wozzname
Some random guy

Wozzname has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Newcastle and also the Isle of Harris had quite a display yesterday around 3pm-5pm - was watching the lightning strike activity with lightning maps. Disappointingly couldn't find any live webcams (not those silly update every 7 seconds ones) to watch the storms though!
Fractal R4| i7 4790k@4.8| Noctua NH-D15| MSI Z97 Gaming 5| 8GB G.Skill Trident X 2400Mhz| Palit Super Jetstream GTX 780 (1000/6200)| Asus Xonar STX II| Samsung EVO 1TB + 3TB Seagate| Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W| Windows 8.1| HP LP2475W| Audioengine A2+B 2.0 Speakers| Roccat Kova| Roccat Isku| Corsair Vengeance 1500
Wozzname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 09:04   #3
legoman
breaker of things

legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
26c last night outside. god knows what it was inside no breeze only sound was the flys. oh an the crows going crazy at 4AM. Really miss storms
AMD Phenom X6 1605T @ 4.5Ghz |Corsair H80 |Gigbyte970A-UD3 | 2X4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast | ASUS AMD 6950 2GB DirectCU II & Arctic Accelero Hybrid | Corsair HX750 | Liteon Blue Ray Drive | Samsung HD103SJ 1Tb | Crucial M4 SSD 64GB |Crucial M500 120GB| TP-Link 450MPs WiFi adaptor | Coolermaster Storm Trooper | Win 7 Pro 64it | Roccat ARVO | Logitech G500 | Bamboo 1 | Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW
legoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 09:16   #4
Kronos

Kronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming Saiyan
We here in Edinburgh have not enjoyed high temperatures that other parts of the country have. Pretty much a typical Scottish summer so far. Couple of days sun followed by weeks of overcast sky's.
But the storm made up for it and then some.
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 09:34   #5
phinix
Say it! Who's your dremel?!

phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.
Here in Glasgow we also had thunders, I didn't see any but heard them well. It was something around 12, maybe 1am. I was in my bed already but didn't care to get off, it was so hot in last few days, that I decided not to move at all It was 17C during night! Yesterday it hit 30C late afternoon. Tomorrow supposed to be 25-28C again. This morning I put on my suit and within 2 minutes I was melting, so said "hell no" to the dress code today - I'm not gonna melt in a office like that, shorts and T today

I had a peek on next week's weather forecast - 32C mid week!
star citizen :::
ARBITER: Origin Jumpworks 325A LTI
phinix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 10:37   #6
CrapBag
I Mod, Therefore I Own

CrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Didn't get any thunder last night but we did peak at 33.5c on my cars outside temp thermometer, it was still 30c+ at 6 in the evening.

Cloudy out now so maybe we are in a for a storm.
CrapBag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 11:05   #7
suenstar
Collector of Things

suenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Sadly no interesting light shows down in my area... we had a bit of thunder around 2-3pm around Cornwall yesterday then is basically turned foggy with on and off light showers for the rest of the day and into the night.

Looking at that lightning map's animation of yesterday's recorded strikes, there were a few along the border of Cornwall and Devon and on the south coast but nothing overly noticeable inland for Cornwall.

North England from Liverpool upwards looks fairly impressive on the archive record on that website from 8pm onwards:
http://www.lightningmaps.org/blitzor...ikes_maps_form
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 11:33   #8
fix-the-spade
Ultramodder

fix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyan
We got the light show.

We also got the mother and father of hail storms in it's wake.

My car is full of dents, I stopped counting at ten on the roof panel, my neighbour's looks like someone went at it with a lump hammer. Expensive night.
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 11:57   #9
Teelzebub
Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Teelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Nothing at all up here in Wales just hot
bt was once a great and vibrant forum wtf happened to it? , there must be a Hex on us back to mediocrity Get back under your bridges you scummy Troll's and STFU Mountain mods case, Enermax 1250w PSU, Asus Maximus V Extreme, i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz, Samsung 840 250gb SSD. 500gb Seagate,Corsair H80i wind tunnel, 16gb Corsair Vengeance pro 1866mhz,4xEVGA GTX 670 quad SLI 2 x Dell U27" @ 2560 x 1440, 4 bags of weed
Teelzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 11:58   #10
phinix
Say it! Who's your dremel?!

phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fix-the-spade View Post
We got the light show.

We also got the mother and father of hail storms in it's wake.

My car is full of dents, I stopped counting at ten on the roof panel, my neighbour's looks like someone went at it with a lump hammer. Expensive night.
holy ****, does insurance cover it?
star citizen :::
ARBITER: Origin Jumpworks 325A LTI
phinix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 12:03   #11
Kronos

This lightning website is it possible to roll the clock back 12 hours so I can see Edinburgh though last night? I cannot figure out how to do it.
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 12:06   #12
Teelzebub
Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Teelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinix View Post
Unlikely "Act of God"
bt was once a great and vibrant forum wtf happened to it? , there must be a Hex on us back to mediocrity Get back under your bridges you scummy Troll's and STFU Mountain mods case, Enermax 1250w PSU, Asus Maximus V Extreme, i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz, Samsung 840 250gb SSD. 500gb Seagate,Corsair H80i wind tunnel, 16gb Corsair Vengeance pro 1866mhz,4xEVGA GTX 670 quad SLI 2 x Dell U27" @ 2560 x 1440, 4 bags of weed
Teelzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 12:13   #13
suenstar
Collector of Things

suenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
This lightning website is it possible to roll the clock back 12 hours so I can see Edinburgh though last night? I cannot figure out how to do it.
It doesn't seem to have an option to narrow the animation to just Scotland or zoom in further than the standard UK view, but on the link for the archive page I posted you can narrow the time-scale down anything to the nearest hour.

e.g. setting the time at "20 o'clock" and "+6 hours" will give you the strikes from 8pm to 2am which looks like when most of them hit Scotland.

http://www.lightningmaps.org/blitzor...ikes_maps_form
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 12:13   #14
Yadda
All the beer and no IKEA.

Yadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming Saiyan
@Kronos - if you want to try and photograph lightning, you need to be using a tripod and fairly long exposures. The bolts are far too quick to capture by just firing off frames. You might also want to stack several shots to create a more dramatic image.

There are lots of guides on the web so have a good look around and you'll be ready for the next storm.
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 12:15   #15
Pookie
Results May Vary

Pookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teelzebub View Post
Unlikely "Act of God"
Take the chuch to court to recover the costs
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 12:19   #16
fix-the-spade
Ultramodder

fix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinix View Post
It's a 2003 Skoda Fabia, the cost of repair is likely three or four times what it's worth anyway. The dents are just a bit more character, I drive around in a dirt cheap car for exactly this reason.
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 12:26   #17
Kronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadda View Post
@Kronos - if you want to try and photograph lightning, you need to be using a tripod and fairly long exposures. The bolts are far too quick to capture by just firing off frames. You might also want to stack several shots to create a more dramatic image.

There are lots of guides on the web so have a good look around and you'll be ready for the next storm.
I find I am unable to grasp even the basic settings in manual. I have watched videos, have bought a book (Dummies) for my camera but to no avail. I need to find someone I can personally annoy with constant questions who can then show me what to do as I fear i will never get there.
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 12:30   #18
fix-the-spade
Ultramodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
Take the chuch to court to recover the costs
Won't work, I'm demonstrably not Billy Connolly.

#EDIT.

Did better than my Dad, the weather cracked the windscreen on his van! Luckily insurance is covering that and he's getting a new screen in Tuesday.

Last edited by fix-the-spade; 2nd Jul 2015 at 20:27.
fix-the-spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 19:36   #19
adrock
Caninus Nervous Rex

adrock is definitely a rep cheat.adrock is definitely a rep cheat.adrock is definitely a rep cheat.adrock is definitely a rep cheat.adrock is definitely a rep cheat.adrock is definitely a rep cheat.adrock is definitely a rep cheat.adrock is definitely a rep cheat.adrock is definitely a rep cheat.adrock is definitely a rep cheat.adrock is definitely a rep cheat.
Yeah, i saw it all, my room window faces north east. i opened the window just in time for the single loudest thunderclap i've heard in years; it properly rattled my flat. Really awesome stuff. i did notice the streetlights going off at the larger strikes, then flickering back on when they realised it was still night.

http://www.lightningmaps.org/shows strikes all over the shop for last night
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 20:53   #20
Yadda
All the beer and no IKEA.

Yadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
I find I am unable to grasp even the basic settings in manual. I have watched videos, have bought a book (Dummies) for my camera but to no avail. I need to find someone I can personally annoy with constant questions who can then show me what to do as I fear i will never get there.
I see. Keep at it, one day it'll "click" and suddenly make sense.

(I almost launched into a EV/fstop lecture but I'll spare you the pain as it's more likely to confuse than enlighten. You really need someone to give you a hands-on demo.)

Last edited by Yadda; 2nd Jul 2015 at 21:10.
Yadda is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode