bit-tech.net

Old 27th Sep 2014, 22:28   #1
Cerberus90
petrolhead

Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.
Car Stereo

Getting to the point of ordering the stereo for the Taimar rebuild now as the dash is almost ready to go in.

I'm currently thinking that I'm going to go with a mechless stereo, as it should be a bit lighter, possibly a bit shorter and won't skip on bumpy roads.

Is something like this or this going to be a complete waste of time/money/effort?

Cheapest branded alternative I can find is a Pioneeer unit at 49.99.

The car is going to be quite noisy inside, and at the moment, all we've got are two 10cm Pioneer speakers in the doors. The stereo will probably only be used on long journeys to stop cabin fever,

Also got a question about the ISO wiring for the stereo. There's the male and female connectors, which one goes where. I think the male plug should be wired into the car, with the female one being attached to whatever stereo is fitted. Is this correct?

Cheers

Cerberus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2014, 01:24   #2
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I wouldn't bother with an in-dash-stereo.

Get speakers and an amplifier and connect it to an MP3-player or your smartphone when you need it. The 3.5mm plug for doing so can be tugged into the glove-compartment or somewhere between the frontseats.

This way you can build a cleaner console and probably get better sound aswell.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2014, 11:01   #3
Cerberus90
petrolhead

Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.
The only trouble then is, won't you need to pick up the MP3 player / phone to change tracks etc?

What sort of money is needed to get a basic amp? Saw a few on ebay, again from china that were between 10 and 20. These actually had USB/SD card slots and a remote, so removes the need to pick up a phone etc.

Old 28th Sep 2014, 11:46   #4
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Imho there's no difference between handling the in-dash system or a seperate MP3-player/smartphone. Also the smartphone can simultanously be used for navigation.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2014, 14:22   #5
Cerberus90
petrolhead

Might not be, but from the laws point of view there is.

Plus, with a head unit that has a remote, you can work the remote while still looking at the road once you know where the buttons are.

Any suggestions for amps? Could be used, but I'd have to look at where it could be mounted. Got to bear in mind that this is a 1978 two seater sports car.

Old Yesterday, 22:07   #6
Cleggmeister
Of reasonable knowledge...

Cleggmeister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cleggmeister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cleggmeister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cleggmeister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cleggmeister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cleggmeister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cleggmeister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cleggmeister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cleggmeister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cleggmeister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cleggmeister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I put a mechless unit into my 25 year old Merc over Xmas. 75 for the Alpine UTE72BT and around 30 for a tiny 64GB USB memory stick. Also bought an ISO to bare wire block to simplify installation. Well worth it IMO, so much better than faffing with CD and friends can DJ if they have a Bluetooth phone. Oh, hands free phone too with the included mic.
Serving: HP Proliant Microserver N40L running Openmediavault.
Cleggmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:15   #7
Cerberus90
petrolhead

Well I've gone ahead and bought one of the mechless units from Hong Kong for 15.

If it's no good, then it's only 15, if it works fine then I've saved myself some money, .

Going to do the same clegg with the ISO cabling. There is no wiring at all in the car for stereo yet as I'm rewiring the entire thing, also the car was before the time of ISO anyway, but I'm going to put them in incase I want to switch stereos at a later date.

Old Yesterday, 22:22   #8
GaryP
RIP mate

GaryP is a Super Spamming SaiyanGaryP is a Super Spamming SaiyanGaryP is a Super Spamming SaiyanGaryP is a Super Spamming SaiyanGaryP is a Super Spamming SaiyanGaryP is a Super Spamming SaiyanGaryP is a Super Spamming SaiyanGaryP is a Super Spamming SaiyanGaryP is a Super Spamming SaiyanGaryP is a Super Spamming SaiyanGaryP is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The ones you linked to on ebay look no safer than this one
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H100 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | 1000W Silverstone Strider Plus PSU | PNY GTX580 Liquid Cooled | 128 GB Crucial M4 SSD | 2 2TB Hitachi SATA HDD | 2 x 1.5TB Samsung F2 SATA HDD | Asus Xonar D2X Soundcard | NZXT 810 Case | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit | Dual 27" Monitors
GaryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:03   #9
Margo Baggins
I'm good at Soldering

Margo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Have you a halfords near you?

I have a philips head unit - I think it was only 40 quid, has front and back usb, connects up to iphones or ipods and allows control on the headunit, has an SD slot, FM radio and you can get a dab box for it for about another 40 quid. It also charges usb devices from any of the usb ports even if they are not the selected source.

Honestly I love my head unit, it was cheap, has a 32gb sd card in it full of music so its always got something it can play, and I can plug my iphone in - it will charge, do my navigation and play my music.

edit: Just read the rest fo the thread and you've bought one - would be interested to hear how you get on with that as 15 quid is super cheap!

Get a Geek Box

i7 3820 4.3ghz - 8GB 2133mhz - GTX580 SOC

keyboards.
Margo Baggins is online now   Reply With Quote

View Mode