bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 1st Nov 2009, 10:05   #1
Sleepstreamer
I modded christmas!

Sleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Project: Prime - Update: May 21st - Yes, really

Hey there, time for a new project!

The name basically comes from this beeing the largest case I've ever built, measuring at roughly 650x350x350mm, with room for two PSUs and up to 18 3.5"" (inch) drives. This also means there's plenty of space for eye-candy .

I haven't really got any renderings of the finished exterior, so I'm pretty much making it up as I go along (which is fine by me). I do have a cad drawing of the interior, giving you guys a view of the setup

Also before I start, a huge thanks to my sponsors!

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo 1989
FSP - AC Ryan - Matrix Orbital - ASUS - G.Skill - Nexustek

Last edited by Sleepstreamer; 26th Jan 2010 at 10:56.
Sleepstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2009, 11:07   #2
Sleepstreamer
I modded christmas!

Sleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Starting by cutting out the front and back from a sheet of 3mm aluminium.

The real reason why I got the idea of this case is when I saw a pair of 60x50x6mm aluminium profiles at my work, which could work great as a frame. So I got them and cut them up, then mounted the panels on them.

Tapping the edges with M4.

Mounted!

Starting on the inner panels, 2mm slu.

Cables from the psu will be routed through here later on.

HDD-Cages: There'll be two of them, each holding up to 9 drives. They are also removable. The cages are actually sandwiched between two 10mm acrylic pieces that slots them into place

The plates that holds cage to the frame:

The thicker 5mm pieces tapped with M3, and mounted to form a nearly completed hdd-cage

There:

This is like three weeks of work in a handful of pictures, but now the worklog is up to date
Everything after this will be in real time.

/Sleepstreamer
"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo 1989

Last edited by Sleepstreamer; 1st Nov 2009 at 15:21.
Old 1st Nov 2009, 12:49   #3
Dark~3nergy
what was dat sandvich ?

Dark~3nergy has yet to learn the way of the DremelDark~3nergy has yet to learn the way of the DremelDark~3nergy has yet to learn the way of the DremelDark~3nergy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
yeeeeeeeaaaaah !! more Sleepstreamer awesomeness !
can't wait to see more !
|||||||||
Dark~3nergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2009, 13:20   #4
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Man, that's awesome!

Subbed
Old 1st Nov 2009, 16:14   #5
kureshii
Minimodder

kureshii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks like it's gonna be epic Subbed.
kureshii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2009, 16:15   #6
ringo
Supermodder

ringo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very cool, good work.
ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2009, 17:26   #7
shomann
Supermodder

shomann has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Woah. 6mm thick profiles? Color me impressed. I thought 3mm stuff was overkill

Very, very cool design. Watching.
shomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2009, 17:47   #8
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
I love how you post logs. There's a complete frame in your very first post. That sleepstreamer is back makes me sooooooo happy!
I like the 45 degree steps in the motherboard tray, and the matching wire wall. and... well, all of it!
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2009, 17:51   #9
oliverw92
Supermodder

oliverw92 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeloliverw92 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Stellar work mate, jealous of you having your own CNC router.

Sent you a pm btw.
oliverw92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2009, 20:38   #10
Cleveland216
Carbon Fiber King

Cleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great Work! I feel like such a noob not being able to use CAD. I see you are using 3mm AL, what is your wieght looking like on your case. I'm using 2mm AL n 1mm AL on my case and it is already starting to get heavy to me. Unless you dont mind the wieght.
Cleveland216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2009, 21:27   #11
The Twisted One
Minimodder

The Twisted One has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sweet design - And no mucking about in progress as well.

Any ideas on internal colours at this stage ?
The Twisted One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2009, 21:29   #12
bigkingfun
Tinkering addict

bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Nice to see you at it again.
It is indeed looking very promising.

My guess it will be a server of some sorts, but what will you be using for once it is done?
Also, how will you protect the aluminum surfaces of the finished case?

Thankyou
bigkingfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2009, 23:43   #13
Sleepstreamer
I modded christmas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland216 View Post
Great Work! I feel like such a noob not being able to use CAD. I see you are using 3mm AL, what is your wieght looking like on your case. I'm using 2mm AL n 1mm AL on my case and it is already starting to get heavy to me. Unless you dont mind the wieght.
I haven't got any info on the weight right now other than I can carry it without any problems, but considering the amount of hardware going inside this thing, I think saving some weight is rather pointless. It's gonna weigh a heck of alot whatever I do with it. Better to make it rigid and robust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Twisted One View Post
Sweet design - And no mucking about in progress as well.

Any ideas on internal colours at this stage ?
Possibly satin black (gee that's a surprise), but no. I haven't really thought about it as of yet tbh. I did have an idea of painting the inside white, but we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingfun View Post
Nice to see you at it again.
It is indeed looking very promising.

My guess it will be a server of some sorts, but what will you be using for once it is done?
Also, how will you protect the aluminum surfaces of the finished case?

Thankyou
Nah it's actually for my main workstation. I'm now using an extended (modded) Antec p190 case which is like a skyscraper, the atmosphere is pretty damn thin up at the optical drives :P

Depends on what I decide to do, but it'll most likely be painted.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 01:16   #14
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
So you been gone for a while and think you can just stroll back in and impress us?

Well. It Worked.

Excellent first project post and welcome back!

john
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 13:03   #15
Reverse
Reverse/srvR

Reverse has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
OH
MY
GOD.

(that is amazing.)
Reverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 15:27   #16
Bouly
Multimodder

Bouly has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very nice work, I also use "Rhinoceros 3D" for modeled for my mod, very good software.
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 15:33   #17
elGafas
Myopic

elGafas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice work, subscribed!!!