1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News P2P drives higher sales

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I've bought more after pirating it than I would have normally - 1-30 second clips of songs on iTunes, for example, is enough to tell me whether I like that 10-30 seconds of a song.

Without hearing something first, eh. Sod the whole thing, typically.

3. NeedlesKane

NeedlesKane You're a Dremel

For me its more a case of i'm not going to pay for a download, i'll happily pay for a hard copy., but its good to sample first. Also I wouldnt've bought half the music ive downloaded in the first place

4. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Not downloaded anything for a couple of years now!

When I did pirate though I definitely spent more. I used to get all sorts of random rubbish which meant I heard a far more diverse range of music, and upon discovering an artist I liked would happily part with cash for CDs when seeing them cheap in HMV. Now I don't listen to too much, I tend to stick to artists I know and only get select tracks. Plus of course things are free on spotify!

5. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

The only way that they're gonna stop people from downloading music illegally is by making an app like limewire which is ad supported, and every 3 or so songs you download the ad would change, but of course, the ads would have to take place at the side of the app without any way to annoy the user!.

6. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

How many people lied in this survey?

7. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Didn't you just describe spotify, :D

8. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

Never really bothered with any ligitamate online download service, thats partly due to sh*t marketing by these services, they are only going to make people aware of it by advertising on tele... I never view ads on the web, cuz majority of the ads that you click are some sort of virus, and when going through the news feeds from any web service, if the story is anything to do with music, I'll just ignore it... I only subscribe to news stories to read about Hardware, and maybe a little bit of software (such as DX11 or Firefox 3.6).

9. ano

ano 8-bit Bandit

"With the results of this survey - which plainly suggest that file sharing actually benefits the creative industries"

No it doesn't. You're seeing a correlation as proving causality. They don't necessarily spend more money on music because they download illegally.

10. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

if i dont know the band, or know if i like the music, then i'm not gonna spend close to 10 quid to find out. therefore, little bit of theivery later... i like the band, will buy their next CD and i may even go to one of their shows. so which one gets them the more cash?

11. fodder

fodder Minimodder

I certainly bought more when torrenting. Now I mostly use spotify, but the principle is the same.

The government will push through the three strikes rule. They are even publicly ignoring reliable evidence now (the cannabis fiasco) so the rise of the admin class from managing necessary paperwork to being the dictators of society is almost complete.

12. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

QFT :D

13. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

However being locked out of the internet at the behest of the music industry may cause them to rethink their spending priorities.

14. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

I just hope a decent party wins at the next elections, who know a little more about tech.

and maybe they will actually do their research on this, only to find that if they went ahead with the tsayo (three strikes and your out) plan, then all that people will do is just find workarounds so that no one will find out that they are downloading content illegally...

in the modern digital age labour just can't keep up, we certainly need a party without so many old pensioners running it!.

15. TomD22

TomD22 What's a Dremel?

Bittech, I think you must be misquoting or misinterpreting Ipsos Mori, 'cos they're a fairly respectable outfit and aren't bloody stupid enough to confuse correlation and causality as hopelessly as the above article has done.

The survey results say that the people who acquire the most music illegally also acquire the most legally. THAT DOES NOT IMPLY CAUSE AND EFFECT! It does not mean that "getting lots of music illegally makes them get lots legally too" as your headline and the article's 'analysis' claim. It just means there's a correlation. Which is simple enough to understand - the biggets music lovers tend to acquire the most music, from both legal and illegal sources.

16. TomD22

TomD22 What's a Dremel?

edit: apologies, I read the comments above, and I see people have already pointed this out.

17. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Its irrelevant:

18. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The thing about dowloading is this: It's for CDs that are too pricey and not very obtainable.

When I do buy CD's it's all in FLAC anyawys.

19. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

What I have been saying for years is true what a shocker.

20. Orothe

Orothe What's a Dremel?

I pirate but it's usually for specific songs. If I want ONE song from an artist, I don't want to go out and buy an album with 16 songs just so I can listen to that 1. However if there are artists that I love, (Imogen Heap, Frou Frou, AFI, just to name a few) I'll gladly buy their CD's and promote their sales.

Tags: Add Tags