bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 4th Nov 2009, 11:32   #1
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
VIA announces new Nano chip

VIA has announced a new Nano range - the Nano 3000 series - which it hopes will challenge Intel's dominance of the netbook market, offering improved performance over the Atom.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ew-nano-chip/1
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2009, 11:49   #2
BLC
Something witty goes here

BLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I would really like to see the maximum power draw figures - though that a pretty impressive figure for an idle power draw.

Forget about netbooks, if this lives up to it's promises it'll be ideal for HTPC builds.
BLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2009, 11:59   #3
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
If it decodes 1080p fine then yes it's a really awesome HTPC deal.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2009, 12:31   #4
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
Problem is, I don't think the Atom N270 Intel chipset is the combo to beat for an HTPC - the real target here would be the N330/Ion combo from nVidia. With power consumption way below Intel's chipset and the ability to decode 1080p using CUDA, it's a much better HTPC offering than Intel's Atom offerings.
Old 4th Nov 2009, 12:35   #5
TomH
Bwahahahahaha

TomH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot
Problem is, I don't think the Atom N270 Intel chipset is the combo to beat for an HTPC - the real target here would be the N330/Ion combo from nVidia. With power consumption way below Intel's chipset and the ability to decode 1080p using CUDA, it's a much better HTPC offering than Intel's Atom offerings.
In all fairness, these benchmarks were designed to highlight the CPU vs. CPU performance. What it highlights is that potentially these new Via chips will be an even better companion for Ion than the Atom line.

<unsure> Nvidia themselves have said Ion 2 won't be an Intel solution, haven't they? </unsure>

Last edited by TomH; 28th Nov 2009 at 16:55.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2009, 12:56   #6
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm always amazed how few Nano powered netbooks there are in the shops. If I was going to buy a netbook, I'd make sure I bought a Nano.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2009, 13:03   #7
l3v1ck

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Now here's a question: Which is more powerful, a mobile Athlon 64 3200+ (clawhammer 2.0ghz with 1mb L2 cache) or the new 2.0 ghz Nano?
I find my Athlon laptop powerful enough for my needs, but power efficiency isn't one of its strong points. Rather than just netbooks, would these new Nano's be good enough for full size budget laptops? And when can we expect dual core Nano's?
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
Old 4th Nov 2009, 13:11   #8
l3v1ck

Quote:
Do you think it's about time that Intel got some competition in the low-power x86 marketplace, or should netbook manufacturers make the leap to ARM for real gains in battery life?
Not unless Microsoft release a ARM version of Windows 7 Starter edition.
Old 4th Nov 2009, 13:16   #9
eek
CAMRA ***.

eek has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think that a mobile Althon 64 will probably perform slightly faster, but depending on what you want to use your budget laptop for Ithink both would perform equally and it'd be hard to tell the difference under everyday use.

I use my netbook (atom based) for internet, films, office (word, excel, outlook mainly) and poker and it is more than capable. The other half runs a celeron based laptop and I would use the atom in preference. Assuming your usage isn't much more intensive, the new nano would be even better.
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2009, 13:52   #10
pizan
that's n00b-tastic

pizan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Isn't the ION2 planned for this chip?
Old 4th Nov 2009, 16:33   #11
l3v1ck

Are these things still built on 65nm or are we getting a die shrink?
Old 4th Nov 2009, 17:40   #12
Icy EyeG
Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Icy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizan View Post
Isn't the ION2 planned for this chip?
I sure hope so... ION+Nano would be my next netbook.
Icy EyeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2009, 19:59   #13
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
maybe this is the CPU that will be used with the whole ION2 that nVidia was talking about???
• DimasTech Test Bench • Black ICE Triple 120 Rad • Dual Bay Res/Pump • DD Fill Port & Res • D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block • ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo • AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz • 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory • (2) AMD 6870 XFire • (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 • (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE • Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive • ASUS XONAR DX2 • 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD • (2) 23" ASUS LCD • ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER • (4) NOCTUA P12 • (2) NOCTUA P14 • 1000W ZALMAN PSU • WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 •
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2009, 13:38   #14
AshT
Custom User Title

AshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
At last, 1080p. All I want now is for whatever device uses the chip to be HDMI out and that's my movie collection sorted for hotel visits.
AshT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2009, 16:23   #15
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
N330-based ION board already handle 1080p fine, and have HDMI ports too.
Old 8th Nov 2009, 18:26   #16
AshT
Custom User Title

AshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Flibblebot, do you know if the board is used in a netbook already?
Old 9th Nov 2009, 11:03   #17
Flibblebot
Smile with me

I think several laptop brands have announced ION netbooks, including Samsung & Lenovo. Asus are also bringing out an N330/ION Eee PC (model 1201N)

They're all on the horizon, due to land within the next couple of months, according to rumours.
Old 9th Nov 2009, 18:42   #18
AshT
Custom User Title

Ah I thought you were hinting a product was available to go now. I got a spam mail from Creative the other day on that Zii product they are pushing, apparently 1080p and HDMI out and the size of an iPhone or thereabouts ... must read it when I find the time!
Old 10th Nov 2009, 22:47   #19
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Any word on if they're going to do mini-ITX boards on this? I just ordered a Via PC 3500 board for my (nearly) silent fileserver project, but I'm already looking at an upgrade path.