bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 5th Nov 2009, 18:20   #1
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hardware 8 - Many CPUs, Dream PCs and mobile gaming

We're back with another Hardware Podcast - so good it's spelled in capitals. Rich, Harry and Clive get together to talk about all the hot (and just power-efficient) hardware of the last fortnight. Tune in to hear what we think of Intel's Atom (clue - it's not very good, is it?) Via's new Nano processor and news on what Intel's up to.

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/podcast...mobile-gaming/

Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2009, 18:25   #2
GFC
Multimodder

GFC has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yes! It's here!
I love this podcast. x)

P.S. I really hope next Gaming podcast will have a lot of borderlands in it. Best game of the year!
GFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Nov 2009, 00:12   #3
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Yes! It's here!
I love this podcast. x)

P.S. I really hope next Gaming podcast will have a lot of borderlands in it. Best game of the year!
agree to everything!

24" monitor "is FINE"?? look at Apple iMac 27inch and tell me 24inch is fine!

a PC that's sleek, minimalistic, and very quiet: i think you just described my PC

lol, agree with gaming laptops part: they are completely USELESS!
[rant] they are not even half as fast, for more than twice the price. it's hot, it's heavy and it's a brick! desktop PC are the only real good gaming machines. laptops will NEVER become a good gaming platform, considering the weight and heat. only when a netbook sized laptop drive a 24inch screen running the latest game at maximum frame rates, it also has to be able to upgrade graphics component easily. and as light as netbook nowadays [/rant]

i was given the impression during the podcast that i7 lynnfied have an extra memory multiplier above i5's?? does that mean it's able to do 1600Mhz at stock speed? i5 750 can do 6x/8x/10x. can the i7 lynnfield do 12x?

Atom is respectable, not that bad, able to do simple spreadsheet and view videos, enough for portable uses.

in the end, i somehow prefer the hardware podcast, not sure either because i can connect with more of it's stuff or it's less grumpy.
Old 6th Nov 2009, 08:38   #4
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu

P
lol, agree with gaming laptops part: they are completely USELESS!
[rant] they are not even half as fast, for more than twice the price. it's hot, it's heavy and it's a brick! desktop PC are the only real good gaming machines. laptops will NEVER become a good gaming platform, considering the weight and heat. only when a netbook sized laptop drive a 24inch screen running the latest game at maximum frame rates, it also has to be able to upgrade graphics component easily. and as light as netbook nowadays [/rant]
Hmmm the fact I have been playing L4D2 and borderlands maxed out on my £900 Advent 6555 last night means I have to disagree with you.

I can game on it whereever I want to in the house or plug it into a keyboard/mouse & monitor for a psuedo desktop setup as well. To boot, it also uses considerably less power than my desktop pc as well (although given thats a overclocked i7 / GTX260 SLI setup, thats a given...).

I will agree though, spending 2k+ on a relatively underpowered Gaming laptop (which run the Nvidia GPUS) is madness, this is why I spend well under 1k and got the same experience (Quad core / HD4850m cheesecake!!).
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Nov 2009, 08:48   #5
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu View Post
i was given the impression during the podcast that i7 lynnfied have an extra memory multiplier above i5's?? does that mean it's able to do 1600Mhz at stock speed? i5 750 can do 6x/8x/10x. can the i7 lynnfield do 12x?
Yes.

Apple 27" is a TN panel afaik.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Nov 2009, 10:09   #6
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
listening to this now i feel you failed to mention the lawsuits when discussing the A64 market share against P4 and how much of an effect that had on the fact that A64 didnt take as much as it should have
Old 6th Nov 2009, 10:58   #7
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Apple iMac 27inch is "27"WS LG.Display IPS (LM270WQ1)" according to tftcentral.co.uk. and it's the only one of its kind sporting 30inch width in pixel count. that's why im ultra-excited: it's the poor-man's 30inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaser04 View Post
Hmmm the fact I have been playing L4D2 and borderlands maxed out on my £900 Advent 6555 last night means I have to disagree with you.

I can game on it whereever I want to in the house or plug it into a keyboard/mouse & monitor for a psuedo desktop setup as well. To boot, it also uses considerably less power than my desktop pc as well (although given thats a overclocked i7 / GTX260 SLI setup, thats a given...).

I will agree though, spending 2k+ on a relatively underpowered Gaming laptop (which run the Nvidia GPUS) is madness, this is why I spend well under 1k and got the same experience (Quad core / HD4850m cheesecake!!).
being laptop can your lap support the thing? is it really portable? did it burn your desk? how's that low 1440x900 resolution treating your eyes?
(i know the Asus "gaming" laptop i played at the Asus event sucked big time, it's too bright and race driver grid looks horrible without AA/AF on that low resolution screen)

there is never best of both worlds, the only way to get true portability and gaming performance is to get a desktop and a netbook. gaming laptops are a failed attempt at both.
Old 9th Nov 2009, 20:49   #8
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Downloading it now. I'll put my feet up with a whisky and listen to it this evening.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2009, 14:49   #9
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
Im loving the podcasts at the moment guys

Can we please get Harry to say some more silly things?
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2009, 14:50   #10
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankz View Post
Can we please get Harry to say some more silly things?
I'm sure that won't be a problem

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote