bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 9th Nov 2009, 14:05   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
YouTube gets (unofficial) HTML 5 support

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...ml-5-support/1

NeoSmart Technologies has released a front end for YouTube which provides a way for users to watch videos without the need for Adobe's Flash Player, via HTML 5.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2009, 14:17   #2
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Good idea, but no use to me.
Old 9th Nov 2009, 14:21   #3
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Will it be possible for me to watch Youtube from work if I have the video link with this?

Not that I slack off at work or anything...
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2009, 14:45   #4
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I tried it but not working in ff3.5
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2009, 15:02   #5
reflux
Multimodder

reflux has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Not working here in Opera 10.01.
reflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2009, 15:43   #6
UncertainGod
Ultramodder

UncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's dead already.

PSN ID: Sp4rkR4t
UncertainGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2009, 16:01   #7
Evildead666
Supermodder

Evildead666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If its MP4 it can be hardware accelerated and maybe even upscaled by the GPU ?
That would be sweet. no more blockies....
Old 9th Nov 2009, 16:24   #8
alpaca
llama eats dremel

alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
nice idea, no use yet
Old 9th Nov 2009, 16:25   #9
Shagbag
All glory to the Hypnotoad!

Shagbag has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
the restrictive licensing on the MP4 codec meant that the Mozilla Foundation chose not to ship MP4 support with the browser as standard.
Too bloody right. I am sick to death of proprietary video and audio codecs. The whole situation is a bloody mess and the sooner companies are forced into open codecs, the better it is for us consumers.

NeoSmart can go ahead with their silly font-end but it's not what should be happening. Video and audio codecs should be free so that anyone can get their content on the web without having to pay someone for the privilege. I really hope Google's acquisition of On2 goes in this direction. Google has the power to liberate the web from selfish proprietary interests.

I also don't want the security of my web browser to be compromised by a binary blob whose security patching is subject to the whim of a closed source company that doesn't see it as 'profitable' to patch ASAP.
Shagbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2009, 16:35   #10
scawp
Multimodder

scawp has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"You must have an HTML5 capable browser."
Opera 10.01 :-S
scawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2009, 16:37   #11
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
The link is dead already.

Edit: Actually the whole neosmart website is down.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2009, 17:13   #12
ffjason
Multimodder

ffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysis
Not working on FF3.6 either. Shame.

Edit: Site isn't down - don't know what you're on about.
ffjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2009, 20:35   #13
flibblesan
Destroyer

flibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbag View Post
Too bloody right. I am sick to death of proprietary video and audio codecs. The whole situation is a bloody mess and the sooner companies are forced into open codecs, the better it is for us consumers.

NeoSmart can go ahead with their silly font-end but it's not what should be happening. Video and audio codecs should be free so that anyone can get their content on the web without having to pay someone for the privilege. I really hope Google's acquisition of On2 goes in this direction. Google has the power to liberate the web from selfish proprietary interests.

I also don't want the security of my web browser to be compromised by a binary blob whose security patching is subject to the whim of a closed source company that doesn't see it as 'profitable' to patch ASAP.
You sound like a Linux user...
flibblesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2009, 21:04   #14
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
alot of the stuff doesn't seem to work yet.. couldn't get it to go full screen or stream

least with firefox.. lemme look at the code some more- aye nm just wait till they fix it

screen.. looks like it will be just like using flash

thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2009, 01:41   #15
livesabitch
life is what you make it!

livesabitch has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i think im going to have to try this on chrome! lets see!!!!!
Old 10th Nov 2009, 07:08   #16
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I just download most stuff from YT anyway. HD MP4 cheesecake!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
I! I! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2009, 11:52   #17
SomeoneNotQuite
What's a Dremel?

SomeoneNotQuite has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So HD Youtube on ION? Sounds very promissing for those of us who are desperate for it and can't wait for Adobe to get its act together on the GPU front
SomeoneNotQuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Nov 2009, 21:07   #18
Saivert
Supermodder

Saivert has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@fibblesan: I'm not a Linux user but I have to agree with Shagbag. Open video codecs and standards are for the best and I would like Mozilla to keep supporting only open and free video standards and never ever implement support for MPEG4 systems codecs.
Firefox is used by a lot of people so they might have some power to change how web sites are implemented.

Google plays both hands here by both supporting open codecs and going for MPEG4 because they have already bought into it heavily with all content on YouTube being encoded in MPEG4 (H.264 + AAC). They have the power to improve on the open and free video codecs if they still think MPEG4 is the best codec family.