bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 23rd Nov 2009, 10:19   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Smoking voids Apple warranties

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...e-warranties/1

Apple's US arm appears to have taken the decision to void the Applecare warranties of Mac owners who happen to smoke - describing the residue as a "bio-hazard."

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 10:23   #2
Xen0phobiak
SMEGHEADS!

Xen0phobiak has yet to learn the way of the DremelXen0phobiak has yet to learn the way of the DremelXen0phobiak has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As a PC tech, I think this is a great idea. I hate working on smokers machines.

World of Tanks profile
Xen0phobiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 10:28   #3
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
i have had laptops come in before that absolutely stink i completely agree with apple on this one
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 10:29   #4
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Xen0, that is all nice, but unless it is written in warranty description that smoking voids the warranty then what they do is illegal.
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 10:30   #5
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Independently if you like it or not, if there's nothing stated in Warranty Agreement, then they should work on the PC IMHO. Nothing a health-care worker's mask won't solve.

The only difficulty is obtaining the mask, with all the nut-jobs thinking it'll save them from the flu. But that's another story.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 10:34   #6
Javerh
Topiary Golem

Javerh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What about the bio-hazard from infected people bringing their laptops in for maintenance? Or the infected ones in Apple stores! Run for the safe house!
Modders make project logs. Project logs make mods. Mods make modders.
Javerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 10:39   #7
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Right to not work on the units, wrong to omit it from TACs
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 10:44   #8
frojoe
Multimodder

frojoe has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Somewhere in the forums there are pictures from the inside of a smokers machine, truly disgusting. I guess it should be in the warranty info, but at the same time legally they could probably throw it in under the part where if you break it yourself, its not their problem. Residue from cigs is probably harder to remove than just blowing off dust as well.
frojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 10:44   #9
Evildead666
Supermodder

Evildead666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin
Xen0, that is all nice, but unless it is written in warranty description that smoking voids the warranty then what they do is illegal.
Yes. They cannot refuse. If they've updated the terms for support and repair, they should say it out loud now :

"If you're a smoker, don't buy apple. We won't repair it, even under warranty".

like to see how many reporters and graphics designers etc will give up their Macs now.....
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 10:46   #10
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Curry powder laptop nearly made me vomit... cancer sticks are ANTI social - ul smokers!
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 10:49   #11
dire_wolf
Last Of The Dovakhiin

dire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for president
I smoke myself but never near my PC, having worked on a few machines used by heavy smokers I can't blame apple, I had one that was completely gunged up, yellow/orange layer of thick sticky dust all over, made me puke. Can't blame them but they really should update their t&c's and make customers aware of it before purcahse to cover their own arses.
dire_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 10:51   #12
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Serves you right for buying a Mac... to avoid getting clusterfvcked in the future.... by a PC
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 10:54   #13
FatMikel
Statistically not that fat...

FatMikel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The Apple warranty states:

The warranty does not apply: (d) to damage caused by accident, ABUSE, misuse, flood, fire, yadda yadda yadda.

Ergo; smoking near the machine and knowingly (come on, everyone knows smoking leaves it's dirt on everything surrounding it) clogging up the machine's internals with cigeratte smoke/yuckiness could be argued as a case of abuse of the machine and therefore Apple are well within their own terms to refuse to fix the machines.

It's akin to regularly dumping the machine into a septic tank, arguably.

Simples.
FatMikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 11:03   #14
chimaera
Multimodder

chimaera has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Depends on your perspective really - you could also argue damage caused by smoking is self inflicted, and therefore no different to knocking a glass of OJ into the equipment - and the warranty doesn't cover that either.

Personally having taken apart the computer owned by one of my older relatives that still smokes I can't blame them, the interior of that machine was possibly one of the most disgusting things I have ever had to work ok
chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 11:07   #15
scawp
Multimodder

scawp has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
One simple solution is to block the intake fans, that way no smoke can get in. done.
scawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 11:12   #16
FatMikel
Statistically not that fat...

FatMikel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by scawp View Post
Not problem because apple products don't break, as I keep getting told by all you apple fanboys.

Serves you right for buying apples you pretentious w**kers.
Well, generally they don't when they're not abused.

Yeah, because buying a stylish, generally powerful piece of hardware that runs a sublime OS that delivers a user experience much greater than that of Windows, particularly for new computer users, makes them pretentious w**kers.

Grow up.
FatMikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 11:13   #17
digitaldave
Multimodder

digitaldave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
OK, what if your girlfriend smokes, you use your apple in the same room as her then something unrelated happens to your apple mac.

apple should be ashamed of themselves this is just worming out of warranties and this sort of behaviour is what scares me most about apple becoming more popular.

(typing this from a mac but not near a smoker, thankfully)
digitaldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 11:18   #18
AshT
Custom User Title

AshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
Are you saying there is nothing written in the warranty that says something similiar to "caused by the user"?
AshT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 11:24   #19
scawp
Multimodder

scawp has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatMikel
Quote:
Originally Posted by scawp View Post
Not problem because apple products don't break, as I keep getting told by all you apple fanboys.

Serves you right for buying apples you pretentious w**kers.
Well, generally they don't when they're not abused.

Yeah, because buying a stylish, generally powerful piece of hardware that runs a sublime OS that delivers a user experience much greater than that of Windows, particularly for new computer users, makes them pretentious w**kers.

Grow up.
Tetchy arn't we :-)

Apples do break, there not as reliable as "you people" make out (just have a quick search on google). Also style is of individual preference (unless your a sheep of course).

Apple products are vastly overpriced, lets buy a 1000 Mac and a 1000 PC and lets see what has the most "powerful hardware" shall we?

Personally I don't like the MacOS but its alright I suppose, I'll be sticking to Debian/WinXP to be honest.
scawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 11:27   #20
AshT
Custom User Title

AshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"experiencing problems with overheating - caused, more than likely, by smoke residue gumming up the fan and covering the heatsinks"

This is the fundamental issue with the rejections. Using health as a reason ... yeah right, you can side swipe that and bring it down to the computers going wrong due to NEGLIGENCE. I was a smoker for a couple of decades and practically chained in front of my computers but NEVER was I such a dirty ******* that my fans got clogged up with tar/reidues from smoking. The sad sacks that were rejected deserved it. Dirty *******s.
AshT is offline   Reply With Quote